Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

tuxgeo

Adventurer
. . .
Then, tapping Tock on the shoulder, marvelling at the sheer strangeness of this metal creature and eager to see what he was capable of: "We can't discuss it forever. Tock makes the call. We'll follow his lead. Alright, Tock?"

Aeiyan smiles as that and adds, "Ready when he is. I'll slide over to where the lights are: if they see at least one arrow coming from there, they might keep aiming their own shots that way."

The ranger moves carefully to the back of the area near the lights, nocks the arrow he has drawn; and when Tock shoots his bolt, Aeiyan steps out halfway from behind a tree and attacks the hobgoblin nearest to Tock. That done, he edges back behind the tree.
(Longbow normal range is 150 feet, so it's within that.)

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"Ah, so it seems our foe has revealed their hostile intent" says Tock. "And no doubt they believe they have slain two helpless wanderers. Let us show them that they have bitten off more than they can chew!"

Tock looses a bolt at the nearest Hobgoblin, trusting his allies will follow suit.g

2d20 take lowest +3 = 6

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4303980/

(OOC: first ever go at D&D Next combat so let me know if I've got this wrong; disadvantage for long range (100ft compared to 80ft light crossbow range), +2 DEX, +1 proficiency?)

Edit: still not got the hang of invisible castle. Not sure why it isn't taking the lowest roll and adding 3?)

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Bartleby extinguishes two of the lights when the arrows hit. His thumb and two finders continue their hypnotic dance, which is mirrored by the lights.

Ok.

Aeiyan smiles as that and adds, "Ready when he is. I'll slide over to where the lights are: if they see at least one arrow coming from there, they might keep aiming their own shots that way."

The ranger moves carefully to the back of the area near the lights, nocks the arrow he has drawn; and when Tock shoots his bolt, Aeiyan steps out halfway from behind a tree and attacks the hobgoblin nearest to Tock. That done, he edges back behind the tree.
(Longbow normal range is 150 feet, so it's within that.)

Make a Dexterity(Stealth) check to slide unseen to that position.

"Ah, so it seems our foe has revealed their hostile intent" says Tock. "And no doubt they believe they have slain two helpless wanderers. Let us show them that they have bitten off more than they can chew!"

Tock looses a bolt at the nearest Hobgoblin, trusting his allies will follow suit.g

2d20 take lowest +3 = 6

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4303980/

(OOC: first ever go at D&D Next combat so let me know if I've got this wrong; disadvantage for long range (100ft compared to 80ft light crossbow range), +2 DEX, +1 proficiency?)

Edit: still not got the hang of invisible castle. Not sure why it isn't taking the lowest roll and adding 3?)

You have disadvantage due to range, but advantage because you are hiding from your target, so they cancel each other out. Your attack roll result is then 15. Roll for damage!

Everybody, roll initiative!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Bartleby curses (in goblin) at the impetuousness of his colleagues, attacking while them hobgobbers are still at range. Nevertheless, he's alert and ready.

[sblock="roll"]1d20+3 = 19[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
When the arrows start flying, Sulannus finishes the last words of the incantation she started with a dramatic flourish of her hand. A beam of slightly blue-tinged white shines out of the crystal in her fingers and paints a streak connecting it to one of the hobgoblins for a second or two. In that bare heartbeat of a moment, a patter of tiny ice crystals fall from the path of the beam and turn the grass under it slightly whitish for a moment before it melts away again.

[sblock=Rolls and such]I tried posting this before and it didn't work, and Inviscastle's search wasn't working so I just rolled again. The previous rolls were if anything a little better, damagewise at least, so hopefully this is okay. :(
Init 19
To hit 18
Damage 3 cold from Ray of Frost. Doesn't look like I get a damage add on this, but it's just a cantrip so what do I want, right? :)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4308084/[/sblock]

Li Shenron

Legend
Tock's shot catches the hobgoblin in the middle by surprise, the arrow hitting his shoulder solidly. The goblinoid guard screams and curses, perhaps noticing he made a mistake and, unlike his fellows, he gave away his cover too much to take the shot.

Aeiyan barely has the time to reposition himself near the location of the dancing lights, but has the feeling he managed to remain unseen under the dense foliage, thanks to his knowledge of the woods. [No time for an attack during the surprise round, tho]

The first regular round of battle starts now, and this will be the initiative order:

Bartleby 19
Sulannus 19
Hobgoblins 13
Aeiyan 10
Rejik 9
Tock 7

Bartleby and Sulannus are actually free to decide which one goes first although it probably won't change much (Sulannus however can still choose if targetting the wounded hobgoblin or another).

There are now one wounded hobgoblin standing visibly on the middle boulder ("middle hobgoblin") with no significant cover, and the other two ("left hobgoblin", "right hobgoblin") are to the sides of the cave entrance and have some limited cover to shoot from behind.

Aeiyan , Rejik and Tock can wait to see what the hobgoblins do and re-declare their actions then.

All of you except Tock (who has revealed his position) are still hidden, therefore have advantage on attack rolls against the hobgoblins (Sulannus can roll again to check for a critical!).

[sblock=Behind the curtains]Took me a while to decide how to handle this slightly unsynchronized situation :) because the hobgoblins had attacked outside the regular initiative roundabout.

I ruled that Tock's shot had to be quick to catch the hobgoblins by surprise before all of them could get back to cover, but then it also caught everyone else surprised, except Aeiyan who was on its way already.

An oddities I had to sort out also... I couldn't easily found what happens in case of a tie in a skill contest, which was the case of Aeiyan's Stealth check. Now I've found that the (new for me) 5e resolution method is "the previous situation persists", i.e. he remains hidden.[/sblock]

Remove ads