Dragonslayers [Aftermath]

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
RedSwan78 said:
Weightlifting/Bodybuilder :) Also, I've always been intrigued by capoeia (sp?) and have wanted to try it out sometime. :D

Have you seen my exersise regime thread the OT forum? :)
The long delay in IC thread was due to waiting for Isida since he hadn't posted since the bar - and I talked about moving the timetable. And then I was hit by more deadlines - and didn't want to post here on 2 hrs of sleep. I am getting too old for allnighters, and I had a dream that pointed this out to me in case I missed it. My dreams are not subtle, and are easy to interrpert.
We should be rolling again now though.

RedSwan78

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Have you seen my exersise regime thread the OT forum? :)

Evilhalfling,

No I haven't, but if you've got a link to point me to it, I'll check it out. :)

Also, I have a question about spells. The Create Food and Water spell says that the food created becomes inedible within 24 hours, but it can be kept fresh for another 24 hours by casting Purify Food and Drink on it.

Purify Food and Drink says that it makes spoiled, rotten, poisonous, or otherwise contaminated food and water pure and suitable for eating and drinking.

Would this mean that Grim could cast Create Food and Water, make the food, and then just hit it with a Purify Food and Drink everyday to keep it edible? (I mean, it would SEEM so, but it's always a good idea to check :) )

RedSwan78

First Post
Grim's Spells

Evilhalfling, I don't know where you want me to put this, so I'll just post it here in the OoC thread.. Also, it's been a while and I'd just like to be a little clear on some rules. A cleric can spontaneously cast "Cure" spells by "burning" a memorized spell (say, giving up a memorized 1st lvl Bless to cast Cure Light Wounds). I've always played that clerics can do this with 0th lvl spells as well (burning a "light" for a Cure Minor Wounds), but I don't think it states that you can or can't do this in the book. Is that cool with you?

Also, can a cleric choose to not prepare *all* of his spells, and then pray for one "on the fly" like a wizard can? (with the proper preperation of course). As in, say leaving one 2nd level spell slot "open", and then later in the day taking 15 minutes to pray and "prepare" that spell? Let me know..

0th level - (5) - Purify Food and Drink, Detect Magic, Mending, Mending, Read Magic

1st level - (4+D) - Shield of Faith, Bless, Divine Favor, Entropic Shield
Domain- Enlarge Person

2nd level - (4+D) - Bear's Endurance, Make Whole, Resist Energy, Spiritual Weapon
Domain - Bull's Strength (imagine that! lol)

3rd level - (3+D) - Water Walk, Water Breathing, Create Food and Water
Domain - Bull's Strength (choosing to take a lower lvl Domain spell instead of Magic Vestment)

Other questions, I don't entirely remember, but since Grim is Chaotic Good, is he *allowed* to cast "evil" spells? For instance, if I wanted to cast a Summon Monster spell, and chose to summon an "evil" creature, would that make it an evil spell, and is Grim allowed to cast it?

With "Resist Energy", it would seem that the spell has no maximum amount of damage absorbed, just the time limit, yes? (meaning that it would absorb 10 points of dmg from the selected amount *every* time I am hit with that type of dmg for the entire duration of the spell, which in this case would be 60 minutes....?)

If I choose to "memorize" a lower lvl spell in a higher lvl spell slot (say, instead of memorizing a 2nd lvl spell, I memorize a 1st lvl spell in it's place), and I want to burn that spell to "Spontaneously Cure", would the Cure be a 2nd lvl spell - Cure Moderate, because it was a 2nd lvl spell slot?

Ok, I think that's everything I'm thinking of. I"ll ask about something else if I remember. :)

Ferrix

Explorer
RedSwan78 said:
Evilhalfling, I don't know where you want me to put this, so I'll just post it here in the OoC thread.. Also, it's been a while and I'd just like to be a little clear on some rules. A cleric can spontaneously cast "Cure" spells by "burning" a memorized spell (say, giving up a memorized 1st lvl Bless to cast Cure Light Wounds). I've always played that clerics can do this with 0th lvl spells as well (burning a "light" for a Cure Minor Wounds), but I don't think it states that you can or can't do this in the book. Is that cool with you?

I don't believe I've read otherwise.

RedSwan78 said:
Also, can a cleric choose to not prepare *all* of his spells, and then pray for one "on the fly" like a wizard can? (with the proper preperation of course). As in, say leaving one 2nd level spell slot "open", and then later in the day taking 15 minutes to pray and "prepare" that spell? Let me know..

Nope, only wizards can do that.

RedSwan78 said:
Other questions, I don't entirely remember, but since Grim is Chaotic Good, is he *allowed* to cast "evil" spells? For instance, if I wanted to cast a Summon Monster spell, and chose to summon an "evil" creature, would that make it an evil spell, and is Grim allowed to cast it?

No, clerics aren't allowed to cast spells with an alignment descriptor opposite theirs. Thus you also cannot cast Lawful spells.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Well Felix is right on two of three
SRD
A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once. However, the character’s mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell.

I read his as the cleric can leave unprepared slots to fill later in the day.
The spell slot level does'nt change if you use it to prepare a lower level spell, so it still converts to the appropriate level cure. (this is a DM call unadressed by offical rule as far as I know)

you have reist energy correct.

I also wanted to make sure that you knew that your magic item, bull str and granted str power all overlap, so that bull str gives you str 24, and granted power rasies it to 26.

RedSwan78

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
I read his as the cleric can leave unprepared slots to fill later in the day.

That's what I was thinking as well..

Evilhalfling said:
I also wanted to make sure that you knew that your magic item, bull str and granted str power all overlap, so that bull str gives you str 24, and granted power rasies it to 26.

Actually, no I didn't know that. I looked them all up, and I guess it just didn't strike me before, but you are correct, they are all "Enhancement" bonuses... poo. lol! Well, at least the "Enlarge Person" bonus is a "size bonus" :D Oh well, just changes things a *little* bit but not too much.

Damn.. There goes my thoughts for charging at the dragon as an Enlarged, Bull's Stregnthed, Feat of Strength'd, Blessed, Divine Favored, "Orc of DOOM!".. lol! :D

Holy crap, wouldn't that be NASTY?!? Let's see, if the strength things stacked, that would be a strength of 34 (+12) [for one round from Stength domain], +2 to attack from charge, +1 to attack from Bless, +2 to attack and dmg from Divine Favor, and enlarge person reach and weapon dmg upgrade to 3d6... That's: +22 to attack, and a dmg of 3d6+20 (Min dmg. 23, max dmg 38)... add in someone else for another flanking +2 to attack.. HOLY CRAP Evilhalfling, c'mon, let the strength things stack! LOL! :D

RedSwan78

First Post
During the sea voyage

Evilhalfling,

I just wanted to point out, that Grim always takes off his Full Plate right before laying down to sleep, and puts on his chain shirt to sleep in, and attaches his sword to the chain shirt to be ready for battle if woken up. Not that it really makes any game difference, but for roleplaying purposes, his armor lays right next to him and he sleeps "cuddling" it.. lol! If woken in the night for watches, he will don the FullPlate.

Also, as for spellcasting, and Grim will tell the captain this, that he has prepared "Make Whole" and "Mending" to make any repairs to the ship that he can if needed during the voyage.

Grim will create the food to feed the crew and keep it fresh with the Purify spell, and will memorize a different spell in it's place when it's not needed to be cast the next day.

A question though, that will determine WHICH spell it is. I have a question about the "Wind Wall" spell. Grim is thinking for if they are attacked by a Dragon while voyaging on the ship, this could come in handy against it's breath weapon, BUT, I need to know, as the player, since the ship is MOVING, could Grim cast it coming out of the deck of the ship and it will move with the ship, or will it just be created there, and then as the ship keeps sailing forward, it will stay in it's original casting coordinate, and therefor, as the ship moves forward, the wind wall will be left behind?

IF the wind wall travels forward with the ship as it's origin point was coming out of the deck of the ship, Grim will memorize this spell.

IF NOT, then Grim takes Searing Light.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
If you cast windwall so that it touches the ship it will travel with it. If you cast it 10 ft in front of the bow, the ship will travel through it, and probably stop (if sails are raised).
hmmm...
If you are wearing your armor while the ship his moving you find yourself falling over a lot (DC 5 balance checks at least once a day) more if the sea is rough. Grim is prolly determined enough to develop a staggering gate, moving from object to object for better balance.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Ferrix are you still with us?

Post Up.

well that was supposed to be more encouraging of RP out the sword fighting if you wanted to.
you all feel a sense of forboding as the end of the week approaches (and I finish midterms late thursday night) Something wicked this was comes. I deny that how hard will be has anything to do with my success or failure in up coming classes ;)
Is this friday/weekend okay for more intensive posting?

Remove ads