• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance Creators Reveal Why There Are No Orcs On Krynn

Talking to the Dragonlance Nexus, Dragonlance creators Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman revealed why the world of Krynn features no orcs -- in short, because they didn't want to copy Tolkien, and orcs were very much a 'Middle Earth' thing. Weis told Trampas Whiteman that "Orcs were also viewed as very Middle Earth. We wanted something different." Hickman added that it was draconians which...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to the Dragonlance Nexus, Dragonlance creators Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman revealed why the world of Krynn features no orcs -- in short, because they didn't want to copy Tolkien, and orcs were very much a 'Middle Earth' thing.

Gortack (Orcs).jpg

Weis told Trampas Whiteman that "Orcs were also viewed as very Middle Earth. We wanted something different." Hickman added that it was draconians which made Krynn stand out. Read more at the link below!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
this again (and I will rephrase form other thread since this is more appropriate) The Orcs of 1982 that made sense for (form what I know I wasn't here until 1995) but the orcs of 2022 are not 1 note created by the bad guy as a hoard of minnions... they are a living fully (well maybe mostly) fleshed out full of individuals .
Lack of foundation for something to exist in the game world would be just as appropriate in 2082 as it was in 1982. World building is world building. If you just toss stuff into the world without any rhyme or reason, that's anti-world building, since nothing it is not being built, but rather just a segment of something that is tossed in haphazardly.

darjr

I crit!
Eh, there was at least one Orc and they are mythical in Dragonlance as far as I know. So I would rather not but I wouldn’t mind and roll with it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'd buy that explanation better if the Silvanesti, Qualinesti and Kagonesti elves didn't resemble the Sindar, Vanyar and Nandor so much...
Other than there being three, I don't see much resemblance. None of the Krynn elves resembled the Vanyar. I can see the Silvanesti elves as Sindar, but at some point you can't help but have some resemblance to some elf offshoot of Tolkien's. He varied them pretty well.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Not really necessary. Just because Orcs aren't native doesn't mean there aren't any. Spelljamming, magic gates, etc. Make it possible for any race to be in any setting in atleast small numbers.

Why does the world need spelljamming and magic gates? If those are things, then it does certainly open the possibilities for at least non-native lots of stuff.

Von Ether

Legend
You know what race is really tired, boring and old? Humans. I mean come on. Middle of the road, uninteresting and the only reason they stick around is for having some sort of comparative baseline. Ugh!
In one sci-fi setting of mine, the humans ARE the space "orcs." On the scale of where space-faring species developed, Earth is a high gravity world. Compared to all the tall, slender aliens, some of who can glide, humans are squat, heavy and super strong. An international incident can be caused by just not watching where you're going. And always be aware of your surroundings.

"Did you know that humans have to use metal chairs!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads