Dry Erase on my Battlemat!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I have a Battlemat with a dry-erase stairway from an adventure we played 20 years ago. I tried everthing. Some solvents started removing the grid but left those stairs. I no longer remember what I last used, but it started dissolving the mat.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
MEG Hal said:
Ya know this makes me look bad when I am constantly wiping of my keyboard and monitor from spitting soda all over :D :p ...
and I do not have any advice, sorry.

Like you need help looking bad...

trentonjoe

Explorer
thalmin said:
I have a Battlemat with a dry-erase stairway from an adventure we played 20 years ago. I tried everthing. Some solvents started removing the grid but left those stairs. I no longer remember what I last used, but it started dissolving the mat.

Tell me about it. I have two or three permanent caves, rooms, doors, and the like on mine. I found steel wool (Brillo) gets some of it off.

Good luck!

Breakstone

First Post
I once got permanent ink on my mat... Alcohol took some of it off.

And then the mat dissapeared. Just vanished. I have no idea where it could be.

I blame the ink.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Those stupid dry erase markers ruined a battle mat of mine about 10 years ago. You shouldn't allow them within a million feet* of a gaming session.

*exaggeration.

rijeagle

First Post
Like some of the other posters above, I've had many battle maps that had dry erase, wet erase and permanant marker on them, and all refused to come off once they dried. I seriously doubt you'll be able to get the marker off without damaging the mat itself. Coca Cola was spilt on one of our mats, and it took off the marker when it was wiped off, but the marker had only been on the mat for an hour or so, it couldn't hurt to try I guess.

Could I make a suggestion?

Our group got tired of buying new battlemaps everytime they got ruined by marker(s), so we invested in a couple of 4'x4' clear 1/4 inch plexiglass sheets. On one side, we drew lines in permanant blank ink, and then use the other side to draw on with dry erase markers. We've been using them now for about two years, and even if the dry erase has been on there for a couple weeks, the dry erase cleaner solvent always cleans it up with no problem.

The only drawback is that each sheet was about $30 apiece, but for us it was worth it.

Harlock

First Post
Okay, I'll try these. Hal, sorry about the Keyboard. Blame Reiella, I am! :) I'll go with some elbow grease and nail polish remover first because my wife has some on hand. I'll also avoid the grid lines. Who cares if they are grey or black, I'd just like the mat to be useable again. Thanks, all. I appreciate all the feedback.

Remove ads