Dungeon Tiles - Photos

Kesh

First Post
I have discovered one draw back on these that seems minor but is a problem. For a game at the local game store I bought large pieces of foam board and using fun tack (very sticky puddy) I set up several maps in advance. Two months later I needed the tiles and went to remove them-

The fun tack will TEAR the pieces. So be careful.

Well, yes, if you leave the tack on for that long, it can damage them badly. The key is that if you only leave it on for a couple hours at most, it should come off fine.

AstroCat

Adventurer
I've posted about terrain usage several times. I use WOTC DTs, printed .pdf tiles, Flipmats w/dry erase, scanned and printed module maps and Dundjinni printed maps all as time and need allows. Right now I am using WOTC DTs and .pdfs printed tiles the most.

I made some 26x40 foamcore play boards (4 of them). 26" so that you have 11" on each side for paper and books on a 48" wide table. I can put 2 long ways or 3 wide ways on a 4x8 table plus GM area. I covered the foamcore with the rubber like covering you use for carpets on a hardwood floor. You can get it a Home Depot in big sheets. I just cut it and wraped it arount the foamcore and taped in down on the backside.

This makes for a non-slide surface for your tiles. I make setups on the 4 boards before the sesions and bring them out as needed. I use black construction paper for Fog of War. You set up on the go as well.

One big problem was tiles sliding on tiles for the extras, like doors and such. I hated this. So, I experimented and the best stuff I found is poster puddy. You can get it at Target. A super small amount sticks the pieces down and I've left it on for 3-4 days at a time and no residue or tearing. Works great and is reuable.

That's how I've been doing it lately. I have a ton of WoTC tiles, 2-5 of each set. I have found that my players have really been enjoying them so I keep using them in combo with the printed tiles which are more versitale but more work at the start with the printing and cutting. I just use printer cardstock for them and cut them out.

For organizing the WoTC tiles, I organize them by similiar sets in big zip lock bags. In each main bag I seperate them out by size for the most part in to smaller bags, combining them in to what seems logical groupings to me. This way I can get them quickly and the sets that work together are already together. I've found this way to be the quickest for set up and putting them away.

Last edited:

Gailbraithe

First Post
I have multiple sets of each. I lay down a large piece of black felt as a tablecloth, and the tiles don't slide around significantly.

I'm not so fond of the pieces with a lot of details, as they rarely have exactly what I want, but I combine the plainer pieces with miniature furniture pieces from various sets and can usually do up just about any adventure I run, which is mostly Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Hm, think my magnetic whiteboard idea is far superior to tac ;)

alas, the gridded magnetic boards are expensive ($150+ dollars), but the plain ones are much cheaper.

Neodymium magnets (not niobium, doh, I'm going senile in me old age :p) are tiny, very powerful and cheap, just checked, like £6 for 50 x 6mm diameter x 0.5 thick size magnets. nice size to hold down tiles or minis and bloody strong.
;)

The_Fan

First Post
I use Dwarven Forge whenever I have time to set up stuff and don't have to travel. But I still find the Dungeon Tiles very useful when I travel to run a game away from home, or when I need to set up an encounter area quickly. I also like using the Ruins of the Wild set of Dungeon Tiles to create outdoor encounter areas. I hope Wizards put out more outdoor tiles soon for more variety.
You buy Dwarven Forge? You must either be very rich or very poor.

Thanee

First Post
Used them for the first time, yesterday. They worked really well to build pretty much the whole opening section (encounter areas 1 and 2 together) for the Keep on the Shadowfell (including most "furniture"). :)

I will probably get at least a 2nd set of #7, though, as it has the most useful accessory pieces, which you could certainly need more from.

Bye
Thanee

Jhaelen

First Post
Some more outdoor variety would be great. Like small lakes/ponds or actual rivers that are more than a few feet wide, bridges, stuff like that.
First, thanks for posting these screenies. I've been looking for something like this for ages! I don't really understand how WotC expects me to buy these sets without knowing what's in them...

Still, despite that I _have_ bought two sets: DT4 and DT5.
DT4 is excellent and I think, I've used it in every session since I got it. Since most of the action in my games happens in the outdoors, I could use a lot more of these: Rivers and Bridges, swampy terrain, snow & ice, mountaineous areas, city terrain, etc.

DT5 was a major disappointment. I've been fiddling with the pieces for hours (before using them in a game) and came to the conclusion that I'll probably never use them. Too many small pieces and simply not enough ways to combine them correctly. The black borders kill every utility they might have had.
Maybe, I'll design a dungeon at some time in the future using these things, so I'll at least get to use them in the game _once_.

I don't see much advantage in actual _dungeon_ tiles, to be honest. A dry-erase battlemat is much more useful for that.

Remove ads