• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonslayers [Aftermath]

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Well Im waiting for Ferrix really,
the bad news is he mentioned in our other game that he was going to be gone for the weekend. Playing out this battle with 0 archers will suck. I will go ahead and post the next turn with or without him tomorrow, but then we have to wait until monday. Actually that should be okay for Az as well since he doesn't post as much on the weekends.

Ferrix

Explorer
For some reason I think we're in slightly over our head *prays for a crit*, dragons with SR are generally young adults (CR 8) at the least (white dragon being the least), often higher if their SR is over 20. And that gaze attack is wierd. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Super Girl

First Post
Its a Y. Adult Brass I believe from EH's comments in a thread on Dragon slaying. From whats been happening, I do not think we are doing bad, 152 hp - 71hp is around 81 hp left. let me connect with a sneak attack with my shocking grasp/MW Shortsword and he should be thinking about running, that is, if it is ever close enough to hit with a non-ranged attack.

RedSwan78

First Post
Ferrix said:
For some reason I think we're in slightly over our head

This is why Grim tried to talk his way out of things. ;) Grim figured that it would just fly a bit aways from the ship and never actually get close enough... now that he's seen different though, and his pretty much only ranged fighting capability has failed (magic weapon), he's going to take a different approach. ........ omg, in writing this, I *just* had a Grimhild stroke of brilliancy! No.. no.. must resist the urge. I'll try my original plan first, and if that doesn't work, Grim will resort to drastic measures (this being said "stroke of brilliancy") - climbing the mainmast and attempting to jump ONTO the dragon as it flies by and attack it while "riding" it! LOL! :D Hell, now I almost half hope that my first plan DOES fail and the dragon sticks around long enough for grim to do this! :D

I also just wanted to throw out the reminder that Grim had casted Bless at the beginning of the battle, which should have hit everyone. Everybody has a +1 morale bonus to hit and a +2 saving throw bonus vs. Fear.

Also, to make it easy with all the effects that Grim has going on, especially with the Enlarge Person he's about to cast, I'll post his significant changed stats here: (such is the nature of PbP where the DM rolls everything. Just want to make sure he's using the correct numbers :) )

Str: 24 (+7) [regular 22, +2 Size bonus from Enlarge Person]
Dex: 8 [regular 10, -2 size penalty Enlarge Person]
Con: 15 (+2) [regular 11, +4 Bear's Endurance]
HitPoints: 56 [regular 44, +12 from con increase from Bear's Endurance]
FortSave: +9 vs. Dragons (regular +7 vs. dragons, +2 from Bear's endurance con increase]
(also, +2 save bonus vs. Fear)
AC: 22 vs. Dragons [regular 21 vs. dragons, +3 Shield of Faith, -1 lowered dex, -1AC due to size increase from Enlarge Person]
Grim is now a "Large" Creature and therefore has 10-foot reatch.
Attack: +13 (+4BAB, +1WeaponFocus, +1Magic, +7Strength, +1 Morale-Bless, -1sizepenalty)
Dmg: 3d6+11 +1Acid, Crit: 19-20x2 (3d6 enlarged weapon, +10 strength [str x 1.5], +1 magic, +1 Acid)
(min dmg: 14 +1acid, Max dmg: 29 +1acid)

I think that's it. Oh yeah, EvilHalfling, we can take Grim's Spiritual Weapon off of the map, since it failed SR, it is dispelled per the spell description. (poo. hehe)

Ok, give me a few mins to go post the IC post where Grim takes his action and casts said Enlarge Person spell. (Someone order a half-orc of DOOM? :D lol Don't mind me, I'm having fun laughing at myself/Grim.. hehe :) )

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
climbing the mainmast and attempting to jump ONTO the dragon as it flies by and attack it while "riding" it! LOL!
Id love to see it ;) the problem is your armor check penalty- The DC would be reasonable and we could call it a jump check, and you do have a high strength.... but that -6 will make it iffy.
and now of course will the mast support an armored gaint climbing it? hmmm (conisders the strength of the deck)

As for the dragon - its not exactly straight out of the book, and well over your CR, but some of the party is really well designed for fighting dragons. The fight still looks up for grabs to me.

RedSwan78

First Post
hehe :)

I did mention that Grim is a "recycled" character, yes? I used to play a version of Grim in a real life campaign with friends when I lived in California. Things where different about him (feats, weapon choice, etc) but the basic concept was still the same.

Remember in the background I wrote about the Mimic? I changed it around for the background, but basically the same thing happened. Our party was fighting the mimic and weapons kept getting stuck to it, and somebody was finally down to nothing but their torch, so they used it as a club and swung at it. It actually did more damage because of the fire, and soon everyone was dropping their weapons and lighting torches to attack the mimic. Problem was, everytime you hit it, the torch went out and you had to re-light it. The mimic had grabbed/swallowed someone (whatever it is they do) and was near death. So I had a "stroke of brilliancy" and the DM looks to me and says "your turn". I get this huge smile on my face and say "Grim uses his torch to light himself on fire". Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.. "and the he jumps on the mimic". Everybody busts up in laughter for a good few minutes. It was *great*! hehe :)

So, that just goes to show that Grim really will do stupid things. :D

As for the Dragon, I don't even own a 3.5 MM, and really I don't want to know either. It's more fun, and alot of DM's usually change things around anyways. I know that the few times that I DM'd, I changed things around with monsters a bit, just to make it interesting. :) I mean hey, no two creatures are going to be EXACTLY alike, right? "Oh hey guys, it's that blob with the purple spot and the green tentacle. Last time we fought one of these it died after 5 attacks, and in the third round it'll use gas, so cover your noses" heh.

Besides, I think we're doing pretty good so far, all things considered. I think we've still got a few more tricks up our sleeve too! ;)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Mithran - but your not in full plate, now if the dragon were to land on the boat as well ....
SG - you dont have cover ie no place to hide by Kel'leth, you can either stop at the mast or push the captain out of the doorway.

*brief visons of a boogie man who carries his own closet door around to hide behind- from pratchetts books*

RedSwan78

First Post
Mithran said:
Got another enlarge spell? We could sink the boat between the two now giant-sized fighter types. :D

Sorry man, only memorized one of them :(

As it is, I'm wondering if the deck will hold.. LOL! Remember back in the IC thread when Grim stomped on the deck and asked Makla how much it could hold? LOL! He was thinking ahead ;) Got ways to fix it though if I crash through.. hehe (Make Whole) ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads