• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragons & Spells

Magic Rub

First Post
Can one of you fine people please confirm for me if Dragons can cast spells while flying, & where I can find this info.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dragons don't cast spells like a typical PC/NPC caster. That their spells functioned more like spell-like abilities in that they had no need for Somatic or Material components. Also that they could cast while in flight with no difficulties. However I can't remember where I read it. Possibly this is some kind of 2e throwback memory? Please help me

Thanks!

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Magic Rub said:
Can one of you fine people please confirm for me if Dragons can cast spells while flying, & where I can find this info.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dragons don't cast spells like a typical PC/NPC caster. That their spells functioned more like spell-like abilities in that they had no need for Somatic or Material components. Also that they could cast while in flight with no difficulties. However I can't remember where I read it. Possibly this is some kind of 2e throwback memory? Please help me

Thanks!

I don't see anything specific in the SRD, except this under Grappling:

The dragon can always use its breath weapon while grappling, as well as its spells and spell-like or supernatural abilities, provided it succeeds at Concentration checks.

Presumably the same would apply to flight.

Also,

Spells: A dragon knows and casts arcane spells as a sorcerer of the level indicated in its variety description, gaining bonus spells for a high Charisma score. Some dragons can also cast spells from the cleric list or cleric domains as arcane spells.

This depends on how you rule sorcerers (i.e. no components).

Andargor

dcollins

Explorer
Magic Rub said:

For dragons (or anything with a fly speed), flying is just another move action. They can move and cast a 1-action spell in the same round just like anyone else.

Magic Rub said:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that dragons don't cast spells like a typical PC/NPC caster. That their spells functioned more like spell-like abilities in that they had no need for Somatic or Material components...

The rules give no exceptions to dragons needing the same spell components as anyone else.

Magic Rub

First Post
Re: Re: Dragons & Spells

dcollins said:
For dragons (or anything with a fly speed), flying is just another move action. They can move and cast a 1-action spell in the same round just like anyone else.

That's what I ruled in my last session, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

I think that other casting stuff was just a 2e flash back I was having.

Remove ads