D&D 5E Dungeon Master's Guild: The Long Term

Curmudjinn

Explorer
So if this is going to turn into the App Store, I wonder how long until the embedded permissions start. If it generates profits, it'll happen. Or even ad placement within large releases, or page-flip pop-ups.

Yikes.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The problem with DM's Guild that will hinder it in the long run (and possibly stagnate the creation of homebrew entirely) is their lack of consideration for the writers. They don't care for due process and hat makes it far too easily for random people to simply remove content on DM's Guild on a whim.

I had one of the top selling products on there and someone trolled me, reporting that it was plagiarized. They obviously had no evidence to support their claim because it was completely fabricated, yet the product was removed from the site just the same. DM's Guild did not bother contacting me to ask for any form of evidence in my defense, or even bother notifying me that it was removed.
Eventually I did notice that it was missing and took the initiative myself by contacting them. Once they informed me what happened, I sent them copies of all of the raw data, including early concept theorycrafting and early iterations of every version of the product I conceptualized until its eventual release. They weren't at all concerned with evidence and the product was not going to be reinstated.

The experience soured me from homebrewing entirely. I removed the rest of my content from the site as it seemed pointless to use them as a host if my work could be removed so easily without any thought put into the process at all.

As more people get trolled in the same manner, the site will most likely crumble.

Although, this feature could also be one that proves to be a great asset for the site. Currently, filtering out the crap from the good products is far more trouble than its worth, but if this feature is regularly used to remove products that people don't like, then eventually all of the crap will be cut from the system with only the best of the best remaining.

I'm curious, what was the name of your product that was trolled and removed from DMsG?

Thanks.

Zalbar The Mad

First Post
The problem with DM's Guild that will hinder it in the long run (and possibly stagnate the creation of homebrew entirely) is their lack of consideration for the writers. They don't care for due process and hat makes it far too easily for random people to simply remove content on DM's Guild on a whim.

So they provide a marketplace and permission to use all the FR source material available prior to which you were asking to get sued for IP violation and this is going to stagnate content creation? Previously it was illegal to do so, now it is.

I had one of the top selling products on there and someone trolled me, reporting that it was plagiarized. They obviously had no evidence to support their claim because it was completely fabricated, yet the product was removed from the site just the same. DM's Guild did not bother contacting me to ask for any form of evidence in my defense, or even bother notifying me that it was removed.

Eventually I did notice that it was missing and took the initiative myself by contacting them. Once they informed me what happened, I sent them copies of all of the raw data, including early concept theorycrafting and early iterations of every version of the product I conceptualized until its eventual release. They weren't at all concerned with evidence and the product was not going to be reinstated.

The experience soured me from homebrewing entirely. I removed the rest of my content from the site as it seemed pointless to use them as a host if my work could be removed so easily without any thought put into the process at all.

As more people get trolled in the same manner, the site will most likely crumble.

This screams sour grapes. Seriously, get over it and move on. Either publish and take the risk, or keep it for your own personal campaigns.

Giant2005

First Post
This screams sour grapes. Seriously, get over it and move on. Either publish and take the risk, or keep it for your own personal campaigns.

You forgot the more practical option: stop wasting your time homebrewing things, if the site that hosts them isn't fit to be relied on.
Coincidentally, that more practical option is also why it has the potential to stagnate homebrew.

Zalbar The Mad

First Post
You forgot the more practical option: stop wasting your time homebrewing things, if the site that hosts them isn't fit to be relied on. Coincidentally, that more practical option is also why it has the potential to stagnate homebrew.

I do not think "homebrew" means what you think it means. People have and will continue to create their own homebrew cammpaigns with or without the DMS Guild. If you mean publishing on the DMG then I highly doubt that. There is no shortage of content creators for D&D.

Giant2005

First Post
One bad apple does not invalidate the entire orchard

That really depends on what caused that apple to go bad!
If that apple went bad because of negligence on behalf of the orchard's staff, then it is likely that there will be more bad apples showing up.

Sacrosanct

Legend
So if this is going to turn into the App Store, I wonder how long until the embedded permissions start. If it generates profits, it'll happen. Or even ad placement within large releases, or page-flip pop-ups.

Yikes.

Not to pick on you personally because I've seen a lot of doom and gloom predictions from more than just you. People need to understand that this model has already been out there for more than a decade. Ran by the same company in fact. I think we have a pretty good idea as what to expect about how the model will work already. I am not worried about many of these doom and gloom predictions because all the years of evidence points to there not being these predicted issues.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Epic Level Handbook.

Intriguing. That was one of the more popular products. It was still on sale yesterday if I remember correctly. Ashame, it was one of the more interesting products on DMsG.

I can understand why at first glance someone could think it was a copy, but has WotC told you anything since you talked to them?

Also, how many copies did you end up selling? I'm curious what a popular product means in term of sales.

Thanks.

Remove ads