• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual Wielding Finessed Weapons?

ph34r

First Post
Can you dual wield finessed weapons with no penalties?

Edit: See my 2nd post in this thread for clarification.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"Benefit: With the selected weapon, the character may use a Dexterity modifier instead of a Strength modifier on attack rolls. Since the character needs the second hand for balance, apply the armor check penalty of any shield worn to attack rolls."

It doesn't mention a penalty for a second weapon, despite saying you need the second hand "for balance".

-Hyp.

ph34r

First Post
Let me make what I said a little bit clearer because I might have been a bit confusing.

With weapon finesse you need another hand free for balance. If you use a shield you incure it's armor check penalty to your attack rolls....But what if you have another weapon in your hand instead of a shield? Do get a penalty for that, and if so, what would it be?

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
The fact that it is finessed wouldn't help any, but the fact that all finesse-able weapons other than the rapier that can be wielded in the off-hand are light, would help. You'd get the lower 'off hand weapons is light' set of penalties when you fight with two weapons.

In short: the only thing Weapon Finesse does is let you use your dex mod instead of your str mod to-hit with the selected weapon. That's it. It gives no special additional benefit to fighting with two weapons.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I think people are missing what I'm getting at....

I'm not. I answered your question.

It says you need the second hand for balance, but this just means you have a penalty if you use a shield.

There is no mention of a penalty for a second weapon, or holding a lantern, or a wand, or anything except a shield.

It comes down to "you need the second hand for balance" being flavour text, and "you incur the armor check penalty of a shield on all attack rolls" being the mechanic.

In theory, you could use a finessed weapon even if your second arm was chopped off.

-Hyp.

Coredump

Explorer
Let me try and translate.

Fighter BOB is 4th lvl and has a strength of 12 and dex of 17

Fighter BOB is fighting with a rapier in his right hand, and a large shield in his left. His current BAB is +4. If he took Weapon Finesse, he would get a +3 for his dex, but a -2 armour penalty for the shield in his left hand. BAB +5.

Now, different scenario
Fighter BOB is fighting dual weapons, he has a rapier in his right hand and a dagger in this left. He has the feats, so he has a (modified) BAB of +2. He takes Weapon Finesse, so he gets a +3; does he get a -X for having the dagger in his left hand. (similar to having a shield, but yet different.)

That is the 'penalty' he was referring to.

edit: I was 'translating' while Hyper was posting....

Last edited:

ph34r

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

I'm not. I answered your question.

blah blah blah....

-Hyp.

My bad, I was referring to everyone except you! :D Everyone else thought it was was question about TWF. Thanks!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Fighter BOB is fighting with a rapier in his right hand, and a large shield in his left. His current BAB is +4. If he took Weapon Finesse, he would get a +3 for his dex, but a -2 armour penalty for the shield in his left hand. BAB +5.

Agh, my eyes!

His BAB is +4 no matter what.

His Attack Bonus changes; his Base Attack Bonus is fixed by his level.

Rapier and shield, no Finesse, his Attack Bonus is +5: BAB +4, Str +1.

Rapier and shield, Finesse, his Attack Bonus is +5: BAB +4, Dex +3, ACP -2.

If you use BAB to mean "modified total Attack Bonus", you'll confuse people horribly.

-Hyp.

Remove ads