Dungeon and Dragon submission guidelines are up

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Shade said:
Any word on the leftover Paizo queries/submissions they inherited?

We call this the slush pile as did Paizo. Chris Thommason is charged with reviewing the slush pile that Paizo handed off to us several months ago. He is going through all these submissions and will contact the writers whose proposals have made it to the next stage in the same way as we have outlined in the new submissions guidelines.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Stormborn said:
That is a good question. I had sent a few queries (and had one long ago submission that I despair of ever hearing of again) just weeks before the announcement. I believe I had read in one place that someone over at WotC had inherited all of that, but my guess would be that its safer to just re-query and say "I sent these ideas to Dragon right before the announcement..." or the like.

Sending them again can't really hurt. I am sure Paizo gave us everything but why not cover your bases.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Scott_Rouse said:
We call this the slush pile as did Paizo. Chris Thommason is charged with reviewing the slush pile that Paizo handed off to us several months ago. He is going through all these submissions and will contact the writers whose proposals have made it to the next stage in the same way as we have outlined in the new submissions guidelines.

Thanks! :)

Monkey King

Explorer
DM-Rocco said:
Well, Paizo might have done that, but it was not always so. You used to have to send in a whole manuscript and then they would at least give you a letter back saying no way, or let's roll.

Sure I am venting with my little hate bubble, I want a magazine that I don't have to print out myself, something other then junk mail and bills in the mail, something real, none of this digital crap. Yes, I am one of those.

Good thing Kobold Quarterly is doing print subscriptions for "the world's most popular roleplaying game" material. Not to mention, there's No Quarter magazine, White Dwarf, and .... ok, that's about it.

If you want to be included in the email announcement when KQ paper subs open tomorrow, let me know.

Knight Otu

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
Sending them again can't really hurt. I am sure Paizo gave us everything but why not cover your bases.
Out of curiosity, if Paizo rejected a certain article proposal, is it generally a safe bet that you would reject the same proposal as well?

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
demiurge1138 said:
Psst... hate to burst your little hate-bubble, but that's exactly how Paizo did it for their print run of Dungeon and Dragon.
Every submission I've sent to Dragon or Dungeon (except those that they have now turned over to WotC) has at least received a form rejection email. A couple received a little more feedback (Mostly those to Mike McArtor. Thanks Mike!).

Davelozzi

Explorer
It looks like they'll be using the new tactical (aka delve) format for the online Dungeon. Bummer, not a fan, but then, I'm planning on going to Paizo for most of my adventure needs anyway.

Nellisir

Hero
Weird. Dragon/Dungeon's new submission guidelines...
WotC Dragon/Dungeon submission guidelines said:
- Using the templates and format described below, create a proposal for an article or adventure.
- E-mail your proposal to submissions@wizards.com.
- You will receive an auto-reply from our e-mail system letting you know that your submission was received.
- Wait patiently.
- If we like your idea, we’ll contact you via email within 60 days and ask for the complete manuscript.
- Send in your article or adventure to submissions@wizards.com.
- Wait patiently one more time.
- We’ll contact you within 60 days regarding the status of your submission (i.e., whether we opt to buy it or reject it).

...look an awful lot like the submission guidelines I wrote (and Rick Miller revised) for the Oerth Journal...about nine or ten years ago. I don't -think- I cribbed it off of Dragon....

Oerth Journal submission guidelines said:
- Review these guidelines. Including, Formatting Guidelines below.
- Send a query/ proposal to oerthjournal (at) gmail (dot) com in 1-2 paragraphs.
- Wait patiently (it can sometimes take a week to look over all the emails)
- Submit the manuscript if approved, to the above address.
- Wait patiently (again, reading and editing the article takes time)
- We'll look it over, add lots of notes, and 9 times out of 10, ask for revisions, clarification, and whatnot. Feel free to trade e-mails with whoever is editing your article. Depending on the article, we may request you follow a specific outline.
- Rewrite it and send it back.
- Somewhere around here, we'll decide the article is pretty darned OK, and stop sending it back.
- Cheer when the article hits the OJ! Show it off to all your friends and confuse your relatives! Thank Zagyg, I’m free! =)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
demiurge1138 said:
Psst... hate to burst your little hate-bubble, but that's exactly how Paizo did it for their print run of Dungeon and Dragon.

Just sayin'.

Demiurge out.

I got rejection emails from them...

Shemeska

Adventurer
Scott_Rouse said:

Thanks for letting us know Scott. I had a pretty massive yugoloth query that had been bouncing around for a year over with Paizo and had gone through various stages of revision with them, so hopefully it's part of that slush pile you're now getting a hold of.

But as you said, why not cover your bases. :)

Remove ads