Dry Erase on my Battlemat!

reiella

Explorer
Muwahahah.

The true comedy is that I stopped him a few days prior from doing the exact thing :p.

And it's all because Meowth didn't game with us.

AeroDm

First Post
Quick hijack hopefully for the benefit of all-

What exactly can one use on the Chessex mat with confidence that it will come off? We've had one for two years now and no marker has ever touched it because too many conflicting reports have come in.

Harlock

First Post
We use Vis-a-Vis wet-erase markers with great regularity and the black comes off with ease simply using a wet cloth.

But whatever you do, don't let Reiella near it with a dry erase marker.

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
I've once got dry marker on my battlemat and it went away easily with some denaturated alcohol (the pink one). YMMV - I'm pretty sure it will remove the stain, but whether it damages the mat or not depends on the quality of the mat itself. Trying with a q-tip won't do harm, I guess.

Adlon

Mortality.net
Harlock: Nail polish remover has acetone, or most do. Acetone can possibly dissolve your mat.

I had this issue, and heres what I did...

Overlay the offensive lines, a segment at a time, with the SAME dry erase marker, and color. Immediately douse with alcohol, like with a cotton ball, and make it quite moist. Rub vigorously with the tip of your finger, or fingernail, if need be.

You may have to wash, rinse, and repeat. You should get the offensive lines to a barely noticeable level. I got mine to where you can only see the lines in a certain light.

Harlock said:
We use Vis-a-Vis wet-erase markers with great regularity and the black comes off with ease simply using a wet cloth.
Vis-a-Vis here, too. Just avoid leaving red on the mat overnight. It takes elbow grease (and water) to get it off.

Mystery Man

First Post
Using any one of these suggestions (great stuff btw) I wonder if you paid yourself an hourly wage to get rid of the offensive lines if it wouldn't be worth it just to go get another mat? ;)

NTZ

First Post
I think my group uses a product called Goof Off when this happens (which is more often than I care to admit). :D

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Now, I don't know if this will help... Many years ago, my Megamat got stained by a red wet-erase marker. The map drawn on the mat stayed too long and the ink seemed to stain the fabric of the mat.

Not having the money to invest in a new mat, I kept on playing with the one I already owned. The stains were clearly visible, but the color was washed out. New marks were much brighter.

Now about two or three years ago, I was running a game with a group of friends. The adventuring band had become seperated and I was running the section for one part of the band. My wife, here PC being a member of the second group, was doing some cleanup on here Character sheet with a white Staedler eraser, the type used for pencile drawing. It is still a mystery to me how the eraser went from the sheet to the mat, but it was a surprise to us both when we noticed that it was able to remove the stains cleanly without damaging the grid lines.

I now have a Megamat clear of stains, thanks to an eraser and some elbow grease.

Hope this helps,

Remove ads