Dual Shield Ranger build help

milo

First Post
Also I was wondering about even picking up TWF, if you get Shield Master as a Ranger feat you don't need to meet the pre reqs. Shield master lets you fight with two shields at no penalty. The only reason I can see picking up TWF is to get double slice. From my personal experience ITWF and GTWF just lead to more misses in a round not normally more hits(six attacks with 2 hits isn't any better than 4 attacks with 2 hits).

EDIT:
Two shield fighting feat from above also needs TWF.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Hadn't seen two shield fighting before. That's a pretty sweet 3rd party feat, if you can get it allowed.

And that's a good point, milo. If you don't mind not using two shields till 6th level, you could actually skip out on TWF to ease the initial feat burden. It is eventually useful as a pre-req for the other TWF feats and double slice, though, as you said. I think around the time you can get GTWF, ITWF has a fair chance of hitting. Maybe hold off on TWF and ITWF until about then.

Systole

First Post
RAW, Shield Focus stacks with Two Shield Fighting, since Shield Focus adds to the shield bonus of a shield, and Two Shield Fighting allows for both shield bonuses to be in effect.

You just gotta be a little careful, as Two Shield Fighting is a 3rd party feat. Not that Paizo itself hasn't put out some pretty retarded stuff, but you should be extra careful around non-official splats.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
that video

guy has sucky looking shields. I can picture waaaay cooler stuff.

First off, the 4th edition "Gauntlet Axe" from Dark Sun. Imagine your shields as being sort of like battle axes, protruding from your bracers/armguards. As a double-half-moon design, it would look a lot like a round-ish shield on each forearm, even to the extent of having a spike at the tip where the central shaft ends (pointing forward, from your wrists). It would look cool, AND be very axe-like. Since there is virtually no distinction between bludgeoning and slashing damage in pathfinder (AFAIK), why the heck not, just call your shields battle axes in each "hand" and call it a day. Even better, since you can't drop them (although if you let your hand go on your heavy shield to grab onto a rope, say, if you're about to fall off a cliff, not sure how that'd work).

No-penalty TWF, pretty cool idea actually.

I'd be very interested in way that one could combine the mundate "throwing shield" property, with a magical "returning" for when you need that ranged attack. (surprise! whack). Screams Capn America a little loudly, though.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Sounds cool. I definitely would be open to more kinds of shields if your DM / rules allow. Bladed shields (sharp on the edges and/or with strips of razor-like blades running down the front of it) would be awesome.

Not sure a throwing returning shield screaming Cap. is a bad thing, but plenty of other ways to describe it. It's a mobile suit (giant piloted robot, basically), but could just model your shield and how its ranged attack works after Deathscythe's. Two pincer-like blades, it magically shoots off your arm in a spinning motion straight into the enemy.

Gundam Wing Tribute Deathscythe - YouTube

(only like those first 4 sec. from that mark are relevant)

Pretty sure that still looks like piercing damage. And messy if used on something made of flesh... :)

Remove ads