• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dune: has anyone done it?

William drake

First Post
I've a question. Has anyone ran a Dune game, that is, a game based on the Dune stories writen by Frank Herbert? If so, tell me about them, and how did you rank the different types of people in the game: races, powers and ect. (Also, does anyone own one of those rare and $ Dune Rpg books? If so, tell me about it: what did you like, not like.)

Thanks.

Game On

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
I started building up and makeing notes for running a Dune game either just before the Prelude trilogy or just after Children with d20Modern/Future, but gave up.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I once tried converting WoD rules to create Dune setting but it didn't go that well. I managed to get Bene Gesserit powers right but the feeling of D10-rules just didn't work for me. So actual gaming with the setting never took place.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I own the Dune RPG. It's excellent - rules for constructing your own Minor House of the Imperium and running engaging political and social games. Same rules as Last Unicorn Games' Star Trek RPGs, all sadly out of print now that LUG is no more.

The game Burning Empires is reportedly very good for Dune-like games, also, and in fact a supplement for the original game Burning Wheel called Burning Sands is just Dune with the serial numbers filed off.

Cheers,
Cam

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I always felt that Battletech was more or less a direct rip-off of Dune. You had the great houses, Comstar was the only source for interstellar communications (replacing the Spacing Guild), and all of this took place after a so called golden age for humanity.

werk

First Post
William drake said:
I've a question. Has anyone ran a Dune game, that is, a game based on the Dune stories writen by Frank Herbert?

I remember being told, long ago, that Herbert HATED role playing games and the thought of degenerating his sci-fantasy epic into a 'game' that common hacks could twist or pervert to suit their fancy was abhorent to him despite the marketability.

Don't know if that's true or not, though probably an exaggeration, but out of respect we've never played there and have generally tried to avoid discussing DUNE at all unless we're watching David Lynch's director's cut while waiting for late arrivals.

I don't always respect the art, but I'll always respect the artist.

Remove ads