Drakar och Demoner / Dragonbane - Quick overview

Ulfgeir

Hero
Just got my copy of the game today. I opted for the Swedish version during the kickstarter, and only got the basic box. I assume that the English version contains the same things.

First impression:
Like most other stuff from Free League it is gorgeous. Most of the art by Johan Egerkrans. He has a very distinctive style. It is well layouted, and is easy to read. Will have to read it thoughly later to actually make sense of the rules. The game game in a sturdy box, and the cards seems to be high quality.

It is a thick box, and it contains seemingly everything you need to start:
  • Rulebook
  • A book with a 11 different adventures
  • A solo adventure
  • Gorgeous large map over the setting
  • Floorplans (one side grassy terrain and the other typical dungeon floors)
  • Cardboard cut-out figures + Stands for these
  • 5 premade characters
  • 5 empty character sheets (a bit odd to have the same print on both sides)
  • Dice
  • Initiative cards
  • Cards with treasures
  • Cards with improvised weapons
  • Cards with the blurb/hooks for the adventures.
  • A catalogue of all the games at the moment made by Free League

IMG_20230720_135343.jpg

Had I splurged extra for the Deluxe-set I would have gotten a cloth map and a GM screen as well. The map alone would probbaly have been worth it.
IMG_20230720_163549.jpg

First editon of Drakar och Demoner came out in 1982 and was the first Swedish rpg. Due to some confusion in the beginning on what was reprints with fixes in it contra new editions, it is hard to say exactly which edition this actually is of Drakar och Demoner. Especially as one set of rules which changed the whole system from BRP to D20 roll under was not a stand-alone edition, despite lot of people thinking it was. You needed either the 1984 or 1985 version for it. And I have seen claims that there were 3 different products that each claimed to be the 3rd edition.. Wikipedia has it at 11th version, but they are not counting one or 2 digitial editions. On a Swedish rpg-forum there were attempts at making the history clear, and they got to version 11 or 12 (counting different things than the wikipedia article). So regardless of the confusion on the exact edition, I think it will continue to keep the flag high.

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
The system is skill-based. Stats are roll 4d6, remove the lowest. For skills, roll 1d20 equal to or lower than your skill. You can have advantage/disadvantage => roll 2d10, but reversed compared to D&D 5e due to being roll low. A rol of a 20 is automatic fail, and a roll of 1 is something good happens.

You can play a human, dwarf, elf, halfling, humanoid duck, or humanoid wolf.

Monsters have autohit on their attacks. But they will not do same attack 2 rounds in a row. Each creature has 6 different attacks. Armour subtracts from the damage you take instead of making you harder to hit.

Von Ether

Legend
My only quibble is that the tactical map is not wet/dry erase. So while it is good for an wide open space at least, you'll need terrain pieces to do anything else. Which makes me wonder if it would have been better to save money and not provide a blank map at all? I don't know.

Von Ether

Legend
As a side note for those who care. The map is some thick, with matte coating, it was nice. And the paper used for the blank character sheets is good nice for such a thing. My players are getting good old photocopy paper. :ROFLMAO:

Remove ads