Dragonslayers [Aftermath]

RedSwan78

First Post
Evilhalfling, I have a few questions about feats..

Would you allow the "Improved Toughness" feat? It's from Complete Warrior, instead of gaining a flat 3 hp from the regular toughness feat, you gain 1 hp per level with the Improved toughness feat, so being a 6lvl character, this would give Grim 6 extra hp's.. (which he'll need, because it looks like his Con score is going to be a 10. Oh yeah, any chance we could get a 32 point buy instead of a 28 point buy? :D )

About two feats from the Draconomicon - Dragon Hunter, and Dragon Hunter Defense..
Do the bonuses from these two feats stack?

Dragon Hunter says you get a +2 dodge AC bonus, and a +2 competence bonus on saving throws against the spells, attacks, and special abilities of dragons

Dragon Hunter Defense (which has the Dragon Hunter feat as a prereq) says you get evasion against the breath weapons of dragons, AND, you also gain a bonus equal to 1/2 your character lvl on all saving throws you make against the supernatural and spell-like abilities of dragons..

So, being 6th lvl, DragonHunter Defense would give a +3 bonus.. does that stack with the +2 bonus from Dragon Hunter? (or would they apply to different things? I see there is a bit different wording there, but it's been a while.. if they apply to DIFFERENT things, could you give me an example of what those different things would be?)

Religion About the religion thing, I've got an *awesome* idea! :) Like I said, Grim isn't too smart.. (yes, he's as smart as your average acorn!), and from all the D&D religion things that I remember from way back in 2nd edition, Gods got their power from the number of people that believed in and worshipped them... (have no idea if this applies to 3.5, but here's my idea..)

Grim is *so* stupid, that through his childhood and adolescence, he has come to convince himself of a god named "xxxxxxx" (haven't thought of name yet). Growing up around other "fair orcs", there was always an emphasis on strength, war, and fighting. Grim began to worship these concepts in his head, and somehow, he gave them an image in his head of a diety that symbolized these things, and from this sprung forth a name, a symbol, an entire religion to this diety - all in Grim's head. :D Of course, Grimhild would tell others of this diety, and they had never heard of him. Over time, after talking about him so much, and not being too intelligent themselves, others started to believe in him, and began to worship him as well. After a while, Grimhild began to recieve divine powers from this god (Grim is an adult now and is a "cleric", but to Grim, he didn't really decide to be a cleric, he just knows that he worships said god, and gets powers from him, and he must do his diety proud by spreading word of him and doing him justice in battle).

Perhaps even a small faction was started in Grim's home area, and after it had been set up and running for a while (very crude "temple" area with barely any orginization), Grim decided that he must head out into the world and spread the word of "xxxxxx", and engage in battle where ever he could! :D

So, how does that sound? Yeah, Grim's really quite the loon. :D (it's all in good fun really, I'm not playing a disruptive character, it's just a really fun character-type, he's a bit mentally challanged, a bit over-zealous, and a bit impulsive, but he's also very gullible and can be talked into, or out of, fairly easily if it's convincing enough, and as long as not too many big-words are used ;) )

In reality, I'm fine with however you want to do it.. it would be REALLY cool if Grim had just believed in this diety so much that the diety actually sprung forth into existance from Grim's belief and the belief of the others that Grim convinced he was real... or, if it was another god that basically was the same that took Grim's belief and accepted it as worshipping HIM but just kept on allowing him to think he was worshipping "xxxxx". (translation, god "zzzzz" said, you idiot, you're really worshipping ME, but you think you're worshipping "xxxxxx". Fine, you're so stupid that I'll let you keep believing that you are worshipping god "xxxxx", but in reality, anytime you or anyone else believes in him, you're really worshipping ME, god "zzzzzz".). I guess the 2nd option is ok, but I REALLY like the first option. :D lol!

Well, get back to me and I'll work on creating him and type him up later on tonight/tomorrow morning. (let me know about the feats, the god, and, if you'd consider going 32pb instead of 28pb :D hehe)

~RedSwan

P.S. - any idea of what kind of posting schedule you'd like for the game to have? 3 times a week? every day? every other day? Or to be determined later? hehe

Lefferts

First Post
Let me know of any problems,
Lefferts

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Mantrone
[B]Class:[/B] Warlock
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Chaotic Neutral
[B]Deity:[/B] XXXX

[B]Str:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 6        [B]XP:[/B] 15000
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +4         [B]HP:[/B] 38 (6d6+12)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +X     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 1/Cold Iron
[B]Int:[/B] 12 +1 (4p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] XX
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +X
[B]Cha:[/B] 16 +3 (8p.+1lvl)[B]ACP:[/B] -X         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] XX%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +4    +0    +2    +0    +1    +1    18
[B]Touch:[/B] 13              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 16

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +2    +1     +5
[B]Ref:[/B]                       2    +2    +1     +5
[B]Will:[/B]                      5    +0    +1     +6

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Eldritch Blast            +7     3d6        XX-XXxX
MW Morningstar            +5     1d8        20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Draconic

[B]Abilities:[/B] Detect Magic, Deceive Item, Eldritch Blast (3d6)

[B]Feats:[/B] Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Weapon Focus(Ray), 
    Maximize Spell-Like Ability (Eldritch Blast)

[B]Invocations:[/B] Eldritch Chain, Spiderwalk, Entropic Warding, Dark One's Own Luck

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 36       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 9/4.5
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Concentration              7    +2          +9
Knowledge(Arcana)          7    +1          +8
Knowledge(Planes)          6    +1          +7
Spellcraft                 7    +1          +8
Use Magic Device           9    +3          +12

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Studded Leather +1   1175gp   20lb
MW Morningstar       308gp    6lb
Wand of CLW          750gp   --lb
Amulet of Beeaybaracus (+1 deflection bonus, +1 resistance bonus, +1 natural armor)
                     5000gp   --lb
Backpack                2gp    2lb
Wand of Light         375gp   --lb
2 Potions of CSW     1500gp   --lb
Waterskin             1gp       1lb
Belt Pouch            1gp     .5lb
2 days rations        1gp    2lb
[B]Total Weight:[/B]31.5lb      [B]Money:[/B] 187gp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                33    66   100   100   500

[B]Age:[/B] 23
[B]Height:[/B] 5'10"
[B]Weight:[/B] 160lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Purple
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Tanned

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Compared to the Warlock I feel like a pretty piddly ranged fighter.

1d8+3 ranged attack vs. 3d6 ranged touch attack

yeah

Super Girl

First Post
Kylala doesn't come off that bad, +5/+5 (4D6/4D6) for a sneak attack. Is it possible to Sneak Attack with a touch spell like shocking grasp?

Ferrix

Explorer
Super Girl said:
Kylala doesn't come off that bad, +5/+5 (4D6/4D6) for a sneak attack. Is it possible to Sneak Attack with a touch spell like shocking grasp?

Yep, basically anything that has an attack roll can be used to sneak attack. Notable exceptions are multiple attack rolls for a single attack action or spell (scorching ray for example only the first one would be a sneak attack).

I end up with my longbow +10/+5, +12/+7 vs. dragons (1d8+3, 1d8+7 vs. dragons, +2 vs. other favored enemy), or rapid shot +8/+8/+3, +10/+10/+5 vs. dragons (1d8+3, 1d8+7 vs. dragons, +2 vs. other favored enemy), or full round attack against a dragon +16 (1d8+7+2d6).

So it's not that horrible.

Lefferts

First Post
Ferrix said:
Compared to the Warlock I feel like a pretty piddly ranged fighter.

1d8+3 ranged attack vs. 3d6 ranged touch attack

yeah

A couple of downsides to the eldritch blast:

1) only one attack - if it misses, he's done
2) spell resistance - and dragons are going to have it (hmm, maybe I should switch out a feat for greater spell penetration)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Dragon Servants and slaves-
Gold queens have a tendancy to want subjects. They collect small tribes of humans, ferals, stouts, dwarves or hairfeet. The tribe either worships the dragon as a god or counts itself as independant, except for the sacrifices of cattle and tabboos that the dragon creates. Any action taken against the dragon results in terrible reprisals. The tribes normally work to defend the dragon, and any among them who grow strong are kept under the dragons eye and magic, or killed outright for disobediance.
Other colors of dragons have seen the use of servants, and have adopted the queens tatcics. The older dragons are more likely to have large multigenerational tribes. Thier are no civilized tribes on the same isle as the city of Cillune. (just fearls)

@redswan it sounds like the bonuses from the feats overlap. Except that the Dragon Hunters def doesn't count agains any sorcerer spells the dragon may be casting.
Improve toughness is fine, but stick to the 28 pt buy.
As for religon - I don't think it would have worked in your homeland, but it would in the Green Isles. How big the movement is entirely depends on your Charisma. It would mean you have been here a while, what are your levels?

@Leffters where is the maximize feat from? in the srd they have empower SA which has caster lvl 6 as a prerequist, and allows you to empower only 1st level spells (ie eldrich blast with no modifications that increase level.) Quicken requires 10th lvl caster, so logically Maximize would require 8th.

As for posting frequency can everyone do once a day?

I will close selection thursday night.
Iamtest - a full progression caster of either sort is still missing.
with druids and sorcerers being more common among locals.

Lefferts

First Post
Maximize Spell-Like Ability is from Complete Arcane - Prereq caster level 6 or higher, allows maximizing eldritch blast (in this case) 3 times a day.

For my item, I am looking at an amulet that combines a Ring of Protection +1, Cloak of Resistance +1, and a Amulet of Natural Armor +1. Is this Okay? (5,000 gp)

On average, I can post once a day. I may miss a day here or there, but I normally check the boards multiple times a day.

Super Girl

First Post
Evilhalfling , I was wondering if I could replace the Familiar class ability with either another known 1st level spell or a feat since the familiar class ability was made into a feat in Complete Arcane.

Mithran

First Post
Hmm in that case what I have going to do probably won't work but here it is anyway.
Hond Arvild
Hond was born into the (Appropriate name here) tribe and consequently into servitude to an old Golden dragon, Hond's tribe was one of many who were enslaved by this particular dragon. Hond was the son of Alvar the tribes chief and being the son of the chief was taught to be the protector of the tribe (In secret of course). He was taught skill with weapons and armor but most of all the secret's of anger and how it can be harnessed in battle. In the mean time he worked for the dragon like everyone else and even started a romance with a tribal girl named Lami whom he decided he would marry some day.

Alvar was always a bit more outspoken when it came to the dragon than might be wise. So it happened that one day when Hond was about 17, Alvar had spoken back to the dragon and angered it so it grabbed up Alvar and squeezed (Breaking a good many bones) then dropped him in the village as a warning to the other villagers. Hond was working in a mine a mile or so away at the time so it took a good deal of time for Hond to get back. When Hond finally got to the village some friends had moved Hond's father to a hut and he was barely holding on to life. Hond's father gave him one instruction before he passed "Freedom".

Hond pondered this the rest of the night before finally deciding he would leave the village and find his way to others who thought like himself. The next night he kissed Lami goodbye and went to the Shaman to recieve his blessing. The Shaman blessed him and gave him two item's: Aya* and the Talisman of honor. The Shaman also told him of a vision he had of a free city above the ground, so Hond escaped and has now traveled many miles and has finally found his free city where he hopes to find people willing to fight for freedom.

Hond has a fairly cheerful personality and is generally pretty good humored, although when it comes to his duty's he is very serious. He is slow to anger but once someone does anger him he is hard to calm down.

Hond is fairly young (early 20's) tall very muscular and tanned, he has long brown hair and a somewhat thin beard.

Aya is the legendary (In the village anyway) Sword of stars wielded by the chief's since the day's of old, it was made for chief Hilmar long ago (before the dragons took hold) by an elven sword smith. The sword is intelligent in it's own way and is an honored relic of the tribes brighter past. Aya is a very finely crafted sword made of folded steel, the blade is very heavy and has etched into it "Honored star" written in elven. The hilt is very plain, the pommel gem however is a blue saphire.
Aya sword of stars is a +1 intelligent(CG) greatsword, lesser power: bless 3/day Ego: 4 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 10 cost: 4350gp

The Talisman of honor is a golden shield that hangs from a chain, the Talisman is supposed to help honorable warriors on their path. The game stat's are actually just con +2

Last edited:

Remove ads