Drunk

Janx

Hero
Good point, you really do need to learn a beer.

The older I get, the worse hangovers are and the easier they are to get. I wonder if it's more maturation or pain that causes people to (generally) drink less as they age. :p

According to some people, mixing drinks is more likely to induce a hangover than sticking to one beverage type. Others claim it's more prone to happen with certain drinks (chemicals like sulfates come in higher quantities in some types).

One alleged hangover cure/reducer is Pedialyte a childrens medicine that replaces missing electrolytes and mumbo-jumbo (like gatorade).

Personally, I don't drink.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I drink, usually moderately. There's typically beer in the house and I'll have one a night with or after dinner. One of my great pipe dreams would be to get 2 bottles of every beer in the world to sample. Why 2 bottles? Because you want to get more than just a first impression and I figure a second bottle a couple days later fits that bill.

That's quite some task! In Germany we have more than 1,200 breweries producing some 5,000 different beers. And while the density of breweries is probably quite high compared to other countries... well, you get the meaning.

Better start as soon as possible! ;)

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I believe I have been legally drunk, but never so inebriated that I don't remember what follow, or even so inebriated that I couldn't walk straight or passed out. I have never seen the appeal of drinking so much one becomes completely wasted. How fun can something be if you end up sick, hungover, or can't remember what fun you had?

Usually what happens if I have too much to drink is I start getting sleepy, so I go to bed (or recline on the couch). I am a boring drunk.

I do like a drink now and then, though. I just limit myself to one or two max. I usually get a headache before I'm finished with the second one, and I certainly don't need the extra calories.

Nellisir

Hero
That's quite some task! In Germany we have more than 1,200 breweries producing some 5,000 different beers. And while the density of breweries is probably quite high compared to other countries... well, you get the meaning.

Let's double this up with a study on hangover cures.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
According to some people, mixing drinks is more likely to induce a hangover than sticking to one beverage type. Others claim it's more prone to happen with certain drinks (chemicals like sulfates come in higher quantities in some types).

One alleged hangover cure/reducer is Pedialyte a childrens medicine that replaces missing electrolytes and mumbo-jumbo (like gatorade).

Personally, I don't drink.

I've never noticed a difference with mixing different types of booze. I do know, though, that wine is the worst kind of hangover (for me) and that sugary stuff - which I luckily don't like - is also more apt to give me trouble the next day.

As for a cure, I've found that nothing beats simply sleeping it off - with occasional water drinking breaks, of course. If you can't do that then a large Gatorade and a couple of Excedrine migraine do the trick well enough to get you able to eat which will pretty much fix it. Since it's just water, electrolytes and caffeine (from the Excedrine, actually), really, there's probably a lot of ways to get there.

The ol' school hangover cure was beer with tomato juice in it. It's actually more tasty than you'd think.

Task? That's not a task, man! It's Heaven!

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Drink water when you drink and hangovers can be avoided or reduced. Hangovers are caused by dehydration.

I find that beer give the worse hangovers, than wine or hard liquor. Probably because I eliminate more water when I drink beer.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Drink water when you drink and hangovers can be avoided or reduced. Hangovers are caused by dehydration.

I find that beer give the worse hangovers, than wine or hard liquor. Probably because I eliminate more water when I drink beer.

Yes, that can help. Wine is still the worst for me, though. I think it's partially cuz wine is pretty much mostly terrible.

Our conception of "Heaven" seems to differ, then. I can tell you I've sampled beer which illustrates just the opposite. As tastes differ, I'll refrain from mentioning any brand, but let's say I drank it when staying at CERN.

Of course there'd be bad ones, man. There'd be good ones, too. It's a lot of fun to try new beers.

Our conception of "Heaven" seems to differ, then. I can tell you I've sampled beer which illustrates just the opposite. As tastes differ, I'll refrain from mentioning any brand, but let's say I drank it when staying at CERN.
There's this funny idea that American beers are terrible (some are) and European beers are great (some are), but the truth is every country makes terrible beers. They also make good beers. Then there is the fact that different beers have different taste profiles. You may have tried one, or a few, you didn't like, but with the wide range of flavors that you can get with beers, there is one that you might like.

So what kind of stuff do you like? No beer-wise, just in general.

Remove ads