D&D Movie/TV Dragonlancing TV show being worked on by WotC confirmed

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I can't wait for all the Raistlin fans to get mad that their hero comes off as an incel/school shooter type without realizing that's what he was all along.
sally kohn troll GIF by The Opposite of Hate

I'm most interested to see how the series treats Raistlin and Kitiara as they are the most morally problematic of the main characters. There's a wide range in how they could be portrayed and still remain true to the source material. Raistlin's slow descent into evil over the course of several seasons could be a darkly compelling story if done right. As opposed to someone's tyrant genes suddenly turning on after she sacked King's Landing. :rolleyes:

When I watched Lucy Lawless' portrayal of Xena Warrior Princess, the first comparison that jumped to mind was Kitiara Uth Matar. Xena and Kit seem similar except Xena reformed while Kit didn't. But I'd like to see an actor who brings that kind of energy to the role.

I'm most interested to see how the series treats Raistlin and Kitiara as they are the most morally problematic of the main characters. There's a wide range in how they could be portrayed and still remain true to the source material. Raistlin's slow descent into evil over the course of several seasons could be a darkly compelling story if done right. As opposed to someone's tyrant genes suddenly turning on after she sacked King's Landing. :rolleyes:

When I watched Lucy Lawless' portrayal of Xena Warrior Princess, the first comparison that jumped to mind was Kitiara Uth Matar. Xena and Kit seem similar except Xena reformed while Kit didn't. But I'd like to see an actor who brings that kind of energy to the role.

I reread the original trilogy (and the Lost Chronicles, which fill in some of the gaps in it) in the leadup to SotDQ being released last year. It really struck me that you'd need to do a bit of work to make ANY of the characters particularly likeable by modern lights, to be honest. Sturm is again and again a judgmental stiff-necked prig, Raistlin is a snide and selfish gaslighting user and jerk, Gilthanas is pretty awful, Tika and Laurana and Silvara (and even Goldmoon, early on) continually chuck their pride and dignity out the window trailing after men who constantly dismiss them in favour of other priorities, Tanis spends his time 'leading the group' by manipulating everyone rather than genuinely listening to their concerns, and Tasselhoff is the source of ALL the worst kender cliches.

It reminds me a little of later-season Buffy, with the character dynamics. You keep getting TOLD that these people are friends, but you're SHOWN them fighting continually and treating each other unforgiveably in the name of drama and character development. You'd need to balance the fights with scenes of them actually being friends, or you end up wondering why these people are actually hanging around together if they hate each other so much, and feeling like spending time with them is a miserable and emotionally draining experience. You need more stuff like the book scene when Raistlin, Tika, Caramon, etc spend time working as entertainers for a while and actually enjoy each other's company, or when Sturm makes a very uncharacteristic joke to Raistlin about 'the Great Worm Catyrpelius' which is a genuine compliment for something clever Raistlin did a book and a half earlier.

Last edited:

I reread the original trilogy (and the Lost Chronicles, which fill in some of the gaps in it) in the leadup to SotDQ being released last year. It really struck me that you'd need to do a bit of work to make ANY of the characters particularly likeable by modern lights, to be honest. Sturm is again and again a judgmental stiff-necked prig, Raistlin is a snide and selfish gaslighting user and jerk, Gilthanas is pretty awful, Tika and Laurana and Silvara (and even Goldmoon, early on) continually chuck their pride and dignity out the window trailing after men who constantly dismiss them in favour of other priorities, Tanis spends his time 'leading the group' by manipulating everyone rather than genuinely listening to their concerns, and Tasselhoff is the source of ALL the worst kender cliches.

LOL that is too funny. They should get Chris Geere and Aya Cash (who played a great supervillain on The Boys) to star and call it You're the Worst: the Dragonlance Chronicles.

I would be okay with Laurana starting off unlikable. Her transformation from sheltered, spoiled princess to powerful leader was one of the most compelling character arcs in the series.

I would be okay with Laurana starting off unlikable. Her transformation from sheltered, spoiled princess to powerful leader was one of the most compelling character arcs in the series.

That's very true. Which is why it was so annoying that she went back to 'idiot girl suckered by a transparent bluff' and 'damsel in need of rescue' in the third book, and the that in the end she took Tanis back after he'd run off and spent the best part of two books knocking boots with Kitiara.

Remove ads