• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Delve feedback for WotC

Adso

First Post
Okay...

So... since WoTC has the maps, since they are included with the adventurers... and it's NOT competing with the Dungeon Tiles, WTF is the hold up?

Logistic and priorities. There may be more than that. I don't sit in those meetings. I only work on D&Di when an assignment or a deadline pops up. I have heard some discussion on the subject, but probably no more than 1% of the total discussion there has been on the subject. I am by no means an expert on the particulars. I was committing on speculation I knew was false.

I know this is the Internet, and there’s this idea that, “well if I can think it, you can do it.” It's not that simple. The D&Di team has a lot of things they could do (and must do) on their plate, and they have to figure out where to put priorities. Preparing those images, creating the logistic pipelines to make sure they are prepared, go up, and are useful every month take some amount of time and manpower. There is only so much time and manpower the D&Di team has and they have to prioritize wisely, which I’m always amazed at what a good job they do with this.

After all, they still work on two magazine and a web site every month (including the pod cast), they still have the Rule Compendium to update and tweak, respond to the information from the update team for both the Rules Compendium and the Character Builder...oh, and there is the Character Builder, which isn't done (beta) and even when it is, will need constant updating. Then there is the stuff that's coming down the pike.

Then there is the question how many subscribers they serve with a project or expansion of a project. It’s always better to put more resources into areas that please more subscribers. While there are some very vocal advocates of full size maps, in the great clambering of subscriber wants, it’s pretty low on the list.

That all sir, (excuse my snark) is WTF the holdup is.

JoeGKushner

First Post
No snark at all there.

My next question, is where can I vote with my wallet? Outside of the forums, unless I"m missing it, there's really no place to say what parts of the system we'd pay for.

If Dungeon if worth publishing, and tact tiles are useful, then there might be some people who think that full scale maps are useful with the subscription and if something else has to go to insure that happens, then we, the subscribers, should have some voice in that instead of WoTC flailing about trying to figure out what they're doing next.

Adso

First Post
No snark at all there.

My next question, is where can I vote with my wallet? Outside of the forums, unless I"m missing it, there's really no place to say what parts of the system we'd pay for.

If Dungeon if worth publishing, and tact tiles are useful, then there might be some people who think that full scale maps are useful with the subscription and if something else has to go to insure that happens, then we, the subscribers, should have some voice in that instead of WoTC flailing about trying to figure out what they're doing next.

And you do. The D&Di team is constantly listening to the people who post on the boards, here and on the Wizards of the Coast website, the people who send in e-mail, who send in bug reports, and members of focus groups, and they look at the numbers of how many users are using what part of the DDi suite of tools and services. They do market research and they have heated discussions about the content in-house. All of this information informs their decision on what to improve next or upkeep, and are ways in which the subscribers have a say in the content of the D&Di.

Absolutely keep on voicing your desire and using the system. Both of these things help us to serve your (and I mean the grand "your") wants and needs in the long run.

JoeGKushner

First Post
But is there like a monthly vote or something along those lines? I love the forums and options it provides and I've seen WoTC doing a survey lately but that wasn't quite focused just on the certain aspects as much as overall satisfaction/anticipation.

Note, I've rarely used the WoTC forums because of issues with my account there. And talking to the technical support was more trouble than it appeared hence posting here and the old RPG.net.

jephlewis

First Post
I'm not sure. But holy crap I didn't realize the secondary market was selling these tiles for that much of a markup (I am looking at the vendors at Amazon).

::Blink, blink::
You think that's bad? DT1 last year was selling for $125.00:eek:. One hundred and twenty five dollars, dude.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/246969-price-dungeon-tiles-what.html

Now, i'll grant you that some people selling stuff on amazon have a different opinion on how much stuff is worth, but this is what happens when wotc makes a product that is useful, edition-proof, limited quantities, and then lets it go out of print what, 8 months after release?

Now, this guy has a really great idea; make a "core set" for twenty bucks, always in print, containing basic tiles [like the core books contain basic classes and stuff], and then make "themed" dungeon tile sets that add to the core set [like wilderness, town, cemetery, etc...], just like supplements add to the core set of books.

Personally, I think this is a great idea. We got core books, right? Why not core dungeon tiles? That way, when wotc releases 'dungeon delve 2: electric bugaloo', you could use this 'core-always in print' set for most of the maps, and add a little of the current 'themed' tiles. This might lead to people buying delve, looking at the maps, then buying tiles because they've seen what they look like and stuff. A functional advertisement;) is win-win if you ask me. Why, you could even do the same thing for adventures...

I'd definitely buy 12 sheets of double sided 'generic' or basic tiles for twenty bucks, and so would others, I suspect.

I think I might go talk to the Rouse on Monday, though I am sure he's already on top of it (he usually is by the time I go talk to him about something).
The man could probably use some interns/assistants; delegating is a very versatile tool for managers.
[sblock]Scott, you now owe me TWO bajillion dollars. Meet me at the agreed upon coordinates for the drop off; remember, i'll take RPG swag in lieu of cash. P.S. bring cheezburgers[/sblock]

Thanks for asking the question. It was an eye opener for me.
You are quite welcome; thanks for looking into it. If you've got questions, we have lots of opinions:lol:.

Adso

First Post
But is there like a monthly vote or something along those lines? I love the forums and options it provides and I've seen WoTC doing a survey lately but that wasn't quite focused just on the certain aspects as much as overall satisfaction/anticipation.

Note, I've rarely used the WoTC forums because of issues with my account there. And talking to the technical support was more trouble than it appeared hence posting here and the old RPG.net.

No there's not a monthly vote.

You've made your case here and other places. We know there is a desire for us to do that, and it is a strong desire, but if it is a choice between doing this within the course of a couple months, or update the character builder and the compendium with all the PH2 classes, which one is the D&Di team going to pick? We are going to pick the one that affects the most users. This is my point.

Transmission ended. But thanks for the feedback, I will definitly discuss it with members of the D&Di team.

HRG

First Post
I'm not sure. But holy crap I didn't realize the secondary market was selling these tiles for that much of a markup (I am looking at the vendors at Amazon).

::Blink, blink::

I think I might go talk to the Rouse on Monday, though I am sure he's already on top of it (he usually is by the time I go talk to him about something).

Thanks for asking the question. It was an eye opener for me.

Put me down as another supporter of reprints. I'm a recent convert to Dungeon Tiles (I bought 8 sets the week before last) and I'd love to get my hands on a few copies of the first and third sets without paying out the nose for them.

Adso

First Post
You think that's bad? DT1 last year was selling for $125.00:eek:. One hundred and twenty five dollars, dude.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/246969-price-dungeon-tiles-what.html

Now, i'll grant you that some people selling stuff on amazon have a different opinion on how much stuff is worth, but this is what happens when wotc makes a product that is useful, edition-proof, limited quantities, and then lets it go out of print what, 8 months after release?

Yeah, some of the Hall of the Giant Kings are going for that much as well.

Now, this guy has a really great idea; make a "core set" for twenty bucks, always in print, containing basic tiles [like the core books contain basic classes and stuff], and then make "themed" dungeon tile sets that add to the core set [like wilderness, town, cemetery, etc...], just like supplements add to the core set of books.

I know that was looked into back in the early days of the product. I think there were some problems with the idea, but I don't remember the particulars, so I can't speak intelligently about the subject.

You are quite welcome; thanks for looking into it. If you've got questions, we have lots of opinions:lol:.

Don't I know it.

JoeGKushner

First Post
No there's not a monthly vote.

You've made your case here and other places. We know there is a desire for us to do that, and it is a strong desire, but if it is a choice between doing this within the course of a couple months, or update the character builder and the compendium with all the PH2 classes, which one is the D&Di team going to pick? We are going to pick the one that affects the most users. This is my point.

Transmission ended. But thanks for the feedback, I will definitly discuss it with members of the D&Di team.

Thanks. I guess part of my baffled 'WTF' moment was, and this is me being a computer ignant, is that it wouldn't seem to be a problem of making larger maps for game play if you have a high-res master copy of the map.

Remove ads