Dungeon Crawl Classics

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I originally didn't touch these because they looked really cheap and nasty - something that is always going to turn me off a product. However, a few weeks back I had some spare cash and decided to pick one up ... and loved it. Almost as good as Necromancer Games' 1st ed feel modules, but shorter and easier to fit into a campaign.

They are quite combat heavy and have plenty of traps and secret doors for the rogues to find, plus I was pleased to note that a few of them use the Tome of Horrors (from NG) monsters. Kudos to Goodman Games for that.

A couple of them look a little naff to me but the majority are well worth the money invested.

shaylon

First Post
Crothian said:
Don't worry, you guys will be going through more. I don'ty have the full collection, but II goit some good one. It just they are for a higher level then you are currently at.

I can't wait. :cool:

-Shay

Grimstaff

Explorer
Romnipotent said:
I'm running #10 (?) The Sunless Garden.... and for 7 weeks I have now 8 PC deaths...
Its fun, and it does have that "original crawler" feel, but its lethal...
I told you! This would definitely take a saavy party to make it through at the recommended level without some heavy casualties. Random monsters ate my players alive! They ran into Shambling MOunds so frequently we started referring to them as "Lawn Mowers".

Grimstaff

Explorer
Abraxas said:
Our DM has run us through a few of them.
For the most part they are very good at what they claim to be, however...
Two things I found annoying
1) They tend to promote the "I take 20 and search everything" mentality.
That's what the wandering monster tables are for! Nobody can get much searching done with stirges flying in and out of the room every couple of minutes...

Grimstaff

Explorer
These modules, being so easily portable, have the definite potential to recreate that "shared adventure" experience that has been largely missing since the mid-80's or so. THats a good thing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've got several of these, and they're uniformly excellent. Goodman is going back and converting some to 3.5, expanding some others and adding sequels to still others. A DM just has to create the connective tissue to have a very fun old school campaign.

Remove ads