• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid weapons

Thyrkill

Explorer
Not sure if this goes here or in rules, but here goes anyway.

Are Druids similar to Clerics, in that they can take the weapon of their god as a proficiency, or are they more stictly limited to their list (and yes, I am trying to figure out why scimitar is part of that list)?

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Matt

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Druids are restricted to their weapon list unless they multiclass or take a Martial Weapon Prof.

And the Druid weapon I have the most problem with is the Crossbow, seeing as how it has moving mechanical parts, while the short bow is one of the most basic weapons known to man and was used as a hunting weapon for thousands of years by primative man IRL.

Yes, I read the reasoning behind it on the Wizards site, but IMC I still switch out short bow and crossbow on a Druid's weapon list.

Nyaricus

First Post
Thyrkill said:
Not sure if this goes here or in rules, but here goes anyway.

Are Druids similar to Clerics, in that they can take the weapon of their god as a proficiency, or are they more stictly limited to their list (and yes, I am trying to figure out why scimitar is part of that list)?

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Matt
Neither Clerics nor druids are automatically proficient with their gods weapon unless that weapon falls into their list of proficientcies. So, a cleric of Kord doens't automatically get proficentcy with a greatsword, even though that's that gods favourite weapon. A druid is proficient in the scimitar (and the rest) in part due to balance, and in part due to history (that is, D&D history). They've been using them since 1e.

In any case, may I suggest you take a look at my Weapon Group Proficiency System that I've developed. It works largely in the same fashion as the Unearthed Arcana system, except mine was inspired by Diablo II - and largely, the two systems are similar. For druids, for example, they can now be proficient in things like nets, bolas, greatclubs and bows fairly easily, while the scimitar is now banned to them.

cheers,
--N

Last edited:

Perun

Mushroom
Mr. Wilson said:
And the Druid weapon I have the most problem with is the Crossbow, seeing as how it has moving mechanical parts, while the short bow is one of the most basic weapons known to man and was used as a hunting weapon for thousands of years by primative man IRL.

Is this something new? From the SRD:
Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear.

Regards.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Honestly, I could have just misremembered, as it's been houseruled in our group for ages that Druids have shortbow prof. I don't have my PHB on me right this second, but I could have sworn they had Crossbow prof, as this was one of the reasons we had in that houserule. I'll go check it out (both in 3.0 and 3.5) when I get home in the morning.

Thanks for correcting me, as I'm assumming I'm wrong in this case.

hopeless

Adventurer
Reg: Druids

I have never understood this and when I ran a 3.5 game I told the person running the druid that he could use any bow although I didn't consider the crossbow.
That particular player came into possession of an enchanted dire flail which I allowed him to gain the exotic weapon proficiency to use after he employed it until he reached the next feat gain level and must admit to be looking into updating weapon proficiencies as well as item creation for d&d.
Personally I would think being able to wildshape would prevent use of such weapons in their animal form, but given they're supposed to only use wooden or natural weapons so why was the short and long bow excluded?
Anyone actually know?

And as for clerics I ran a cleric of helm who selected Martial weapon prof at 1st level so he could wield his faith's favoured weapon in both hands and then became skilled enough to obtain the exotic weapon prof at 3rd only to subsequently learn he only needed the exotic feat to wield the bastard sword which makes no sense as I have always seen feats need to be explained not obtained for no reason.
I have that problem with item creation feats, I don't believe they should cost xp but thats for another thread (sorry to go off topic there).

Last edited:

solkan_uk

First Post
Druidic weapons tend to make very little sense to me, I remove restrictions and give them a proficiency list based on their specific order for most games.

I mean why would a Dwarven Earth Druid not be able to use armour forged from the fruits of the Earth.

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Weapons

Druids and clerics are just proficient with the weapons listed...not banned from using something not listed. A druid can pick up a greatsword or a crossbow and use it. You all are thinking of the metal armor restriction. Druids and metal armor don't mix. I myself use the Weapon Group Proficiency from UA as well which you can find a copy of it here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm). I treat the traditional AD&D groups as the "Forest Druid Weapon Group". All "druid" groups are classified in by symbolism. The scimitar, the sickle and other weapons I was always told was included as a symbol of the moon. Druid weapons were symbolic. Okay...I'll buy that...what about a "Deep/Underdark" druid. They wouldn't use weapons symbolic of celestial objects. Heck I don't think they would use holly and mistletoe either. Maybe some kind of mushroom instead. Anyhow with that said I came up with my own variations using the 2E Druids Handbook as a reference.

On the topic of weapon groups....they rock. My players love them.

lukelightning

First Post
solkan_uk said:
I mean why would a Dwarven Earth Druid not be able to use armour forged from the fruits of the Earth.

Because druids are about nature in a raw, not refined state? And more importantly because it is a balance issue; druids get great class features, now you want to give them plate armor too? Not in my game!

Nyaricus

First Post
Aries_Omega said:
On the topic of weapon groups....they rock. My players love them.

Check out the following then:
Nyaricus said:
In any case, may I suggest you take a look at my Weapon Group Proficiency System that I've developed. It works largely in the same fashion as the Unearthed Arcana system, except mine was inspired by Diablo II - and largely, the two systems are similar. For druids, for example, they can now be proficient in things like nets, bolas, greatclubs and bows fairly easily, while the scimitar is now banned to them.

Remove ads