• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid: Staff or Totem

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I made a beast-form focused druid and went with the Staff of the Serpent. An extra 1d6 poison damage on all my attacks is way too sweet to pass up.

DS

Valesin

First Post
Thanks for all the advice gang. Earthfall totem is obviously the way to go given my build; now I just have to be patient until 7th level.

Mengu

First Post
Thanks for all the advice gang. Earthfall totem is obviously the way to go given my build; now I just have to be patient until 7th level.

Earthfall totem I think falls quite a bit short of the staff of ruin. At +2, the totem does extra 1d6 on a subset of your powers, a staff of ruin will do extra 2 damage on all your powers. At +3, the totem is still doing only 1d6, but the staff is doing +3. At +4 is when the Earthfall totem might become better depending on you power selections by that time.

And since it seems like you are looking for extra damage after all, weapon focus staff will help you along that path.

Valesin

First Post
Earthfall totem I think falls quite a bit short of the staff of ruin. At +2, the totem does extra 1d6 on a subset of your powers, a staff of ruin will do extra 2 damage on all your powers. At +3, the totem is still doing only 1d6, but the staff is doing +3. At +4 is when the Earthfall totem might become better depending on you power selections by that time.

And since it seems like you are looking for extra damage after all, weapon focus staff will help you along that path.

[sigh] Yeah, you're right. I loved the idea of my Wind Prison doing d6 damage to a lot of stuff with no attack roll, but by the time I am 7th level my enemies will sneer at at a d6 damage. Meanwhile I would have lost "x" opportunities to do +1 and eventually +2 with all attacks.

Sometimes the best choices are the less sexy ones...

Destil

Explorer
Resisting the urge to give every PC Bracers of Archery/Iron Armbands of Power/Staff of Ruin builds character. If you really want the item bonus rather than something interesting just take the staff you originally wanted and a Dragonshard Augment of the Mage.

Valesin

First Post
This has probably been discussed a million times, but do we know for a fact (i.e., official ruling somewhere) that Weapon Focus works on an implement that is also a weapon when it is being used as an implement and NOT a weapon?

DracoSuave

First Post

1d6 is an average of 3.5 damage.

3.5 > 3.

DracoSuave

First Post
This has probably been discussed a million times, but do we know for a fact (i.e., official ruling somewhere) that Weapon Focus works on an implement that is also a weapon when it is being used as an implement and NOT a weapon?

Yes, it's been that way since the Swordmage came out. Weapon Focus doesn't mention weapon attacks anywhere. It only mentions a type of weapon you pick for it.

It's in the faq and has been forever.

Mengu

First Post
1d6 is an average of 3.5 damage.

3.5 > 3.

Yeah, the point was, it only applies to attacks that push, slide or knock prone, while the staff of ruin applies to every attack. Missing out on .5 (or 1.5) damage on those attacks to get 3 damage on all other attacks seems like a better deal, unless you can somehow make sure all your attacks do push, slide, or pull, but that seems like too much of a restriction on power selection, since immobilizing, dazing, penalizing, CA granting powers are as nice to have too.

Remove ads