WotC Dragonlance Saga Cards?

Voadam

Legend
So with the Dragonlance Spotlight Sale giving 40% off most classic Dragonlance PDFs, I am considering checking out the Dragonlance Saga system which I never got into at the time. The same for some of the supplements for it like Heroes of Hope for the descriptions of different types of mystics that seem interesting and evocative, or setting books like Palanthus, Citadel of Light, or Legacy of Raistlin.

The core system Dragonlance Drama system PDF however says it does not come with the deck of cards that was with the physical product and is central mechanically to the game as a rules system.

Does anyone know anywhere the details of the cards can be found online? I don't expect to switch from D&D as the game I run so I am not looking to pick up a physical set but I would generally want to get a good sense of the magic system and how the card mechanics work which seems difficult without at least a description of the specific actual cards.

So with the Dragonlance Spotlight Sale giving 40% off most classic Dragonlance PDFs, I am considering checking out the Dragonlance Saga system which I never got into at the time. The same for some of the supplements for it like Heroes of Hope for the descriptions of different types of mystics that seem interesting and evocative, or setting books like Palanthus, Citadel of Light, or Legacy of Raistlin.

The core system Dragonlance Drama system PDF however says it does not come with the deck of cards that was with the physical product and is central mechanically to the game as a rules system.

Does anyone know anywhere the details of the cards can be found online? I don't expect to switch from D&D as the game I run so I am not looking to pick up a physical set but I would generally want to get a good sense of the magic system and how the card mechanics work which seems difficult without at least a description of the specific actual cards.
I too am interested, as I can’t justify $30 for just the Fate Deck. No idea what happened to my copies of the core box and Heroes of Steel, but I wish I could find them. The system had some issues (especially with no real guidance on mimicking the feel of the novel characters in the original box), but darned if it didn’t do a great job of making you feel like you were a part of one of the novels.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I can't believe that the Fate Deck isn't included in the download! But then I also can't believe that I can't find a list of the cards with a quick Google and yet I can't.

So - it's a deck of 82 cards in 9 suits. 8 of the suits have values from 1-9 while the 9th suit (Dragons) has values from 1-10. Each suit except for Dragons is tied to one of the character's 8 attributes in the game and Dragons is the "Mishap" suit and isn't tied to a particular attribute. The cards also have a White/Red/Black "aura" represented by the coloring of the suit icon - 1-3 are White, 4-6 are Red and 7-9 are Black. The aura on all of the Dragon cards is black even for the good dragons because it's the Mishap suit and when you play cards from the Mishap suit or they come up in random draw from the GM, bad things happen.

Each card also has a pair of attributes on it and a character from the Dragonlance Saga (except Dragons which have only one attribute on it). These are personality attributes tied to the attribute that the suit affects, with "positive" attributes at the low end and "negative" ones at the high end - so for example the Crowns suit (which is tied to Presence and affects Leadership ability) has "Authoritative and Just" with a picture of Gunthar van Wistan on the 1 card and "Domineering and Dictatorial" with a picture of Highlord Verminaard on the 9 card. These are used in random character creation to determine a character's nature and demeanor (and so the positive ones being associated with low valued cards means that players are incentivized to create heroes instead of villains - saving their high valued cards for ability scores). Dragons only have 1 personality attribute on their card and they're all a little more intense than the rest of the cards.

That's basically it - you can mimic the numeric values and suits for the cards with two decks of playing cards and a marker (to denote the separate suits and to take the face cards and turn them into dragon cards). I can't believe there's no list of the portraits and personalities on the cards anywhere online - if I get some time I'll try to write one up later if no one shows up in this thread to point at one that I've missed.

(We loved playing Saga system back in the day, though we mostly played Marvel Superheroes - the idea of using it for fantasy seemed attractive, but my group just wasn't into Dragonlance and so the theming of it was just off. But they really dug the Marvel game, and so does my current group).

Voadam

Legend
I can't believe that the Fate Deck isn't included in the download! But then I also can't believe that I can't find a list of the cards with a quick Google and yet I can't.
Same. I was surprised I could not find images of the cards.

Remove ads