• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
While Bartleby examines the stone boxes, Tock reaches in for one of the wooden boxes. He turns it over in his hands several times and feels the weight, shaking it gently to see if he can hear anything inside.

"Strange... what could be within these I wonder?"

[OOC: Does Tock hear anything when he rattles the wooden boxes; and also, what condition are the wooden boxes in? Is the wood old, decayed, rotten and possibly easy to break open, or still in good condition?]

Not too sure if this would be Investigation or Perception so I'll do both:

Skill check 1d20 +1 or -1 = 8 (Wisdom/Perception) or 6 (Intelligence/Investigate)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4565787/

Li Shenron

Legend
[OOC: Does Tock hear anything when he rattles the wooden boxes; and also, what condition are the wooden boxes in? Is the wood old, decayed, rotten and possibly easy to break open, or still in good condition?]

Not too sure if this would be Investigation or Perception so I'll do both:

Skill check 1d20 +1 or -1 = 8 (Wisdom/Perception) or 6 (Intelligence/Investigate)

Yes they definitely rattle... The boxes are in good conditions, old but sturdy. But you can always try to break them open if you really want to, at least the wooden ones.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Let's take these things for now," Bartleby suggests, indicating the boxes and the jewellery, "and we can look at them more closely when we next rest. For now we should probably continue moving."

If that's fine, Bartleby also removes the jewellery and helps put back the sarcophagus lid. He doesn't know enough about magic to think that this is somehow going to re-activate protective wards, but he willingly accepts the story, and is ready to move on.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Aeiyan helps the others replace the stone lids on the sarcophagi.

"If we're looking for a place to rest, is this a good choice? Or are we looking for some place a bit easier to defend?"

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"If we've driven off the ghouls and there's no sign of any further danger, I would say this is as good a place as any." replies Tock. "We can regain our strength and perhaps take a closer look at these boxes from the coffin. Does anyone here have any skill with locks?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"No," admits Bartleby, "but I've always wanted to learn.. Maybe I can watch and give advice. That is, if we're stopping." The dwarf makes grumpy noises.

OOC:
I'm sorry I've lost track. Do we need to rest already? In game time, we rested an hour two encounters ago, right? (stirges and ghouls) Is anyone wounded seriously and needs healing? Maybe we can just press on?

If we're stopping, Bart can cast guidance on anyone proficient with thieves' tools; if there's two we can even get advantage form an assist. But I'm just as happy leaving this for now, and pressing on.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
OOC: Since reaching level 2 Tock has an unused Second Wind so he can regain a few HP without a rest. If everyone else is OK we could have a crack at the boxes and review our next move without a formal 'Short Rest'?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: the druid can also heal you, if you're hurting.

I do realize I made some assumptions in the last post, so I'll try to make them explicit:

1. maybe we need to take a long rest in order to level up. that's reasonable, and if so, we can do that here. In that case, Bartleby can cast healing all round beforehand and then spend the time recovering spells.

2. When I levelled up, I did shift spells around; since we've not had a long rest yet, he doesn't yet know Healing word and still has Cure wounds and Entangle prepared. He can use Cure wounds if it's needed..

3. the locks: I don't know if anyone has a set of picks or not. Without any tools, I think we can't effectively open them. If two people are proficient, we can use aid another (or whatever it's now called), assisted further by guidance.

I think that's it.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
[OOC: As far as I can tell, we have zero party members proficient with thieves' tools--and none of our characters owns a set, anyway. We would have to search for keys, or wait until we get to a town where we can buy thieves' tools, or bust the boxes open. If the coffin that had been raided by the ghouls to get the black cloth to build their thrones contained the mortal remains of "The Wolf," then maybe he was put to rest with his keys still on him; or maybe the keys are still in the fortress. Ghouls mightn't have grabbed any keys out of his sarcophagus.]

[OOC2: Sulannus was down to 5 HP, the last time I paid attention; and Aeiyan is down to 7 HP after the ghouls.]

"What have you found there? Jewelry? Boxes?" Aeiyan asks. "Has anyone of us seen any keys lying about?"
[OOC3: Roleplaying Aeiyan's new (upgraded to Basic) "Proverbal" trait, wherewith he asks, "let us speak of things."]

wedgeski

Adventurer
"What''re you waiting for? Whatever you can bust open, bust open. I guarantee you the owner doesn't care. I want to get these sarcophagi sealed again as quickly as we can."

[OOC: I would like to take a Long Rest even if it doesn't strictly fit with the party's goals, and BTW I still have to level Rejik to 2nd and do the conversion -- hopefully today.]

Remove ads