• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Dualclassing 4e Style

Foxman

First Post
Dualclassing: (Beta build 1.1)

Similar to Multiclassing, Dualclassing characters select two classes and advance using the powers and abilities of both. What Dualclassing characters gain in diversity they loose in specialization. A Dualclassed character is not quiet as powerful as a single classed character in their defined role.

Armor Proficiencies: Use all Armor Proficiencies from both classes

Weapon Proficiencies: Use all Weapon Proficiencies from both classes

Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: HP 12 + Constitution Score

Hit Points per Level Gained: 5 (6 if Paladin or Fighter is one of the selected classes)

Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution modifier (8 + Constitution modifier if Paladin is one of the selected classes)

Trained Skills: From both class skill lists choose six trained skills at 1st level. You must select any required skills listed for either class. For example, if one of the two classes selected was a Cleric, Religion must be selected as one of the six trained skills.

Class Features: Gain all class features from both classes, with the following restrictions:

Cleric
- Healing Word: This power is only useable once per encounter.
- Channel Divinity: Regardless of how many different uses for Channel Divinity you know, you can use only one such ability per encounter. This includes if more than one class has this ability.

Fighter
- Combat Challenge: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 21st level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

Paladin
- Channel Divinity: Regardless of how many different uses for Channel Divinity you know, you can use only one such ability per encounter. This includes if more than one class has this ability.
- Divine Challenge: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 21st level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

Ranger
- Hunter’s Quarry: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 21st level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

Rogue
- Sneak Attack: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 21st level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

Warlock
- Eldritch Blast: You do not gain the Eldritch Blast class feature.
- Warlock’s Curse: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 21st level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

Warlord
- Inspiring Word: This power is only useable once per encounter.

Powers: All powers from both classes of the appropriate level are selectable. A character must have at least one Level 1 At-Will power from each class.

Restrictions:

A dual-classed character may not take Multiclass Feats.

A dual-classed character may not take a Paragon Path
- In place of the paragon path encounter power gained at 11th level, you can select any encounter power of 7th level or lower from either class.
- In place of the paragon path utility power gained at 12th level, you can select any utility power of 10th level or lower from either class.
- In place of the paragon path daily power gained at 20th level, you can select any daily power of 19th level or lower from either class.

Beta Notes:
Based on loosely on Sadrik’s concept in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=232922

Go forward thoughts:
- Should dualclassing restrict to “cross-roles”? IE: no Striker/Striker? Only things like Leader/Defender? (so no Rogue/Rangers) – if so then some of the class feature restrictions could be lifted…
- Comments, suggestions, and etc. welcome

Crowley42

First Post
This isn't bad I like how you restrict the class features but some testing may need to be done to determine if those are enough or if certain combos outweigh others. As for restricting things like striker/striker, i don't think thats really necessary. For example Fighter/Paladin is a def/def but allows a paladin who focuses on weapon skill more than divine favor to do their work or a fighter who has the favor of his god to aid in some ways. (either one would really focus on more fighter abilities but roleplay different). but all in all pretty good idea.

shadewest

First Post
I don't see why you took away Eldritch Blast from Warlocks, but not Magic Missle from Wizards. I'd either remove both powers, or allow both powers, but remove the "basic attack" capability for dual classed PCs. Great work. I think I'll try this.

Zelc

First Post
This is too powerful. Give you an example. Let's suppose we take a Warlord/Cleric. You have the same number of uses of Inspiring Word/Healing Word (actually MORE at epic levels), but you get more class abilities and options. Same with the Ranger/Warlock combo, unless you'd use Hunter's Quarry or Warlock's Curse more than four or six times per encounter, and you also gain added functionality of putting both on the same target in solo fights.

Now, you could just restrict same role combos, but I think this highlights that your multiclass system gives the character too much, or they don't give up enough to balance the benefits.

(For a non-same role example, take the Warlord/Fighter or the Warlord/Paladin. You give up one use of Inspiring Word for more benefits than I can count. Or take the Cleric/Paladin or Cleric/Fighter.)

Remove ads