Dungeon Crawl Classics

Phaedrus

First Post
"Are these dungeons created with in-game/scenario logic?"

Yes. The ones I've read have a logical reason for why things are the way they are. Some are better than others, but all are good IMHO.

Yair

Community Supporter
Quasqueton said:
I have seen these in my FLGS, and I too am interested to know if they are any good. My concern with puzzles and traps in dungeons is that they make logical sense in the environment. I'm disappointed to see puzzles and traps thrown into a dungeon just to have puzzles and traps.

Are these dungeons created with in-game/scenario logic?

Quasqueton
What Phaedrus said.
Like all D&D traps I've found they are not entirely logical, as in "My razorwire net will slice through the thieves if they try to brake my vault! Yay!... oops, I dialed the wrong code...AAAAHHHH!" But all the traps I run into made sense in that I-have-a-reason-to-put-this-here-and-no-concern-for-safety sort of way.

[slight SPOILER]
I run one of them, well a part of it, and there was kind of a control room. One of the PCs played a dwarven cleric, and tried to work the controls figuring he could overcome traps with healing. He tried a control, got zapped with electricity, healed himself, tried again, got zapped with electricity.... it went on and on like this for like 20 minutes, with all of use laughing hysterically. He just wouldn't learn. When he finally gave up, I informed him the control was simply broken, so he always got zapped... :D
[/SPOILER]

Grimstaff

Explorer
"Secret of Smuggler's Cove" is a blast, the players really liked the multi-leveled plot and the good variety of encounters.
"Sunless Garden" was also a hoot, though it is suggested for lvl 6-8, I would have put it at maybe 8-10, unless the PC's are particularly high-powered.

Crothian

First Post
IronWolf said:
I have played through DCC #11 The Dragonfiend Pact and it was a great time! So my impression so far has been quite favorable. I picked up DCC 20.5 I believe it was at Gen Con, but I haven't had a good chance to read through it yet.

Don't worry, you guys will be going through more. I don'ty have the full collection, but II goit some good one. It just they are for a higher level then you are currently at.

I like them.. currently running the Halls of the Barbarian Kings... or is it tombs.. I can never remember...
Nicely put to gether and melds easily with the Eberron history with only minor tweaks.

The only regret I have is not reading the stats on the Ogre's Greatsword prior to his first swing.....

Crit, hig damage rolls = dead Clawfoot companion.

The cool part is that it made the encounter terrifying for the party.

The not cool part is that my Ranger/Fighter is now carrying said sword :)

Romnipotent

First Post
I'm running #10 (?) The Sunless Garden.... and for 7 weeks I have now 8 PC deaths... of course I've rewritten a couple monsters to fit in more with the setting (Oathbound). I'm also doing darstadly malicious stuff like burrying them in caverns.
Its fun, and it does have that "original crawler" feel, but its lethal... Such as
the Troll Barbarian
as the first real encounter. Which when run through the back entrance means he can possibly kill a player. (thats right, theres a spoiler and reading it means you will guess it coming for some time)

Anyway, its prooving entertaining for my group, as much as I can tell. And they're getting pissed off at BBEG + Minions, so thats a plus

scadgrad

First Post
I've collected most of them and think highly of the series. I ran Mysterious Tower and the players really enjoyed it. With the same group we scratched the surface of Aerie of the Crow God and will probably need 2 or 3 sessions to complete it. I really like that mod. Overall, I think they're very much worth the cover price.

Abraxas

Explorer
Our DM has run us through a few of them.
For the most part they are very good at what they claim to be, however...
Two things I found annoying
1) They tend to promote the "I take 20 and search everything" mentality.
2) There are a couple of traps that just can't work the way they are described - quite jarring in a "suddenly my suspension of disbelief goes up in a puff of logic" sort of way

(side note - one of these traps irritated us so much that I made the offhand comment that if I ever met the author I would kick him square in the junk. One of our players made it to gen-con and met the author, and told him that. It was reported that the author took it in good humor :lol: )

Remove ads