• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dryden: Hero or Horror

What are the Dryden? Fertility spirits of the dark forest primeval? Being born of a Pandora's womb of science? Base and lustful demons from beyond the known stars?

You decide!

The Dryden is an 'adults only' product for gamers who like their games without limits. Offering dozens of ways to use the Dryden in your game, this book contains rules for the never-before seen Dryden racial class. Usable as both a player class and a monster template, the Dryden offer a frightening window into the life of a creature who's drive to mate colors its very existence.

Fantasy gamers can play as the decedents of woodland fertility spirits that were given flesh. Modern gamers can play as either Dryden running from the government lab they were born in, or as agents sent to discover and shutdown a Dryden 'family' before they breed out-of-control. Future gamers can fight against the dark tide of extinction as their people are mated to their new Dryden masters, and destroyed from within by their spawn. You can even mix and match, and do things like using the Future Dryden in a Fantasy campaign. Deal with the horror in a demonic invasion of a most personal and frightening kind.

And if you weren't offended yet, just wait: It has tentacles too.

Once again, this product is for adults only, and can be guaranteed to offend, frighten, or disgust some readers. If for any reason you feel you cannot handle the dark topics of this book, then it is recommended that you do not purchase it. If you purchase this book and are offended, then you were warned.

In no case should this book be purchased for or given to a minor.

Crypt King

First Post
Well being a fan of both Horror and Lovecraftian goodness I couldn’t pass up the chance to check out the Dryden Hero or Horror d20/OGL supplement. Since I already incorporate both aspects of the genre into my current Dungeons and Dragons campaign, I approached the product on how I could incorporate it into my world. The product introduces us to a new race, the Dryden. The Dryden are a race of shape shifting tentacled horrors that can change between their parent race, to a tentacled mass and a hybrid form. This race can be used as an enemy, a player character race, or even both.

Disclaimer: I do not like or play d20 modern or d20 future. However to give an honest review I approached the product without that in mind.

The Basics:
Dryden, Hero or Horror
A d20 supplement for OGL Fantasy, OGL Modern, or OGL Future.
57 Pages
PDF Format
Ancient Awakenings Publications

Credits
John Bowden - Writer/Designer
Rebecca Bowden - Editor
Fil Kearney - Cover Art
Brad McDevitt - Border and Logo Art
Brian Laframboise - Interior Art
Rick Hershey - Interior Art

The product is broken down into 7 sections.

1. Forward: Who are the Dryden and how to and how not to use them.
2. Dryden Racial Class: The race broken down as a add on class (not an actual race in itself)
3. Dryden Mating: Mating habits
4. OGL Fantasy: How to use them in D&D and similar games
5. OGL Modern: d20 Modern and Spycraft type games
6. OGL Future: d20 Future
7. OGL License: The license

Review by Section
Forward: The forward is basic, with discussion on the race concept, their open ended ness and the goals of the product. Pretty standard for most products. What was actually interesting is the How NOT to use the book section. It explains that the book is for Mature Audiences and that the race itself can be found offensive even if the Guy/Girl in charge of the game doesn’t think so. This I can agree upon, some may find the thought of a race that uses other races to breed and incubate their young as offensive. Then again those that would find this offensive probably wouldn’t like the movie Alien either. This honestly is what attracted me to the product, the racial concept.

Dryden Racial Class: The supplement approaches the race concept as a racial class. The character has to take a feat “Born Dryden,” before they can take levels in the class. Unlike other products with a racial class, this class is presented much like a Prestige Class that gives a Racial Talent at each level. The additions for other d20 products, Defense and Reputation are also there. It’s an interesting take on the concept, since by nature the race is a hybrid of other races, yet it dodges the whole “throw on a template,” style of racial creation. However I found the feat that has to be spent for the ability to take the class underwhelming. A modest bonus or ability would have been nice. To sacrifice a feat in a game where they are hard to come by, just to take a class and the feat being underwhelming doesn’t bode well. I would add some type of bonus, such as a bonus to Disguise skill or perhaps Fortitude saves.

The Dryden race is composed of various talents that can be added to the race that can be gained over 10 levels of the race. With the variety of talents, it helps the race to be a more customizable race with a lot of variation. This is probably the best selling point of the race. Each of the talents incorporates an aspect of the control the character has over his body, from the malleability of the characters form, ability of it’s tendrils to its shape changing ability. Some talents stack with multiple additions of the talents, while others are stand alone aspects. Does the race have a potential for abuse, Oh Hell Yes. However a good gamemaster will be able to take care of that issues.

Dryden Mating: This is the section that gets the Mature Rating going. This section describes the rules for the mating act, a variant of the Coup De Grace maneuver and the effects of the mating procedure. Additional information on is given for the incubation and birthing act depending on the genre and game being used. While an exceptional idea, I think it should have been approached with more towards different styles of the birth process, not based on individual game systems but game styles instead. For example they break it down into normal pregnancy for fantasy (a normal healthy pregnancy), accelerated for modern (a more painful and harsher but non lethal pregnancy) and almost instant for future (think Aliens). A better approach would be to present it on how the gamemaster wants the race to be presented. With that in mind it’s easier to look past it to determine how the race is used, slow spawn of a elder creature or chest bursting alien parasite ready to crunch men at arms. Visions of impregnated offerings hanging in a corridor as a party of adventurers walks by with these little buggers popping out ready to kill appeals to me.

OGL – Fantasy, Modern and Future. Each section is divided into example backgrounds/history of the race and it’s interaction with the world. The fantasy background has the race as a peaceful race of plant/animals that mate with the other sentient beings in a more cohabitation situation. Included is a professional template that can be added to an impregnated character, the Wife of Bereverak which gives a sorcerer character access to the healing domain and air domain spells. For modern the race takes on an animalistic hunter, very much in tune with a Cthulhu based creature or something similar to Species. This version fits well in the whole secret conspiracy, pod people planning to take over the world style of games. The future version is the super dark, alien destructive force that takes pleasure in what it does. Now granted each version is presented as the standard for a certain genre, I feel that each one could easily be incorporated into any genre.

Art: The art in the product ranges from average to pretty decent or even really good. Is it outstanding, no? Does any of it outright suck? No. However the art does invoke the feelings of the book and my personal favorite is the Dryden reprising a scene from La Blue girl on a hapless would be hero. There is some dreaded nipple so those that find it offensive, best bet to skip the pages with them. I will say that the art is better then a lot of products out there, and unlike other “mature offerings,” out there like the Book of Erotic Fantasy, this product actually uses relevant art and catches the feeling of the product.

Overall: The product approaches the concept with a lot more maturity then some other products out there. The concept that mature book doesn’t have to have dildo wands, incestuous demons with graphic depiction of viscera seems to be rare in this market. I like the concept of the race, which fills a void I didn’t know I have. While I enjoy the concept and background of the race, the class concept used for the race abilities I feel works for the d20 Modern or d20 Future more then say d20 Fantasy. It’s a perfect Lovecraftian horror or genetic experiment gone wrong, or a race of dimensional rejects trying to find a place on another world. On a scale of 10 I would give it a hard 8 with a 9 for the race concept itself. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty darn good, especially in a land of a lot of glut in d20 stuff out there, a glut I tend to distance myself from. I look foreword to more products from Ancient Awakenings Publications, a company I pretty much ignored until now.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Reviewer's Bias: I received a review copy of this product.

Update, 12/29/04: Ancient Awakenings Publications has updated this product, and I have appended my comments on the updates below —– twice, in fact, as I don't seem to be able to edit my comments.

Dryden: Hero or Horror is a 57-page PDF product from Ancient Awakenings Publications that presents a new race, the titular Drydens, for use in any d20 campaign, whether it's fantasy, modern, or future. First things first, the book itself is intended for mature audiences -- some of the art contains nudity and adult situations (actually, all the border art contains nudity) and some of the topics dealt with inside can be disturbing (the Dryden use other races to incubate their young, which means that the PDF considers their reproduction habits). John Bowden, the author of the book, acknowledges and explains this in a sidebar with his Foreword, and, on the whole, I think his warning overstates the case a little bit, although the book's certainly not for kids. That said, better to be safe than sorry, I suppose, and Bowden's certainly on the money when he reminds DMs that "just because you don't find something 'offensive' does not mean your players will think the same way. Think of others before using some aspects of this book." A good caveat, and one that holds for my review. I didn't find the material offensive but do suggest that consumers think carefully about their campaign and group before buying this book. The preview (1.91 MB PDF) posted online comes highly recommended for this reason.

Moving along, the cover art, by Fil Kearney, depicts a female Dryden grinning maliciously at the viewer, her arms, legs, and hair devolving into vines. Kearney clearly has talent, although the cover art did little for me. The interior art, by Brad McDevitt, Brian Laframbroise, and Rick Hershey varies in quality, but is generally strong. I much preferred it to the cover art and particularly liked pieces on page 21 (a trio of fantasy Dryden portraits), 30 (a female Dryden in bed with a rather surprised man), and 47 (a Dryden hunting a man on a spaceship -- reminded me of Alien, actually). The layout is clean, with each page framed by vines, which are attached to a female Dryden. This is one of the better pieces in the book, but it's on every page, so its impact is lessened quite a bit -- a judicious use of it, perhaps only on the first page of each chapter, with vines for borders on the rest of the pages, would have felt better to me. Simply put, it's too much art for every single page. Occasional rules sidebars are in bright green boxes or blocks using bright green ruled-lines -- a bit bright, especially given the very lowkey green used in the borders and headers, but serviceable. Other than that, I would have preferred full justification in the columns of text, but appreciate the consistency of all other stylistic choices and the PDF's freedom from intrusive errors (although "Foreword" is misspelled "Forward" in the Table of Contents and a later reference to "this version of the Dryad" instead of "this version of the Dryden" are somewhat unfortunate).

As for content, the first section covers the Dryden as a race, modeled through the use of the Born Dryden feat (character has Dryden blood and may take advantage of the hybrid form) and the Dryden class (allows development of Dryden abilities and access to the tangle form). The class itself has moderate saves and poor BAB, coupled with a limited amount of skills and low number of skill points. Characters taking it make a huge sacrifice in these areas in order to gain new some potent racial abilities. Drydens gain new abilities through the selection of talents, which belong to various talent trees: Reformation, Malleable, Tendrils, and Shapechange. I really liked the first two, which allow the reformation of lost limbs and the adjustment of the body to move through tiny spaces. The other two didn't grab me as much. Shapechange was kind of puzzling to me (why would a Dryden be able to shapechange like a Druid?), and I was a little bit leery of the mechanics of some of the Tendrils talents. For instance, Area Attack allows the Dryden to attack everything within a ten by ten foot square (this includes the square the Dryden is in), but, rather than having the Dryden make attack rolls, the victims make Reflex saves based on the Dryden's BAB (which is still used to determine how many victims need to make saves). This seemed odd to me, as the Kyton's Dancing Chains ability is similar and uses the Kyton's BAB for attacks -- there's a precedent set for one mechanic, but the ability uses a different one, which I found kind of odd. Bonus Damage also seemed a bit off as it's essentially bonus damage on all attacks, but one that might work far better in play than it seems to on the page (the requirements are fairly steep: three different talents, meaning that it's not available until 4th level and caps at +4d6 damage at 10th, assuming that the Dryden takes it every other level from 4th on).

The class itself is followed by information on mating, the Dryden's Mating attack, gestation and pregnancy, and then three sample settings. All this worked well for me, although the recommendation that a normal (9 month) term be used for fantasy games, an accelerated (1 month) term for modern, and an instantaneous term be used for future games struck me as a bit odd -- granted, these are the times that match genre conventions most closely, at least as far as I'm familiar with them, but I would think that the real choice here is not how long you want the pregnancy to be, so much as how scary/dangerous you want the Dryden to be. To me, the longer gestation period makes the Dryden seem more benign (something which is made explicit in the fantasy sample setting, where the Dryden are benevolent plant/animal tribesmen), with the Dryden becoming more horrific and evil as the term shortens (the instantaneous option has the baby ripping its way out of the mother and devouring her, with a rather vivid illustration to boot). For a GM using this, I'd suggest keeping this in mind as you design your campaign, rather than the recommendations here.

The three sample settings, one for fantasy, modern, and future games, are interesting and have enough depth to be useful. A short piece of fiction precedes each setting, establishing some of the conflicts and tones to be taken up in that section. The fiction is competent and serves its purpose fairly well. Each setting presents the Dryden in a different way. In the case of the fantasy setting, the Dryden are peaceful villagers allied with tribes of elves; in the modern setting, the results of government experimentation escaped and living in secrecy; and in the future setting, sadistic sexual predators aiming for galactic domination. I liked the first two sections very much. The fantasy section, with its Dryconians (evil half-dragon/humanoid drydens) and bestial Drydens (animal/Dryden crosses) was neat and could be part of a very nice campaign arc centering on themes of tolerance and environmentalism, where the party has to deal with the peaceful Drydens and the violent Dryconians of the dragon Bereverak and confront their preconceptions of the race. The modern setting, however, including the Dryden safe house, was my favorite part of the book and has a nice thematic subtlety. I found both of these to be extremely portable to most campaigns, as they allow for the muting of the sexual themes as necessary. The future setting, which is, by far, the most explicit in its detailing of Dryden biology and gestation, was the least interesting to me, as it eliminates a lot of the grey areas that made the fantasy and modern sections so appealing to me. The twin Dryden presented, Mischief and Malice, were nice NPCs with an interesting background, but, again, are essentially evil and probably only good for one or two scares in a campaign before the party attacks them on sight.

In the end, I could see myself using Dryden: Hero or Horror's sample fantasy and modern drop-in settings in most of my campaigns -- it adds something horrific and twisted to the background that can be easily modified based on my group's tastes. I'm less enamored of the future setting presented here, as it oversimplifies the case, eliminating the potential for moral grey areas, at least as it is presented here -- these Dryden are just bad folks, which is far less interesting to me than the other cases. Mechanically, the ideas are mostly sound and the book gives a fantastic amount of context to these mechanics, creating a nice, three-dimensional race ready for use in any campaign looking for a touch of horror and tentacles.

Score: 4.5 - My mechanical concerns and lukewarm feeling on the future section have knocked the score down from a full five.

Old Fezziwig

Reviewer's Bias: I received a review copy of the updated version of this product.

In response to some comments on the first edition of Dryden: Hero or Horror, Ancient Awakenings has updated the product. In this thread, the updates are listed as follows, and I will address them in this order:

"First, the Original Dryden book has been corrected of a few of the more irritating typos.
Second, the OGL logos on the front have been changed from vector graphics to bitmapped. This was done to prevent viewing slowdowns on some slower computers and PDAs.
Third, I updated the bookmarks in the screen version to allow slightly easier viewing of the PDF.
Fourth, a clean-art version of the book was layed out in standard book format. While not as pretty as the original, it should allow printouts without fear of the more exotic art pieces offending someone.
Fifth, a clean version of the Dryden Racial Class has been added as a booklet PDF. This is to allow the GM to offer all of the basic rules without the additional material from the book (does not include the fantasy, modern, or future examples nor the mating information.)"

The correction of typos and errors is laudable, although I still note that, at least in the Table of Contents, "Foreword" is misspelled "Forward" (the error has been corrected in the text proper). Nitpicky, yes, but it jumped out at me before, and I noticed it right away this time as well.

I didn't have any problems personally with the bookmarking in the previous version or with the graphics (as far as load times), so the second and third updates did little to improve my experience with the product.

The inclusion of a clean print version works well for me, as the borders in the print version would take up a lot of ink. For this change, I'm grateful, although I will note that, as I looked at the clean print version, I did think that it looked, well, rather naked.

Finally, the Dryden racial class PDF booklet could be very useful to a group with a PC Dryden for the reasons listed above. Like the inclusion of a print version, this idea takes advantage of the electronic format nicely, allowing the consumer to use the product in the way he desires —– I could easily see someone using this booklet, rather than the clean print version, as a table reference and using the screen version as a reference during game prep.

All in all, a nice update. For me, the book still merits a strong 4.5, as my concerns from before stand. That said, I love the fact that John Bowden and Ancient Awakenings have taken the time to revise their product with the needs of their customers in mind. It's one of the great advantages PDFs have over print.

Old Fezziwig

Reviewer's Bias: I received a review copy of the updated version of this product.

In response to some comments on the first edition of Dryden: Hero or Horror, Ancient Awakenings has updated the product. In this thread, the updates are listed as follows, and I will address them in this order:

"First, the Original Dryden book has been corrected of a few of the more irritating typos.
Second, the OGL logos on the front have been changed from vector graphics to bitmapped. This was done to prevent viewing slowdowns on some slower computers and PDAs.
Third, I updated the bookmarks in the screen version to allow slightly easier viewing of the PDF.
Fourth, a clean-art version of the book was layed out in standard book format. While not as pretty as the original, it should allow printouts without fear of the more exotic art pieces offending someone.
Fifth, a clean version of the Dryden Racial Class has been added as a booklet PDF. This is to allow the GM to offer all of the basic rules without the additional material from the book (does not include the fantasy, modern, or future examples nor the mating information.)"

The correction of typos and errors is laudable, although I still note that, at least in the Table of Contents, "Foreword" is misspelled "Forward" (the error has been corrected in the text proper). Nitpicky, yes, but it jumped out at me before, and I noticed it right away this time as well.

I didn't have any problems personally with the bookmarking in the previous version or with the graphics (as far as load times), so the second and third updates did little to improve my experience with the product.

The inclusion of a clean print version works well for me, as the borders in the print version would take up a lot of ink. For this change, I'm grateful, although I will note that, as I looked at the clean print version, I did think that it looked, well, rather naked.

Finally, the Dryden racial class PDF booklet could be very useful to a group with a PC Dryden for the reasons listed above. Like the inclusion of a print version, this idea takes advantage of the electronic format nicely, allowing the consumer to use the product in the way he desires —– I could easily see someone using this booklet, rather than the clean print version, as a table reference and using the screen version as a reference during game prep.

All in all, a nice update. For me, the book still merits a strong 4.5, as my concerns from before stand. That said, I love the fact that John Bowden and Ancient Awakenings have taken the time to revise their product with the needs of their customers in mind. It's one of the great advantages PDFs have over print.

Remove ads