• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon mapping software

BeholderBurger

First Post
Hey guys,

What dungeon mapping software do people recommmend? I dont mind whether it is free or purchasable as long as it is highly recommended.

Cheers

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
Depends on what you mean by mapping software. Do you mean virtual tabletop or software used to draw maps?

For virtual tabletop MapTool is probably tops if your focus is on maps. FantasyGrounds is also good, but doesn't have as many map features.

For creating maps, I like vector graphics programs. Adobe Illustrator is my choice, but Inkscape is free and very good. Photoshop is in there too. A good free work-alike is Paint.Net.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Hey guys,

What dungeon mapping software do people recommmend? I dont mind whether it is free or purchasable as long as it is highly recommended.

Cheers

I have both Campaign Cartographer 3 and Dundjinni. My personal recommendation is Dundjinni as my learning curve on it was significantly less than CC3; however, CC3 does have a lot of features that Dundjinni doesn't have that if you have the time, you can create some really cool-looking maps.

I know that some people on the boards here will swear by CC3 only or Dundjinni, but again, I think they are both really good programs, but for me, the learning curve on Dundjinni was really easy to get some decent maps going.

I don't know of the other tools though, I'm sure that some other mapping software is out there that's cool too.

ShadoWWW

Explorer
I have to agree Dundjinni and CC3 (and its plugin Dungeon Designer 3) are both great programs. However, I prefer CC3.

The learning curve for CC3 is longer than the curve for Dundjinni. And if you want fully exploit CC3 for dungeons, you really want its plugin Dungeon Designer 3 as well. Once you explore options CC3 offers, you most likely want its plugins City Designer 3 and Cartographer's Annuals as well. And it's pretty packet. However, if you decide to spend the money and learn the course, you will be able to make the most beautiful maps you could ever imagine and it will be a piece of cake.

Trust me. If you buy the CC3, DD3 and CD3 and invest time to learn them, you will never regret the spent money and you will be fully satisfied.

Stoat

Adventurer
If you go with CC3, watch/read as many tutorials as you can. Youtube has a bunch of them.

As others have stated, CC3 has a steep learning curve, but it's very powerful and can make gorgeous maps.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I use CC3 (and the add-ons and annuals) for all my mapping and highly recommend it. I also don't think the learning curve is nearly as high as it used to be with previous versions of the program. I suggest taking a look at the video tutorials for CC3 and DD3 over at Profantasy before you buy because they really show off a lot of what you can do with the software (and more importantly, how you can do it):

No matter what software you choose, be sure to check out The Cartographers Guild, a very helpful and friendly online community of RPG mappers who will be more than willing to help you out and give you advice. B-)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads