• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance Creators Reveal Why There Are No Orcs On Krynn

Talking to the Dragonlance Nexus, Dragonlance creators Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman revealed why the world of Krynn features no orcs -- in short, because they didn't want to copy Tolkien, and orcs were very much a 'Middle Earth' thing. Weis told Trampas Whiteman that "Orcs were also viewed as very Middle Earth. We wanted something different." Hickman added that it was draconians which...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to the Dragonlance Nexus, Dragonlance creators Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman revealed why the world of Krynn features no orcs -- in short, because they didn't want to copy Tolkien, and orcs were very much a 'Middle Earth' thing.

Gortack (Orcs).jpg

Weis told Trampas Whiteman that "Orcs were also viewed as very Middle Earth. We wanted something different." Hickman added that it was draconians which made Krynn stand out. Read more at the link below!

Just because it was decided by the author, doesn't make it less objective. This isn't a question of whether or not Tolkien is an evocative author or not nor an opinion that may vary based on differing characteristics, qualifications, or perspectives of the reader. If Tolkien wrote LotR so that Hobbits were less vulnerable to the temptations of the rings, and it's pretty clear he did, then that's objective.
It is objective truth in his story.

If someone reimagines the story as a sci fi story they can come up with other objective truths and keep the story theme beats and even out and out do scene for scene recreations with very little diffrence.

in the other more fun (but way less active*) thread we are talking about Star Wars and Dragon lance as a mash up

edit* people ask why i argue about this on here... I had 20 minutes to kill and posted in the more fun and more heated threads... I got half a dozen replies to one and non to the other... so now I replied with the time I had to play and talk about D&D and now am going to a meeting... anyone want to guess what thread I get more replies in while I am gone?
We argue becuse that is what drives posts on enworld

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
notice the word particularly.

Tolkien could have found a different explanation, he just decided that this is how it is, and why not?
The bolded doesn't matter at all. He didn't, so we have what we have is hard fact. It is a hard fact that Tolkien's hobbits have the trait and the dwarves and elves, despite similar traits are not capable of success. It's a hard fact that his humans don't possess any resistance to the ring's corruption at all.

This is objectively an impossible statement. If you remove hobbits and make humans you have changed the story, and since it's impossible for change to not equal change, you have in fact made it NOT THE SAME.
this is infact wrong. it is OBJECTIVLY wrong. you can substitute without changing theme or story.
You really need to prove your argument that change =/= change before you continue,
no you need to show how something being added or subtracted effects it.
because it seems to me that your argument is fails on its face. If you can prove that change =/= change, then it's worthwhile to continue the discussion. If you can't, then any change, however small, will alter the feel for people.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
were the word romance wasn't used... and a not nice word that I don't want to type here was, the idea of sam being intimate in someone elses body (or with his body and there image) was NOT something my fiance liked and I hope that in 2022 no story will be written like that.

They seem to change on a whim if he's in someone's body or just looks like them to others. Most episodes point to its Sam but he looks different to others, IE a little girls sees her mom as Sam. And one episode where he has no legs but can walk. Al has mentioned the Leapee being inS ams body in the future. This is contradicted sometimes though, like Al seeing Sam as a woman or recognizing a Leapee in the future.

Also, I don't think Sam ever takes it more than making out. He is very religious and a stand up guy, it turns out. I don't tjhink he would do anything untoward if he can avoid it. I'm almost done with season 2.

Ben

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It is objective truth in his story.
Which is literally the ONLY Tolkien story. Nobody else can make a different Tolkien story, because they are not Tolkien.
If someone reimagines the story as a sci fi story they can come up with other objective truths and keep the story theme beats and even out and out do scene for scene recreations with very little diffrence.
Any re-imagining at all, no matter how tiny, alters the feel of the story for people since it is objectively not the same story. And your declaration of "very little difference" is not a fact. It's only your subjective opinion about how you personally view it for yourself. Your opinion this doesn't go beyond you.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
this is infact wrong. it is OBJECTIVLY wrong. you can substitute without changing theme or story.
Wrong. Mary had a little lamb becomes an objectively different story with a simple name change. Peter had a little lamb isn't the same story. What you propose is drastically more than that. Until you can show that change =/= change, your argument fails on its face.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Hey, GMfPG said that this is their argument:
2- If you remove it you must show how both the world and story will/would be different if you did allow it (this is my argument and it comes from the place that if it's important it has a reason, and if it doesn't have a reason it can't be that important)
You're not going to blunt force them into accepting they're wrong without addressing it through this lens.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Again, swap hobbits and 18 foot tall frost giants.

There are several places in Tolkien where hobbits small stature is key to what events transpire. Those events cannot happen if the hobbits are three times taller than orcs.

Moreover, several themes become nonsensical if the hobbits are not small, unassuming folk who are generally unthreatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads