• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn - will you ban them?

Dragonborn?

• I intend to ban it.

Votes: 139 17.4%
  • I will allow them as is

Votes: 386 48.4%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 202 25.3%
  • I'm a special snowflake and have another idea

Votes: 70 8.8%

Dire Human

First Post
Amusingly, part-dragons are already a big part of my core-only campaign setting and I've since gotten tired of applying the Half-Dragon Template to everything. They'll most definitely be used when I convert for 4th. Cries of "But they don't fit my setting!" by 4th naysayers on this and other boards just make me chuckle when I read them.

frankthedm

First Post
Fishbone said:
What the hell is this? We get gnomes totally axed off and orcs/half-orcs are in the air but we get friggin' Lizardmen and evil sorcerers?
When did D&D turn into a bloody Conan the Barbarian novel?
While I am not the keenest on the new races, maybe is time the tolkien crowd had a little competition in the races section...

Irda Ranger

First Post
frankthedm said:
While I am not the keenest on the new races, maybe is time the tolkien crowd had a little competition in the races section...
I find this amusing, since the races removed (gnomes and half-orcs) are not in any novels by Tolkien that I am aware of ...

ThirdWizard

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
I find this amusing, since the races removed (gnomes and half-orcs) are not in any novels by Tolkien that I am aware of ...

Saruman's Uruk hai were implied to be orcs bred with man. There were also orc-men or goblin-men or somesuch.

Draxo

First Post
This poll looks a little skewed. Where is the 'I actually LIKE the new race' option?

To me Dragonborn are one of the best things I have heard about 4th Ed.

D&D NEEDED a race that wasn't just human with a funny feature like ears or shortness or whatever. I feel like I've been playing in medieval star trek for way to long. It needed something different. I wanted Kobolds, but.. eh, i'll take them. I like them. I have adored Dragon-men since the old days of Draconians in Krynn.

Oddly, I was very hesitant about 4th ed till i learned of these.. but since I found out about them, i'm actually looking forward to it now. :)

italianranma

First Post
Allow them as is. Not that I know what "as is" is: I've got races and classes. In any case I think they're cool, and it seems like 4E is really separating itself from Middle Earth, and I like that. In any case I can't wait to use burly Dragonborn fighters to intimidate my PCs. But first I'm going to have to remind my PCs that the NPCs in my world aren't all pushovers (I think they forgot as evidence of a pick-up game we had over the holiday: I had to beat on of the PCs to an inch of his life because he pissed off the town guard commander).

Insight

Adventurer
It just so happens the Dragonborn have a perfect place in the new campaign setting I'm developing specifically for 4E, and they had this place before I even knew the Dragonborn would be a base race.

That said, I'm still going to take a look at their racial abilities, etc, and make sure I feel they are appropriate for my game. I'm definitely not using the fluff, but I imagine a lot of people are planning to customize the racial fluff to fit their setting.

Remove ads