• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragonlance Pregens

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I eventually intend to run the Dragonlance classic adventures in 5th Edition so I have been thinking about what the classic characters would be in 5E terms. Here are my initial thoughts. Other opinions are appreciated.

Tanis - Half-Elf Fighter (Battlemaster) Outlander (Exile/Outcast)

Caramon - Human Fighter (Champion) Folk Hero

Raistlin - Human Wizard (Evocation) Sage

Sturm - Human Paladin (Oath of Devotion) Noble

Tas - Halfling (Kender) Rogue (Thief) Urchin

Flint - Dwarf Fighter (Champion) Artisan

Riverwind - Human Ranger (Hunter) Outlander (Tribal Nomad)

Goldmoon - Human Cleric (Life) Outlander (Tribal Nomad)

Some of the backgrounds don't quite mesh so it might make sense to customize them a bit. Sturm, in particular, seems to not quite fit any of the existing backgrounds.

Minsc

Explorer
I was wondering if Sturm would be a Fighter (Champion).

I agree, no background really fits him.

I think you really hit the nail on the head with the other ones. Good job!

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I was wondering if Sturm would be a Fighter (Champion).

I agree, no background really fits him.

I think you really hit the nail on the head with the other ones. Good job!

Thanks! :)

Sturm is tricky in the class department, too, since, flavor and background wise he's all about the Oath and the Measure, which screams Paladin, but his depiction in the novels is pretty straightforward Fighter. Despite that, he's always been my vision of what a Paladin should be, so I decided to make him a Paladin, novels be damned. ;)

Minsc

Explorer
The issue is that he Was never actually a knight, while acting as one for most of the books. Also, I guess it comes down to this: is a Knight of Solamnia a Paladin, or is a Paladin actually a holy warrior?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I think you could make him a Fighter (Champion or Battlemaster though he doesn't really have the whole "leader" thing gong for him, it might simulate some of his "knightly" expertise) and Acolyte background, where instead of gods/pantheon he has the Oath and the Measure, the history and tenets of the Knights. Those who values the gods of good or the Knights of Solamnia would qualify for Shelter of the Faithful. Ideals, Bonds & Flaws handle the specifics (well, sketches out parameters) he lives by for the Oath & Measure. Bond probably has to be for his father's sword and armor.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
While I agree that Sturm is a fighter I say go with Paladin if only to create some class variety. Perhaps a custom background could be made, displaced noble or aspiring knight; someone who lives by the ideals of knighthood without being a member of the order. No idea what background feature there should be though.

I was thinking something along the lines of a destiny or fate feature - the character is fated to have a memorable death or something like that.

Remove ads