drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour presents: Monte Cook's QUEEN OF LIES

Jon Potter

First Post
I think our heroes have "aged out" of "Black Sails Over Freeport" although it would certainly make for an interesting return to their home port, finding orcs running amok in the streets!

Actually, I guess that's not so far from the typical day in Freeport.

And I have to say, "Thanks Fee Fi." It brought a moment of whistful nestolgia seeing this thread on the first page.

Lela

First Post
I'm glad this is popping up again. C'mon Dr N. Even Monte himself wanted to read this one!

You can only imagine how I feel.

DiFier

First Post
Hi all.

In case you were worried we are still playing freeport and we are going strong. The story hour is extremely out of date. We are both almost at 16th level. I think that Dr. N is gonna get black sails but mostly just to mine out ideas. since our current Dr. N created plot is surprisingly similar to the premise of black sails.

drnuncheon

Explorer
INT - CAVERN

[The camera rests on DRU, DI'FIER, the COMMANDERS of the various units, and the three rescued HALFLINGS, then takes a bat's-eye (?) view, travelling through the twisting caves, beginning slowly but picking up speed.]

MALE HALFLING: My name is Alton Proudfoot. This is Meri, and Tevin.

DRU: How long have you been down here?

ALTON: Meri and I have been slavs of the Pure Ones for...I'm not certain. Years, I think.

DI'FIER: What about Tevin?

ALTON: Nobody knows.

[DRU shifts to ask TEVIN directly, but stops.]

[Cut to CLOSE-UP on the inside of TEVIN's mouth, where we see that the tongue has been roughly severed, or perhaps torn out.]

[DRU's fist clenches as she turns back - just one more thing to pay these elves back for.]

DI'FIER: You said Pure Ones. What do you mean?

[The camera begins to take a bat's-eye course through the caverns. It weaves its way slowly back to the scene of the battle, where the spiderlike creatures lie sprawled in puddles of ichor.]

ALTON (voiceover): The creatures you slew were Twisted Ones, ones whose bloodlines are not pure.

[The camera begins to move through the narrow, twisting tunnels, picking up speed.]

ALTON (voiceover): They were our overseers, but they are little more than slaves themselves, bred and conditioned to follow orders.

[Stone walls flash by faster and faster in a dizzying blur: a bridged river...a vast cave whose top is lost in darkness...a fleeting glimpse of a vast cavern, its floor covered by glowing fungi, and a hulking, misshapen form moving in front of three tremendous pillars of stone...and then in through a tiny window.]

INT - UL-DRAKKAN

ALTON (voiceover): It is the Pure Ones who rule them.

[Two room is hung about with a silver-grey, gauzelike fabric. The bed is soft and decadent, circular, with sheets of spider-silk. Two cave-white elven figures lie entwined beneath them, the man stroking the woman lazily as heavy smoke drifts around them. Their features are incredibly similar - if they were the same gender they would be identical twins. They are THARION, the man, and THARIUST, the woman. A quiet knock sounds at the door, and THARION rises, unconcerned with his nudity, to open it. At the door is a TWISTED ONE, mostly elven in appearance, but with plates of chitin on the side of his face and head. When it speaks, it is in a harsh dialect, something between Elven and Dwarven, but not quite either.]

TWISTED ONE (subtitled): My Lady...My Lord. Alevolenz commands your presence.

THARION (subtitled): We will attend.

[The camera follows the TWISTED ONE through the corridors of UL-DRAKKAN, the fortress of the dark elves. It passes a cage where an elf is chained, beaten and bleeding. The elf huddles in a corner, his face obscured. The TWISTED ONE descends a staircase, then another. In one chamber, a shadowy, pantherlike creature lies dozing. The TWISTED ONE walks directly through it as if it were not there, and the only hint of a response is the twitch of a tail - or is it a tail? The slave descends another stair, passing through a room where golden spiders hover in midair. They veer towards the TWISTED ONE a moment, then float away.]

[Finally, the TWISTED ONE arrives at his destination, and pushes open the doors.]

INT - UL-DRAKKAN, FANE OF THE SPIDER QUEEN

[The room is dominated by a black basalt statue of an elven woman, her arms open in invitation, her eyes glittering. Behind her, a mosaic on the wall depicts an enormous spider in reds and blacks that almost seem to glow.]

[Standing before this altar are a priestess in a coppery gown, ALEVOLENZ, and another Pure One, dressed in cloak and wide brimmed hat - MINILIR. Both break off as the TWISTED ONE enters.]

TWISTED ONE (subtitled): My Lady. Thariust and Tharion will report as ordered.

ALEVOLENZ (subtitled): Depart.

[The TWISTED ONE does so, but the camera does not.]

MINILIR (subtitled): Do you think they will stop these invaders?

ALEVOLENZ (subtitled): Of course not. Especially if the texts are correct. But they will be able to provide us with information.

MINILIR (subtitled): Are you certain you will be able to capture her?

ALEVOLENZ (subtitled): Without her, our plans will come to nothing. She will come for her father, Minilir. (she smiles when she says his name, as if something privately amused her) And if she should fall...there are ways to ensure that she is still able to play her part.

Lela

First Post
DRU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I may need to give a personal thanks to Wulf for breaking your writer's block.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Lela said:
DRU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I may need to give a personal thanks to Wulf for breaking your writer's block.

PCat, actually, since his Story Hour was the last thing I read before I posted.

Five months.

Time sure piles up, doesn't it?

I mean, here I am, halfway through Book 3 in playing, and I haven't even touched it in writing. Well, that's not entirely true. I do have the prologue written. The sheer amount of work I'm going to have to do to catch up...terrifying. Luckily Dru is going to run a nice long (I hope!) Midnight game in between books 3 and 4.

Anyway, the Doc is back, and so are the adventures of Dru and Di'Fier.

J

Jon Potter

First Post
Is it Christmas? My birthday? What's going on?

First JonRog posts a Dark Matter update, then Small Beginnings comes out of retirement, now DrN's back!

Nobody pinch me. This isn't a dream I want to wake up from!

Welcome back, drnuncheon.

Remove ads