• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn Warlord custom premade

deathdonut

First Post
I plan on running Raiders of Oakhurst this weekend and have a player who really wants to run a warlord as the party's only leader type. I realize there are a few more details out there, but thought the following would be appropriate. I apologize for the formatting limitations here.

A few questions:

1) Does this fit the spirit of the warlord class?
2) Does this fit the powerlevel of the DDXP pregens?
3) I pulled the "inspiring words" ability out of my crevasse since there have been no announced warlord healing powers. Is it too strong for an encounter power?

Shakrath Oknel
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Warlord
Level: 1

Quote: "You're only stupid and weak because you're lazy."

Ability Scores
STR 16 +3
CON 14 +2
DEX 10 +0
INT 16 +3
WIS 10 +0
CHA 14 +2

Initiative: 0
Speed: 6

Defenses
Armor Class: 19
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 15
Will: 13

Status
Hit Points: 26
Bloodied: 13
Healing Surges per Day: 8.
HP per Surge: 6

Wounds:

Second Wind Used?

Weapons
Spear (1-handed), +5 vs AC, 1d8+3, Versatile
Spear (2-handed), +5 vs AC, 1d8+4, Versatile
Spear (Thrown), +5 vs AC, 1d8+3, 10/20 range

Feats:
Tactical Assault - Once per encounter, an ally within 5 squares can add your intelligence bonus to his attack roll.

Skills:
Passive Insight 11
Passive Perception 15
Acrobatics +0
Athletics +8
Bluff +2
Heal +5
History +5
Insight +1
Intimidate +9
Perception +5
Stealth +0

Race and Class Features:
Dragonborn Fury (+1 bonus on attack rolls when bloodied)
Draconic Heritage: Green (already applied)
Dragon Breath (see powers)
Weapon Proficiency (already applied)
Inspiring Words (see powers)
Resistance 5 to poison

Languages: Common, Draconic
Vision: Normal

Equipment: Scale armor, heavy shield, 3 spears, cooking kit, Backpack, bedroll, flint, steel, belt pouch, 5 torches, 10 days rations, Hammer and spikes, waterskin, wineskin (extra strong)

Exploits

At Will Powers

Tactical Strike

Warlord - Attack 1
You attack an opponent hoping to force a mistake.
At-Will - Martial, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Melee vs AC
Hit: 1d8 + 3
Miss: The next attack against this foe before your next turn receives a +2 attack bonus.

Inspiring Attack
Warlord - Attack 1
Your attacks inspire your allies.
At-Will - Martial, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee
Attack: Melee vs AC
Hit: 1d8+3 damage and one ally within sight can make an immediate saving throw.

Encounter Powers

Dragon Breath

Dragonborn racial power
You breath a blast of poisonous gas.
Encounter - Poison
Minor action - Close Blast 3
Target: All creatures in the blast.
Attack: Str vs Reflex
Hit: 2d6+3 poison damage

Combination Attack
Warlord - Attack 1
Your attack sets up an ally for the perfect strike!
Encounter - weapon
Standard Action
Attack: Weapon vs AC
Hit: 1d8+3 and one ally can make a free melee attack against the same opponent.

Inspiring Words
Warlord Intrinsic power
You tell the slackers to stand the hell up!
Encounter
Minor action
Target: Close Blast 5
All allies in range may immediately use a healing surge if they have one available. If they choose to do so, they gain an additional 2 HP in healing.

Daily Powers

Pin the Foe

Warlord - Attack 1
No matter where your foe turns, one of your allies is waiting for him.
Daily
Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Melee vs. AC
Hit: 3d8+3
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, the target cannot shift if at least two of your allies (or you and one ally) are adjacent to it.

Last edited:

Ruined

Explorer
I think it's looking pretty good. Inspiring Words does less healing than a Cleric's Healing Word, but it heals all allies. Fairly powerful, but it is an encounter power, and you can only do it once whereas clerics can use their twice. If it needed to be limited, I'm guessing you could reduce the range. I presume the +2 is from the Warlord's Cha bonus?

Ruined

Explorer
I believe they said that Tactical Assault is a Heroic Tier feat (although at first glance, doesn't seem ultra-powerful), so that would probably need to be replaced.

EDIT: My mistake, got my level names mixed up.

Last edited:

Chibbot

First Post
Do we have a ruling (or more likely, consensus) about whether or not I count as my own ally? I don't think that I do, but I know there are arguments to the contrary. Either way, is it your intention that the Inspiring Words heal both me and all my allies within x, or do you mean for it to not include me?

Besides that, I think it looks great, and wish one of my lazy friends would get off their butts to run a 4e game so I can try it out. The dragonborn warlord is going to be the first character I play when 4e comes out.

deathdonut

First Post
Ruined said:
I believe they said that Tactical Assault is a Heroic Tier feat.
Heroic is level 1-10, so I thought it appropriate. Paragon is 11-20 and Epic is 21-30.

Ruined said:
I presume the +2 is from the Warlord's Cha bonus?
Correct.

Thanks for the feedback! Definately feel free to use this.

Ruined

Explorer
deathdonut said:
Heroic is level 1-10, so I thought it appropriate. Paragon is 11-20 and Epic is 21-30.

Oops, you got me. I'm so used to thinking of Heroic as something more than 1st level characters. =)

Verys Arkon

First Post
Ah, excellent - I'm working on adding Dragonborn and Warlords to the next PrRC, and I'm looking for more 'consensus' before I put it in. I know we don't have a lot of information so I'll be using an appendix to put in some Warlord powers to flesh it out a bit - do you mind if I use yours?

Some other things...

Ability Scores
Using either the 32 point-buy from PrRC or the point-buy from the 3.5 DMG, they seem to come up a little high?

Dragonborn Str +2, Cha +2 (excluded below)
Ability / 32 point-buy from PrRC / 3.5 DMG point-buy
Str 16 (14) / 7 / 6
Con 14 / 7 / 6
Dex 10 / 2 / 2
Int 16 / 11 / 10
Wis 12 / 4 / 4
Cha 12 (10) / 4 / 4
Total 35 / 32​

Defenses:
I think your choice of +1 Fortitude and +1 Will defense makes sense, although it puts it with the Warlock in the ‘odd man out’ category (guess the Warlock wouldn't be unusal any more then!). Everyone else gets +2 to one defense or +1 to all three defences, except the Warlock (though the Warlock has an unidentified +1 AC too). Perhaps it should get +1 Reflex too? I’m unsure. I like the way you've got it.

Healing Surges: I think it might be either 6 + Con bonus = 8 or 9+ Con bonus = 11, to keep it in line with the other classes. Since you’ve gone with 12 HP + Con score for calculating HP (the same as the cleric/leader), I’d be inclined to go with 8 HS. Since the Warlord uses the Martial source, he doesn't get the +1 HS that Paladins and Clerics do, as far as I know?

Once per encounter for the Tactical Assault feat seems reasonable – I was wondering about this one too.

The breath weapon that Kwalish Kid transcribed was fuzzy. I think he noted either 1d8 or 2d6 but I think 2d6 for a per encounter is okay myself. What do others think?

Is the +5 poison resist from Draconic Heritage?

Many thanks for this!

Remove ads