• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drops to 0 hit points triggers

DracoSuave

First Post
Where did you get 1 in 8 from?

From the number of outcomes on an eight-sided die (in this case.)

Let's say you deal 1d8+4 damage. He has 10 hit points. Only rolling a 6 on an eight sided die will drop him down to 0 hit points. That's 1/8.

And if you don't drop him? You put the enemy into a situation where either it's impossible to get exactly zero... or... you're back to the 1/8 question.

So it always comes down to that number. 1 in 8.

wlmartin

Explorer
From the number of outcomes on an eight-sided die (in this case.)

Let's say you deal 1d8+4 damage. He has 10 hit points. Only rolling a 6 on an eight sided die will drop him down to 0 hit points. That's 1/8.

And if you don't drop him? You put the enemy into a situation where either it's impossible to get exactly zero... or... you're back to the 1/8 question.

So it always comes down to that number. 1 in 8.

Now that you have explained it, it makes a bit more sense...

I was missing your point completely and kept focusing on the HP variable and the die variable as BOTH being variants when in fact the die variable is a constant - it is the amount of die's within the HP that is the variable.

Thus trying to divide 100 by a D10 will not always take the same amount of attempts to complete but on the final attempt (something you couldn't predict in attempts until it has happened) it will always come down to 1 in 10

I am sorry, I was confusing the randomness of the attempts to reduce the enemy towards the killing blow as a factor but since it is fairly irrelevant to the point of "what is the chance a monster, facing a D10 dmg die will drop to 0" - it of course has to be 1 in 10.

I was just focusing on the wrong variable, the HP Total when it is completely irrelevant.

Thank you and sorry for wasting your time.

DracoSuave

First Post
Now that you have explained it, it makes a bit more sense...

I was missing your point completely and kept focusing on the HP variable and the die variable as BOTH being variants when in fact the die variable is a constant - it is the amount of die's within the HP that is the variable.

Thus trying to divide 100 by a D10 will not always take the same amount of attempts to complete but on the final attempt (something you couldn't predict in attempts until it has happened) it will always come down to 1 in 10

I am sorry, I was confusing the randomness of the attempts to reduce the enemy towards the killing blow as a factor but since it is fairly irrelevant to the point of "what is the chance a monster, facing a D10 dmg die will drop to 0" - it of course has to be 1 in 10.

I was just focusing on the wrong variable, the HP Total when it is completely irrelevant.

Thank you and sorry for wasting your time.

Well... to be fair, I did under think it as well. There are situations where you might get them down below a threshold where NO roll will make them go to 0 exactly, so my math is actually wrong.

Statistical analysis is actually more appropriate on those grounds. Durp on me. Durp on me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads