Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
(round 3)

"Yip kip kip!", Bartleby shouts. Save me.

Whatever the hobgoblins are thinking, he feel s he has convinced them that he is fleeing form the others, and perhaps one of them. There is no sense letting that deception falter now:

He continues straight through the opening, ready to combat whatever he sees there.

Li Shenron

Legend
Here's a recap of the situation at round 3.

All of you are already there at the boulders line, except Sulannus who (if I'm couting right) is still one move action away. You are all basically covering behind the boulders or near the side edge of the cave, and taking a peek into it.

[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], I am not sure if I understand right, that you want to enter the cave immediately at this round? (You can still choose!)

To climb over the boulders, you either spend one move action, or make a Strength or Dexterity (with Athletics or Acrobatics proficiency bonus) to get on top with a free action (but if you fail the check then you waste a move action and don't get there).

The entrance is about 20ft wide and 15ft high. Because the entrance is facing East, and it's almost twilight, there is only at best 10ft of visibility into the cave (dim light, counts as lightly obscured), which is empty except for a couple of bags and waterskins scattered on the floor. But you can see that the cave narrows quickly down to a smaller size.

However, Bartleby can see in darkness [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]):

[sblock]To you the cave appears clearly as narrowing to a passage of 5ft of width and 10ft of height, starting about 10ft from the boulders, but seems to open again beyond. Just there at the bottleneck, you see one of the hobgoblin guards forcibly pulling back one of his fellows into the inner cave.[/sblock]

---

Here's a reminder of the initiative order:

Bartleby 19
Sulannus 19
Hobgoblins 13
Aeiyan 10
Rejik 9
Tock 7

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], I am not sure if I understand right, that you want to enter the cave immediately at this round? (You can still choose!)

To climb over the boulders, you either spend one move action, or make a Strength or Dexterity (with Athletics or Acrobatics proficiency bonus) to get on top with a free action (but if you fail the check then you waste a move action and don't get there).

(no sense changing now)

"Two hobgobbers, in a passage, ten feet back," says Bartleby as he continues running straight through the boulders. His voice isn't loud, and will only be heard by those right near him. He's not shouting, like before.

For his move, he makes it to the top of the boulders (B1), and he then continues down the other side, missing the passageway, but moving to the wall (B2), hopefully out of line-of-sight of the hobgoblins, who (he hopes) are focusing on those not shrieking in goblin:

……..\. . . . . . /
……. \ . . . . /
………. | . . .|
... ------|H H|---
…. /.…B2………...\
…./.…………………. \
……. B1…(Boulder)

(okay, so drawing didn't work so well :p )

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
For his move, he makes it to the top of the boulders (B1), and he then continues down the other side, missing the passageway, but moving to the wall (B2), hopefully out of line-of-sight of the hobgoblins, who (he hopes) are focusing on those not shrieking in goblin:

Ok, I'm not giving you a suggestion here, more a clarification :) Anyone going into the cave will be seen by the two hobgoblins, who are pulling back* but are facing forward keeping at eye to the entrance (they still have line-of-sight to the whole entry area), because they know intruders are coming.

*Think like hobgoblin #1 is walking backwards into the inner cave, and with one hand he's pulling/dragging hobgoblin #2 (who is therefore precariously balanced) also backward, grabbing him from the back. The bottleneck is about as wide as 5ft so think of them more like #2 is at the start of the bottleneck, #1 is behind.

Edit: this should have probably been hidden under a [sblock] tag since only Bartley can see in the dark, but no problem :)

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Ok, I'm not giving you a suggestion here, more a clarification :) Anyone going into the cave will be seen by the two hobgoblins, who are pulling back* but are facing forward keeping at eye to the entrance (they still have line-of-sight to the whole entry area), because they know intruders are coming.

*Think like hobgoblin #1 is walking backwards into the inner cave, and with one hand he's pulling/dragging hobgoblin #2 (who is therefore precariously balanced) also backward, grabbing him from the back. The bottleneck is about as wide as 5ft so think of them more like #2 is at the start of the bottleneck, #1 is behind.

[sblock="OOC, for Li Shenron"]Okay, I get you are trying to warn me off from this, but I'm just not getting what you are suggesting. Is it that Bartleby can Move (to the top of the boulders) and Charge (moving a half move and then attacking the off-balance Hobgoblin)? Is it an attack with advantage?

If so, that's what I'll do. I didn't think an attack was possible.

(If I'm still misunderstanding, then I'll lay out everything I'm thinking. I seem to be confused -- sorry).
[/sblock]

Li Shenron

Legend
[sblock="OOC, for Li Shenron"]Okay, I get you are trying to warn me off from this, but I'm just not getting what you are suggesting. Is it that Bartleby can Move (to the top of the boulders) and Charge (moving a half move and then attacking the off-balance Hobgoblin)? Is it an attack with advantage?

If so, that's what I'll do. I didn't think an attack was possible.

(If I'm still misunderstanding, then I'll lay out everything I'm thinking. I seem to be confused -- sorry).
[/sblock]

[I think we can discuss this openly, it's no big deal :) It's just generally harder to describe situations in PbP than face-to-face (i.e. in real time), so if I see you make some decision that would have unlikely be taken if I had described the scene properly, I think it's fair to notify you and give you the chance to remake your decision.

Basically it seemed to me that you thought there was a way to get to that position unseen, but there isn't, and this should have been clear to you since you can see in the dark. Furthermore, I didn't say so but jumping down from the boulders shouldn't cost any additional action IMO. So you can change your move to a charge (distance is ok, to charge the minimum is 10, the maximum is half your speed, so it's actually just right!) if you want, or another action.]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks.

If Bartleby can Move, draw, charge and attack the off-balance Hobgoblin, he will do that.
If not, then he will move, and move to a position out of line-of-sight to the bottleneck, which will either keep him close to the fleeing cowards or lure them out (either to attack or -- if his deception is still effective -- to get them within melee range to help.

Remove ads