• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Druids and druid crafting options?

Satyrn

First Post
But for visuals, im just trying to find a plausible seeing eye dog like thing for her to use lol

Speaking of seeing eye dogs. There's always Animal Friendship and Speak With Animals to sweet talk any critter into helping you out. And if you use the Elemental Evil player guide for spells, there's one in there called Beast Bond that lets you communicate telepathically with the creature for a few minutes.

Or, if you can get find familiar (by taking the Magic Initiate feat, for example) you can permanently get a fey critter.

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
Speaking of seeing eye dogs. There's always Animal Friendship and Speak With Animals to sweet talk any critter into helping you out. And if you use the Elemental Evil player guide for spells, there's one in there called Beast Bond that lets you communicate telepathically with the creature for a few minutes.

Or, if you can get find familiar (by taking the Magic Initiate feat, for example) you can permanently get a fey critter.

Animal friendship is a 24 hr 1st level spell, meaning i'd have to use one of my spell slots daily just to have an animal friend. And speak with animals only lasts 10 minutes, also a 1st level spell slot.

To be perfectly honest, as a new player who's using the roll20 website for info cuz i dont have books, i have no clue how feats work.

Satyrn

First Post
Just got another idea, too. If your DM doesn't let druidcraft work as you describe, maybe hewill approve a cantrip that you create, called Land's Sense say, that focuses the scents and sounds in the area as you describe in your original post. And being a cantrip all its own you could justify increasing the range to 30 feet instead of just 5.

(And for added flavour, it's range is reduced to 5' in an urban or underground environment)

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
Just got another idea, too. If your DM doesn't let druidcraft work as you describe, maybe hewill approve a cantrip that you create, called Land's Sense say, that focuses the scents and sounds in the area as you describe in your original post. And being a cantrip all its own you could justify increasing the range to 30 feet instead of just 5.

(And for added flavour, it's range is reduced to 5' in an urban or underground environment)

I LOVE that idea! Seriously, best yet. Cuz my orcy has the hermit backround, so she's not all that social. Animals would be off putting as a constant companion. Something she makes wouldn't be too bad as she created it, but Land's Sense would fit so perfectly from how it sounds.

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
The question I have now in regarding the Land's Sense cantrip idea is how to make it not OP. Like, i came up with a general idea but i'm still uncertain. How does this look to yall?

Land's Sense

Allows user to increase hearing and smelling ability to sense objects and general movement asscoiated with smell and sound, in their enviroment, and navigate unhindered. Stealth actions from other's (friend or foe), and surprise actions still require perception check if required.

Range: 30ft, decreases to 5ft in urban or underground settings

Duration: instantaneous

Casting time: 1 action

Components: V, S

Suggestions, comments, concerns?

Ed Laprade

First Post
Thanks for the XP lol i'll never turn it down.

Not sure what you mean by "hinky", but i dont think so? Mainly, her blindness is essentially cataracts, but coming from an orc tribe with no advancement beyond the standards of tribal life, she doesn't know that. So it progressed to full blindness.

She left the tribe, orc politics, and got raised by a druid who found her. Taught her to use nature to get around. So mainly she uses her hearing and sense of smell to do that. Often taking the form of a wolf cuz wolves have better hearing and noses.

I imagine it would be reasonable to have advantage with hearing and smells on her home turf (forests like areas), while disadvantages in like a city. Or other turrains. And like auto hit spells would still need an attack role (such as Entangle for example).

But for visuals, im just trying to find a plausible seeing eye dog like thing for her to use lol

Or SOMETHING that doesn't make me do a dex saving throw every 5 minutes cuz im walking. Not too hinky i hope?
When she turns into a wolf, she should be able to see. I don't know about needing an attack roll to use an area spell? Some kind of roll to center it where you want it, but I don't think it would be an attack.

Satyrn

First Post
The question I have now in regarding the Land's Sense cantrip idea is how to make it not OP. Like, i came up with a general idea but i'm still uncertain. How does this look to yall?

Land's Sense

Allows user to increase hearing and smelling ability to sense objects and general movement asscoiated with smell and sound, in their enviroment, and navigate unhindered. Stealth actions from other's (friend or foe), and surprise actions still require perception check if required.

The instantaneous Duration makes this so it's a very momentary glimpse of your surroundings. Like opening your eyes for a second and then shutting them for the other 5 seconds of the round as you try walking around.

I was thinking of making the duration 1 round, so that you could cast it on round 1, "see" what you're doing on round 2 and then be blind again until you cast the spell againnon round 3, etc.

There's no sort of overpowered in this, since you're starting off handicapped by the voluntary blindness and it's only getting you to see some of the time at the cost of an action.

The verbal component is amusing because it means you'll be mumbling to yourself a lot.

Ed Laprade

First Post

Land's Sense

I'd make the Duration a round at least, maybe even a minute.

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
The instantaneous Duration makes this so it's a very momentary glimpse of your surroundings. Like opening your eyes for a second and then shutting them for the other 5 seconds of the round as you try walking around.

I was thinking of making the duration 1 round, so that you could cast it on round 1, "see" what you're doing on round 2 and then be blind again until you cast the spell againnon round 3, etc.

There's no sort of overpowered in this, since you're starting off handicapped by the voluntary blindness and it's only getting you to see some of the time at the cost of an action.

The somatic component is amusing because it means you'll be mumbling to yourself a lot.

So essentially, one round to cast, one round to see, one round blind again? That would work in combat yeah. Makes a lot more sense when you break it down into round time (the six seconds). And out of combat, i could do it every few feet like sonar if i'm not guided by a party member.

After being secluded for so long, what hermit doesn't mutter to themselves? XD yay hermit background!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
If it lasts only one round, the spell should take a reaction to cast (so that you can gain one actions benefit before everybody moves 30'!).

Remove ads