• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance 4e in 2010?

Cam Banks

Adventurer
4e halflings are basically just kender. All they need is a racial power to taunt, some of their racial weapons thrown in, and viola, the mechanics are done.

I wrote an unofficial conversion document for our Races of Ansalon sourcebook and the Dragonlance Nexus put it online here.

It's definitely a work in progress—I've had some good feedback from the fans over at the Dragonlance forums already.

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Twelve!

(I kid because, between the ages of 10 and about 15, I loved.)

We do actually appreciate the YA audience over here, you know. :) That sector sells through ten times as many books as the adult one in the same categories within fantasy and sci-fi. If we're appealing to the 10-15 year olds, then bonus.

Cheers,
Cam

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
For sure. I mean, Dragonlance isn't to my taste at all anymore - but when I was that age, I quite literally tried to read and own every Dragonlance book. I did end up with several dozen before I lost interest.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
If your going to do all that, why not make a whole new world instead of destroying the things that make DL unquie among itself?
You missed my point. I'd keep all the things that make DL a unique, compelling, high drama world and drop things that get in the way. Not much gets the way, to be honest. But I think the setting should get a reset and reinvigoration.

Draconian are not dragonborn. They were something unique to DL that the dark queen twisted good dragon eggs to evil....there are no good evquivilants. Nor should there be.
Well, you're certainly entitled to feel that way. However, I feel like that limits the possible stories to be told by the setting and works to DL's detriment.

Its like FR all over again.
Honestly, if DL got something like the 4e FR treatment, I think it would be a better setting. The changes to FR have really energized FR IMO.

carmachu

Adventurer
You missed my point. I'd keep all the things that make DL a unique, compelling, high drama world and drop things that get in the way. Not much gets the way, to be honest. But I think the setting should get a reset and reinvigoration.

Well, you're certainly entitled to feel that way. However, I feel like that limits the possible stories to be told by the setting and works to DL's detriment.

Honestly, if DL got something like the 4e FR treatment, I think it would be a better setting. The changes to FR have really energized FR IMO.

Point one and point two and point three are a contradiction.You cant keep eveything unique and then turn around and destroy much of the setting like FR and re-energize the setting. Doesnt work.

Limits, rather than evenything including the kitchen sink approach 4e seems to espouse wouldnt work.Kender arent halflings. Draconians arent dragonborn. Tieflings do not fit at all. There's no demons that I recall in my memory.

DL's limits are what made the story. And further story. DL had a stroy to tell and told it well. Its like saying...yeah LotR's had a great tale, BUT its limiting lets throw in some Dragonborn or Tielflings. And change those damned dwarves and elves.And throw out the story that it told altogether.

carmachu

Adventurer
So, you're saying that the Noble Draconians entry in the Bestiary of Krynn (pages 16-24) doesn't exist?

4e halflings are basically just kender. All they need is a racial power to taunt, some of their racial weapons thrown in, and viola, the mechanics are done.

Yup. I think thats total abomination. There were no good ones in my day.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Tieflings do not fit at all. There's no demons that I recall in my memory.

I had both tieflings AND demons in Price of Courage, the mega-adventure we published a year or two ago. And they had good reasons to be in there! True story.

Take a look at the combined monster statistics charts in the original DL modules, too. Several of them look like an index to Fiend Folio or Monster Manual II. Dragonlance had shadow dragons and wemics before the Realms had even been published as a campaign setting outside of Ed's Dragon articles.

Cheers,
Cam

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Point one and point two and point three are a contradiction.You cant keep eveything unique and then turn around and destroy much of the setting like FR and re-energize the setting. Doesnt work.
It does, and FR is proof that it does.

In any case, I don't want to do anything to the setting. I want to start over, taking all the good ideas from the past, and a few of the new ones. I don't want to "destroy" anything.

vazanar

First Post
It does, and FR is proof that it does.

In any case, I don't want to do anything to the setting. I want to start over, taking all the good ideas from the past, and a few of the new ones. I don't want to "destroy" anything.

FR is doing well due to bieng the only real supplement out for DD 4e and the Living Campaign. I think far more people are cutting it for parts than really redoing FR, save for the RPGA. Which to WOTC's credit is what they wanted it to be, part of core. I have a feeling a new setting in the same situation would have done as well. (Note: While I dont like many changes my group is using the books for many things, so a + from me)

The question for Dragonlance is does it bring enough new stuff to the table, or does DDI support do enough to cover it? If they want to start over why not just make a new world with the lessons from dragonlance? 4e's new world.

Id prefer Planescape and Spelljammer since they will expand the Paragon and Epic landscape. More parts to pick from.

Remove ads