drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour presents: Monte Cook's QUEEN OF LIES

DiFier

First Post
I haven't included all of Di'fier's Journal entries there were a few that are boring running the barrony and meeting people stuff that I don't know to well and will have to check with Dr. N about. usuanlly for people's names. another problem is that I don't have a program with spell check so this is not spell checked and I am a terrible speller and a worse typer. (plus my grammar isn't great either) :D so here it is a recap but throught Di'Fier's eyes.

-Being a Baron isn't all it's cracked up to be. More responsipility and work and the rewards are . . . well maybe that comes later. If only I had inherited a Barony that was finically viable. My uncle seems to have run this place into the ground in his search for immortality.

-Uncle Jardec choose this Barony for a reason. I have found his journals and it seems that a ley line runs directally through the barony. He was competing with Kenzil in freeport on mastering ley lines. He made a pack with a demon to get ahead of Kenzil. He never saw the error of his ways, dealing with Demons. I doubt that he ever saw a problem with his choices. . . untill the Demon got him. His pact eventually gave him the Barony and helped teach him to master the ley lines. The power they offer is incrediable. I almost don't feel right using the information that he was fed by the Demon and I have not spent my full resources discovering what he has, I have time. Plus I will not condem the people of this Barony to the neglect that his search for immortality has thrust upon them. I thank the gods daily for the help of Corman is duties as my seneschal have been indespensible.

-As per one of my duties as a Baron I have begun training a group of men to be my army. I have hired a Local man named Jakob Kirk to lead this force. He is still a formitable fighter and a decent leader of the men thought he lost his hand fighting for the empire years ago. When I asked him to take on the responsibility years seemed to fall from him. He is a decendant of the founder of this village. Apearentlly Uncle Jardec paid some sort of fee to bypass this responsibility I'm not sure how he could afford it. He spent all his money on his experments. No one was safe. His servents, His Wife, His children. I have finally killed the ghouls that were my cousins. They occasionally haunt my dreams. The Ghost of my aunt has left the manor once I burried their bodies. The treasure that she promised was gone found by my uncle years ago and sold off to finance his experments. I only wish that there was a better way to lay them to rest then killing them but there seems to have been no other way.

-There is a sorcerer living in the village. She had been away when I arrived. Her name is Kenna. I rushed to her small store when Jakob mentioned her in passing while we were having lunch at the inn. She is not the Kenna I knew from my youth in Freeport. But just the mention of her name has reminded me of my old friends. I will have to look them up now that I more established here on the main land.

-The men at arms have withstood their first test. I guess that the news that the old baron had died and that a new baron was taking over was a call for ever highway man in the area to try to reassert control over the roads under my protection. It took longer than I would have liked but the roads are safe again. Helping Jakob train them was an enjoyable change from what can be the drugery of running this barony. But I am begining to at least enjoy myself. I think that I am going to have to get a loan. I have already spent almost every cent I have keeping this place runnnig smoothly. Perhaps I will take a month or so and go on an adventure. I of course can't tell Dru, She wouldn't want me to become an adventurer. It seems that she will never find where her father's trail. there have been a few leads but they seem to go nowhere. She is very discouraged.

-Dru visited today. She brought an inventation to Brother Egil's investiture as a Loremaster of the Temple of Knowledge. It will be nice to see Brother Egil again. I will have Janos pack immediatlly.

-Someone has attacked the Temple of Knowlege. It appears that they are trying to frame Tensin or to bait Dru or both. I believe that whomever attacked came from Silathenial. they destroyed all the temple's books that mentioned Silathenial. but if it had been bait there should be an easy way to follow the trail and that has not presented itself. Dru Believes that the Dragon's claw is behind the attack and for once I have to agree with her. Although the evidence is only circumstantial. We have finally located Garto. He seems to be intrigued by the posibility of traveling to Silathenial of course he was a little anxious at first but he is an adventurer at heart. And I don't mean that as an insult as Dru did. Dru Doesn't even question my egarness to travel with her I think that she is just so used to having me at her side. But I too am intrigued to go to Silathenial. I'm not sure that returning Tensin Nailo to Freeport would be a good thing. I have gained a grudging respect for the man and I worry that his absence will throw the Freeport underworld into chaos once the rainy season winds down. I have no reward in this except the adventuring and doing what is right. Right and wrong were so much easier to define before I met Drusilia Nailo. Of course I think that had my definition of right and wrong stayed where it was I wouldn't have lasted on the freeport city watch. I could have gone with my friends and become an adventurer but I think that I will be a better adventurerr know that there is no black and white but just a graident of grey.

-We have met the most interisting gnome I'm not sure he is totally in his right mind. His job is to collect sh** for his cousin Kolter at Kolter Clockworks. Which he makes into the propellent for the projectile weapons that the Dragon's Claw attempted to smuggle into freeport. The gnome, whose name is Fowler, seems to enjoy he job immencially. He was easy to find we just followed our noses. We were pointed to him by the god of knowledge. He is a confusing little fellow but he gave us the information we needed. We have found a tunnel below the city that may lead to Silathenial. Cleaning the stinky gnome was a lot more difficult than I would have imagined. I have to sleep in Dru's room, my room was uninhabitable and will probablly stay that way for some time. Tommorow I will magically clean the room so that it can be used again.

-I'm not shure what Dark elves are but we are going to be fighting them. We have decieded to take an army with us. I am goign to return to Threehills to collect my Militia. I have picked up the armor and tunics bearing my coat of arms, that I ordered a month ago. I will present each man with their uniform for their first mission outside the Barrony. I'm not sure this is the proper use of my men but We need them and I will do my best to make sure that they all return. besides they need experience fighting as a military unit and not just officers of the peace.

-We made quite a scene as our army traveled through the city to the entrance sewers. We are takeing almost 70 people. There are 4 units. My Militia of 15 men, Dru's 15 serpent people. A unit of 15 human mercinaries and an unit of 15 elven archers. We were able to get a few small barrels of black powder from Kolter to take with us plus Dru purchased a second large pistol. I'm not shure what I think of the weapons. Dru seems to like them. I agree with her father that they lack a certain subitly they are powerful but . . . .

-Blackness and stone. We travel untill we are tired then eat and reast in shifts. I do not know how many days we have been underground with out the sun. I'm having trouble diferenting the days from one another perhaps I should have marked in my journal how many time I have slept but even then I'm not sure that I sleep once a day. The men are getting antsy and I can understand I whish I had learned a spell to see in darkness. we are having trouble seeing the torches only illuminate so much but they can be seen for miles.

-After days of traveling in the darkness we have run into our first opposition. They aren't elves but some sort of spider creatures. There were two type one almost resembled a humoniod the other was like a spider with human legs. The halflings we rescued said that there are elves that command these half spider monsters. We have days to go untill we are close to the edges of their territory they are called the Vrhama. There is a watch tower at the edge of their territory that we must get past before we even come to the fortress beyond. The Halflings say that they saw Tensin and Galinodial Months ago and that they were being taken to this fortress. Onward into the darkness.

Last edited:

Zarthon

Explorer
It's great to read this story again, I had almost given up hope :)

Dr. N, if it comes to it what rules are you useing for mass combat?

drnuncheon

Explorer
At the time, I used a modified version of Mongoose's OMCs - but this was before Cry Havoc! and AEG's Empire, both of which are quite good and which will form the basis for any future mass combat in the game.

(Will there be future mass combat? Well, the Grand Duke has sent negotiators to secure the cooperation of Freeport's privateers in action against the Caliphates...so what do you think? :D)

More updatage, er, soon.

Also, tomorrow Dru and I celebrate our third wedding anniversary.

J

Dru Nailo

First Post
DiFier said:
Right and wrong were so much easier to define before I met Drusilia Nailo.

Ahh. I love it. :)

Good update, Di'Fier!

If DrN doesn't hurry up, maybe I'll have to post Dru's journal too, such as it is.

Not only are DrN and I celebrating our 3rd anniversary today, but we are also celebrating the news that he has gotten (and accepted) a job offer. Oh happy day, and now for more reason than one!

DiFier

First Post
Dru Nailo said:

Good update, Di'Fier!

If DrN doesn't hurry up, maybe I'll have to post Dru's journal too, such as it is.

Not only are DrN and I celebrating our 3rd anniversary today, but we are also celebrating the news that he has gotten (and accepted) a job offer. Oh happy day, and now for more reason than one!

congradulations on both counts

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Dru Nailo said:

Well, then! Happy anniversary and many more to the both of you! And congradulations on the new job -- I know how hard it is to find new work; I rejoice in your good fortune!

Remove ads