Dragon Warriors RPG

Lancelot

Adventurer
Some differences from D&D:

1) Armor doesn't reduce your chances of being hit. Instead, it can negate blows that hit. Each attack needs to make a simple "Armor Bypass Roll" to see if it gets past the armor.

2) The ruleset is reminiscent of OD&D Rules Cyclopedia. It doesn't have the complexity of AD&D, let alone 3e or 4e. Having said that, it's elegant and self-contained. The one book is enough to run a surprisingly extensive campaign / game world.

3) Like OD&D, martial classes start off as the most durable... but are quickly overshadowed by the arcane classes. Most arcane classes use "magic points" rather than Vancian memorization, and can cast any spell of a level that they can access. Mystics have a unique mechanism where they can cast an infinite amount of spells... until they fail a casting roll and are thereafter "psychically fatigued" for the rest of the day.

4) All classes are much more fragile than their D&D equivalents, as HP do not increase quickly. Further, there is no level where you are "safe" from lower-level creatures. Half-a-dozen men-at-arms will still be a serious threat to a high-level knight, as he'll have to split his defense (AC) to defend against each one... and he can still only take 3-4 hits before going down.

5) The world is gritty and very Olde English. Most potential employers have ulterior motives. Even the "good" lords are capable of heinous acts, and tolerate no disrespect from their servants. Elves are soulless ratfink bastards who will murder people in cold blood if they feel like it. The crusades are huge, and there are no white hats - the Knights Capellar are corrupt, their Ta'ashim opponents are maniacal, both sides readily use the Marijah Assassins, and a lot of innocents get caught in the crossfire.

6) For me, the campaign fluff and treatment of "realistic" medieval situations is the main draw. The rules are entertaining in a nostalgic way, but the adventures and world-building are truly evocative and can be applied readily to other rules systems. For example, pages of detail on how languages relate to each other, or how medieval justice works, or adventure seeds which have a basis in real world history... but ever so slightly "fantasized".

dm4hire

Explorer
I have all three of the books so far and love the look of them. I remember the game when it first came out but didn't like the paperback look. Had they been in the current format I probably would have bought them and been a long time fan by now, but such is life. I definitely recommend it if you're looking for something D&D like, but with less books. I'm hoping to get a game together some day as I really want to try the system out. Will have to wait till after HEX and Desolation though.

RFisher

Explorer
I've seen this game mentioned several times, but I don't know anything about it. The information on the linked site is very vague... could you tell me more about this game?

Imagine if B/X D&D had been written by Brits. ^_^ Mechanically, it seems to me like a long lost cousin of B/X. Flavor-wise, it’s closer to Warhammer FRP, but less gonzo.

If that helps at all. Anyway, that’s the impression based on spending a little time with the gamebooks in 2005 and currently reading the new edition.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I think I am another person who will forever think about Erdrick and defeating Slimes with a Pointed Stick whenever I hear about this tabletop RPG. Which is a bit strange, actually, since the original Dragon Quest videogame was brought to the US under the name Dragon Warrior specifically to avoid sharing a name with the tabletop RPG DragonQuest...

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Thanks for the information.

Are there any skills or does the choice of the class completely determines the capabilities of a character?

Lancelot

Adventurer
Choice of class completely determines the character.

There are a handful of skills (class abilities) that can be selected within each class, usually at higher levels. For example, a higher level knight can choose (each level) to pick up additional skills like Main Gauche, Weaponskill, Master Bowman, Shield Expert, etc. However, no other class can select these skills.

It's very much in the line of Basic/Expert D&D... although the classes aren't quite as vanilla.

Also note that it is a human-centric system. There are basic rules for playing elves or dwarves as an option, but the game assumes most if not all characters are human. This is part of the charm. It doesn't feel like an alternate D&D atmosphere; it feels like a fantasized version of dark ages / medieval Europe.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Having recently started playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on my new Xbox 360, I was immediately struck with how Dragon Warriors reminded me of that. I played and enjoyed the game back when it was a mass-market series of gamebooks. Being a New Zealander, much of my early gaming experience was with Warlock of Firetop Mountain and the other Fighting Fantasy books. It was clever of Corgi to make these ones look so much like those, even though there was a complete game system included.

Cheers,
Cam

P

PaulofCthulhu

We had loads of fun playing the original Dragon Warriors back in the day. Sometimes we'd play it all through the night.

How naughty our "Brave Knights" were. :) I'm assuming it's generally considered impolitic to crossbow a sleeping old man to a tree..

Remove ads