• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon #187 - first issue with 0 adventures?

samursus

Explorer
It occurs to me that there may be opportunity here.

One possible reason for the lack of adventures is that WotC may be short on suitable material to publish - after all, if they don't have suitable submissions, they can't publish them!

That suggests to me that if you are thinking you'd quite like to contribute, now may well be a good time to get the Submission Guidelines and put forward some queries.

Of course, it's also entirely possible that there's some other reason at play. But, really, what do you have to lose?

You have hit the nail on the head with this one, apparently. In the very recent Mailbag article they specifically mention a lack of people submitting material to fill out a particular type of article that a player is asking for. They once again put up their email address for submissions.

(not behind the paywall)

Incenjucar

Legend
You have hit the nail on the head with this one, apparently. In the very recent Mailbag article they specifically mention a lack of people submitting material to fill out a particular type of article that a player is asking for. They once again put up their email address for submissions.

(not behind the paywall)

Their answer is actually really confusing there. It suggests that WotC wants articles on how to live with what's already in the game instead of giving players new options for classes with very few. Yeah of course there aren't many people writing articles about how to reskin things.

delericho

Legend
It really wouldn't matter what I said. If I said there were 25 people managing it, you would likely give a similar response.

I can't speak for Incenjucar, but that certainly wouldn't be true for me. Had you said they had 25 people, then that's not the case - the problems with the magazines would lie somewhere else (bad management, inefficient operations, or something).

As it is, them having 1 person running the magazines would seem to make it clear where the problems lie: not enough resource. As AbdulAlhazred correctly observed in another thread: one person can only do so much.

If WotC seriously want the magazines to improve, it seems pretty clear what they need to do.

Incenjucar

Legend
It really wouldn't matter what I said. If I said there were 25 people managing it, you would likely give a similar response.

No. 25 people should be enough for such a small magazine with content provided by freelancers. I don't have any experience in magazines, but if someone said that Dragon needed 10 people and Dungeon needed 5 I wouldn't feel the need to argue without research. My life revolves around writing, so I know that while it can be hard it isn't THAT hard. Please don't assume I am an unreasonable person just because I disagree with you.

renau1g

First Post
Yeah djkinniman this was supposed to have been out in February, but as you can see it's nearly mid-March and we're just getting it...at least it's not a frickin' delve, but it's still kinda a railroad dungeon with the encounters only happening in order. I prefer a bit more sandbox play, but it's got original maps, and a decent set-up.

the Jester

Legend
In the very recent Mailbag article they specifically mention a lack of people submitting material to fill out a particular type of article that a player is asking for. They once again put up their email address for submissions.

(not behind the paywall)

WotC's policy towards submissions seems to largely be, "Ignore them." At least, based on my experience and anecdotal evidence from many others. No indication that they've looked at it, much less any indication of why they aren't taking it. Back in the days when the mags were in print, this was never true (at least, ime)- you at least got a form letter.

If they want to get good submissions, I think they need to acknowledge when people send stuff in, especially stuff that seems to be what a lot of folks were clamoring for or something that pushes the envelope. (I submitted a paragon adventure in a weird, tough, dangerous environment that would have been a real change of pace and would have returned a number of monsters and magic items to 4e. I know paragon adventures are undersupported, I know that there's a real hunger to see old edition stuff come back. No reply.)

Obryn

Hero
Yeah djkinniman this was supposed to have been out in February, but as you can see it's nearly mid-March and we're just getting it...at least it's not a frickin' delve, but it's still kinda a railroad dungeon with the encounters only happening in order. I prefer a bit more sandbox play, but it's got original maps, and a decent set-up.
Actually, it's also coming at a perfect time for me. My Dark Sun game recently hit 6th level, and I have a sentinel druid who's looking for something to do!

I got my bonus check, so given the dearth of new books, and given how WotC's site is suddenly visible through my work firewall, I decided to re-up. I'm glad I did, now.

-O

Remove ads