drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour presents: Monte Cook's QUEEN OF LIES

drnuncheon

Explorer
EXT - CAVERN

[THARION topples, but DI'FIER and his MILITIAMEN have no time to rest as a unit of TWISTED ONES slams into their flank - the diminutive, web-armored creatures swarm down the side of the ravine. DRU jams her piston into her belt and draws her sword, laying into them. Above, the TWISTED ONES swarm around THARIUST.]

[CUT to shot of FOWLER, creeping up behind her in the dark, his blunderbuss ready.]

FOWLER(mumbling to himself): Fowler is very quiet, they do not see Fowler, she does not see Fowler, Fowler has to stop her...

[FOWLER raises his blunderbuss, and the hammer falls, sending a spray of metal into the crowd of TWISTED ONES. THARIUST turns.]

FOWLER: Oh, she sees Fowler now.

[FOWLER turns to run, but THARIUST raises a hand from which a spiderweb amulet dangles.]

THARIUST: Valbyl lil jabar siltrin!

[FOWLER freezes in midstride.]

THARIUST(scornfully): Wael. (Fool.)

[Below, DI'FIER has made his way to the front of his men, and is hewing a path. GARTO, with flaming axe, fights his way towards him from one side, and DRU with her sword from the other. The TWISTED ONES climb, grapple, bite, and are slain. Finally DI'FIER, GARTO, and DRU break through the lines and charge up the slope towards the priestess.]

[CUT to THARIUST, watching them. She casually pulls a potion from her belt, opening the vial languidly and drinking the contents. As the others reach her, she begins tot ake to the air.]

GARTO: Ya don't learn, do ya? Valignat arcaniss!

[The flight spell gone, the priestess falls two feet back to the earth, stumbling. DRU takes the opportunity to put a lead ball into her shoulder, and THARIUST snarls.]

THARIUST: Orbb Valsharess,:)o'goth dosst wanre.

[The wound closes, spitting the ball out like a watermelon seed.]

DRU: Damn it! I hate it when the do that!

[DRU drops that pistol and is searching for another when DI'FIER steps forward with three mighty blows. THARIUST tries to block, but it is no use - she drops in a puddle of dark blood.]

[CUT to the rest of the battlefield, where the TWISTED ONES are routed, fleeing up walls, along the ceiling, their only thought to get away. Let behind are the wounded and dead of both sides.]

EXT - CAVERN

[The dead have been laid out in respectful rows - at least, the human and elven dead. The others have been tossed aside. EGIL walks among the living, curing or stabilizing where he can.]

[DRU approaches DI'FIER, who is sitting on one of the rocky outcroppings, looking down at the camp.]

DRU: Fowler found supplies, and the remnants of cooking fires. They've been waiting for us. Two days, maybe three.

DI'FIER: We're going to need to stay here and rest. Egil can only heal so much in a day.

[DRU clenches her fist, scowling, then grudgingly relaxes.]

DRU: You're right. I just hate to lose any more time.

DI'FIER(looking up at her): We'll find your father. And Galanodel. I promise.

DRU: I just wish I knew why he came here. (She shakes her head.) No, I know why he came here. He was looking for me. But why did he think I would be here?

[Sounds of raised voices rise up from below - apparently two of the surviving MERCENARIES are in a quarrel over looting rights.]

DI'FIER: I...we'd better go see what that is.

[DI'FIER picks himself up off the rock and heads downward. DRU waits a moment in silence, studying the darkness, then sighs and follows.]

Lela

First Post
Really? So those are actually real languages? Nice!

I had thought they were just gibberish.

Last edited:

Babel

First Post
Slowly, the lurker inched his way out of the shadows; pale, scrawny, wrapped in black rags. In one bony hand, he clutched a few tattered papers, on which the word 'Freeporte' could dimly be seen. Rising slowly, blinking, unused to the light, the lurker opened his thin, black-lipped mouth, and said simply:

BUMP!

Last edited:

Remove ads