• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonshield Tactics ( again, I know)

The Grackle

First Post
Lucas Blackstone said:
That seems off to me because you were choosing to move to a specific place, not a vague random square, as your action.
What if a character runs around a corner into an unexplored room? Does he pick the square he's heading for before knowing the layout of the room?

Zurai

First Post
Lucas Blackstone said:
That seems off to me because you were choosing to move to a specific place, not a vague random square, as your action.
Can you please cite where in the rules it says that you must choose your destination square before you start movement?

Kyrail

First Post
Classic example of worrying more about the RAW than rules that make any kind of sense.

If it's stupid, not fun and disruptive then it doesn't even matter what the RAW says. Assume its a mistake and play in a constructive way, not one that will start arguments that the players will be on the sensible side of, RAW or not.

In this case the RAW doesn't even say that though.

N0Man

First Post
I don't know about RAW, but someone from WOTC did post on these forums a few weeks ago to clarify specifically that the player could continue moving, if they had movement left.

anomalousman

First Post
The dragonshield ability is and immediate reaction not immediate interrupt, so it can't be used to interrupt the charge. The charge action resolves before the shift can happen.

So charging dragonshields is another way you can hit them other than having squares of movement left.

Surgoshan

First Post
Your move action isn't done until a) you start doing something else or b) you've moved your speed or c) the DM gets tired of waiting for you to decide which space to move to and tells you you're done.

Jion

First Post
anomalousman said:
The dragonshield ability is and immediate reaction not immediate interrupt, so it can't be used to interrupt the charge. The charge action resolves before the shift can happen.

So charging dragonshields is another way you can hit them other than having squares of movement left.

If I recall correctly, the "trigger" is "an enemy shifts away or enters an adjacent square." This means the kobold moves before the charge's attack takes place, but the charging attacker may continue the movement forward if they have any movement left. This was confirmed, I believe, by the previously mentioned WoTC staffer post.

Nightchill

Explorer
Jion said:
If I recall correctly, the "trigger" is "an enemy shifts away or enters an adjacent square." This means the kobold moves before the charge's attack takes place, but the charging attacker may continue the movement forward if they have any movement left. This was confirmed, I believe, by the previously mentioned WoTC staffer post.
Yep, this was clarified by wotc just as you say.

I would love to see the clarification on this from the WotC rep if anyone could tell me where it was. This is not a " I don't see it, it didn't happen" post. I believe you all. I just wanted to see it for reference material.

I still don't see why it couldn't interrupt a charge though, since there is movement in a charge action, anomalousman.

Remove ads