• I hate it.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 6 11.3%

kronovan

Adventurer
The SAGA system seems to have been at its pinnacle when I was on sabatical from TTRPGs with a housefull of young kids. I only know it by its name and TBH whenever I read or hear it, the 1st thing that comes to mind is the terrific graphic novel. :giggle: I'm a gamer who's enjoyed card-driven play mechanics in many board games and I homebrewed a Cortex Prime setting that uses cards, so I'm thinking I might have enjoyed this. That said, I didn't enjoy the card play in Paranoia 5e and all my players bounce hard off them/it...so maybe not.

I remember being SO disappointed that "Star Wars Saga Edition" was not in fact a SAGA game. I think it would have been AMAZING.
Coincidentally, that is the game I immediately thought of when the SAGA system was mentioned in this thread.
I was vaguely aware of the Dragonlance game, too, but only really remembered it when it was mentioned in the OP's text.
I haven't played any SAGA system game, so I cannot comment on their merits or flaws.

My group at the time enjoyed the game, but disliked the direction Dragonlance had taken by then so we didn’t really stick with it and ended up playing 2e Dragonlance again. I want to pick up a set to give it another go but being absolutely sure it’s not missing any cards seems like it might be a challenge.

I didn’t vote though, because my memory of it is pretty fuzzy.

aramis erak

Legend
The SAGA system seems to have been at its pinnacle when I was on sabatical from TTRPGs with a housefull of young kids. I only know it by its name and TBH whenever I read or hear it, the 1st thing that comes to mind is the terrific graphic novel. :giggle: I'm a gamer who's enjoyed card-driven play mechanics in many board games and I homebrewed a Cortex Prime setting that uses cards, so I'm thinking I might have enjoyed this. That said, I didn't enjoy the card play in Paranoia 5e and all my players bounce hard off them/it...so maybe not.
The only thing Wizards hasn't made available via One Bookshelf is the deck... but given that DriveThruCards exists, they've really got few available reasons excusing such... one of which might be art copyright. But even then...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The only thing Wizards hasn't made available via One Bookshelf is the deck... but given that DriveThruCards exists, they've really got few available reasons excusing such... one of which might be art copyright. But even then...
I would love a playable POD version of this, but yeah...without the cards, it's not really functional.

If you've got deep pockets, eBay has a copy of the original game (cards intact, apparently) for sale for $150USD +$11 shipping.

DL5A.png

aramis erak

Legend
I would love a playable POD version of this, but yeah...without the cards, it's not really functional.

If you've got deep pockets, eBay has a copy of the original game (cards intact, apparently) for sale for $150USD +$11 shipping.

View attachment 327063
I think they may be scared it would pull too many players and then see demands for further support.

Its popularity hit only as it was being discontinued. Note that the 25th Aniversary Dragonlance Classics does have stats for both AD&D 2 and for DL5A, but doesn't have the spell list for using the adaptations for pre-departure mages and clerics, but does tell you how to build them. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads