Level Up (A5E) Dungeon Delver's Guide Questions/Errors

carmachu

Explorer
might be me reading it wrong, but Thunder bolt spell is listed as a 4th level spell, but in casting at higher levels it says " for every spell slot above 3rd , the thunder and slashing damage increase by 1d6"

Is it a 4th or 3rd level spell? Or is it casting slot level about 4th?

Thanks

Mach5RR

Explorer
Comparing it to similar 3rd level spells (fireball) and 4th level spells (ice storm), it definitely seems closer to ice storm. It does damage like fireball, but you get the bonus of possible deafness (1 round) as well as extra damage if you can target objects as well. Thoe tell me it's a 4th level spell

Mach5RR

Explorer
Ok, I do have question looking at Doorbreaker (p.220). This thing auto crits against constructs and objects. It also inherits the breaker property by being a maul, which doubles damage against unattended objects.
Does this mean it doing almost the equivalent of 4x damage against an unattended object with every hit? I never occurred to me how a crit would interact with the breaker property, but with a base damage of 2d6+2, this seems to indicate the user is going to to 8d6+4 against unattended objects.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Ok, I do have question looking at Doorbreaker (p.220). This thing auto crits against constructs and objects. It also inherits the breaker property by being a maul, which doubles damage against unattended objects.
Does this mean it doing almost the equivalent of 4x damage against an unattended object with every hit? I never occurred to me how a crit would interact with the breaker property, but with a base damage of 2d6+2, this seems to indicate the user is going to to 8d6+4 against unattended objects.
Sounds awesome!

it'd be 8d6+8, actually. crits in a5e do double damage instead of just double dice.

Autocritting on constructs also means that a berserker with this weapon would really be the bane of guardians/golems!

Remove ads