• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drizzt Do'Urden Poll: Love Him Or Hate Him?

Drizzt: Love Him Or Hate Him?

• I love Drizzt. He is the best thing ever.

Votes: 54 47.4%
  • I hate Drizzt. He is the worst thing ever.

Votes: 60 52.6%

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
I voted "Love", because I enjoyed the early books when I was a kid, and he's done a good job of getting folks interested in the Forgotten Realms and D&D in general. But yeah, he's overplayed, and I have no interest in reading any more books involving him at this point.

ccs

41st lv DM
I guess since I definitely don't love the character, his stories, the effect he's had on the game mechanics, or Salvatores writing in general, I'll vote hate....

In my own campaigns the closest anyone's ever come to Drizzt is hearing bards telling tall tales of the "Good Drow ranger of the North". Obvious fictions aimed at separating audiences from a few coin.
Now & then one of R.A.S.'s novels will turn up as trinkets/loot (1st editions of the early tales can fetch a fair price if sold to book collectors)

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The drow are fun. Their ‘evil’ gave them alot of creative space to explore sexual themes in a game that is otherwise too ... vanilla. Their high magic was a breath of fresh air from boring oppressively mundane medieval themes.

That said. I am over Lolth. The religion annoys me and is too cartoonish.

I personally have never witnessed a player creating a Drizzt-like character. So this isnt a valid complaint within my experience.

I guess, the drow bring to the table important themes − sexuality and high magic − that I want to find elsewhere in the worlds of D&D, and I am starting to get frustrated with these themes getting stuck with less appealing drow themes of uber evil and gender dystopian.

Heh, and seriously, the drow are too short. D&D has too many small races.

Absolutely hate him. Look, I've never read any of the books he's in. But the moment I'm playing a D&D related videogame, and he makes a cameo, its always pure fan service, and I can't stand it. "Look! It's that character that less than half of you may recognize!", ugh!

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
Loved him in the first books. Hate him today for the stupid unrealistic dual wield bs which seems t obe the ultimate fighting style in RPGs be it pen and paper or Computer.

There is no serious dual wielding other than rapier dagger and the dagger has the main function to parry the oponents rapier in this case.
Everything else is stupid / showing of with no real combat advantage.

But Drizzt has to turn this cliche up to Eleven. I remember in one of his books there is writing of him touching a Magic sword enchanted so heavily that he could feel it.

And to myself i was saying: "Oh and there he goes with his stupid two oriental Sabres. Would it not be better dpr if he grabbed this super sword with a +6 Bonus instead :)"

Horwath

Legend
Loved him in the first books. Hate him today for the stupid unrealistic dual wield bs which seems t obe the ultimate fighting style in RPGs be it pen and paper or Computer.

There is no serious dual wielding other than rapier dagger and the dagger has the main function to parry the oponents rapier in this case.
Everything else is stupid / showing of with no real combat advantage.

But Drizzt has to turn this cliche up to Eleven. I remember in one of his books there is writing of him touching a Magic sword enchanted so heavily that he could feel it.

And to myself i was saying: "Oh and there he goes with his stupid two oriental Sabres. Would it not be better dpr if he grabbed this super sword with a +6 Bonus instead :)"

Well, there was dual wield other that rapier+dagger.

Like two rapiers,

But DW was not spread as it is very, very hard to learn and coordinate both hands that you could attack and defend with both hands as needed.

Most people used their main hand for attack and off hand most for parry. But if you do that, you are better of with a shield. I tried it, it's damn hard, so I sticked to two-hander :D

Drizzt as an elf had few decades to spend on this training and still be in his prime. A human would learn this style and then he would die :p

Not to mention in DnD elves have superion coordination(main problem with dual wield).

jasper

Rotten DM
Hate him. Hate Morrus for making this poll. Hate his fans. You SHOULD ALL DIE!
On second thought dying is too good for you, all your gaming stuff should be torn into little bitty pieces and you should be buried alive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads