• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon tiles. yay or nay?

Stormsparrow

First Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

From what I'm hearing, it sounds as though I should purchase a battle mat, and perhaps a couple sets of tiles to supplement that.

Maybe I'll invest in more if they work well for me.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
To me it depends on how literally you take any maps you get in pre-made products. For the most part, I use 3D terrain I make out of foam or cardstock, but I also use pre-printed maps and dungeon tiles and tiles I've bought from fierydragon and fatdragongames and skeletonkeygames.

I find the visual more appealing, and I think Matthew (who is one of my players) likes the terrain also. However, as a DM, it is easier to use a dry or wet erase items.

If you are willing to wing the size of rooms more (and not necessarily make them the same size/shape as the map in the adventure you've bought) you'll have more fun with the tiles. If you want your maps to look exactly like the pre-made maps, you'll have more fun with some combo of tiles and products you can write on.

Nebulous

Legend
Overall, no, i don't like them very much, and i have quite a few. You can't draw on them, they slide around unless you take extra precautions, and it can take a considerable amount of time to build what you want, especially if you have to sift through a big box of em. That said, some of the pieces are great, and i have used them to good effect here and there, but overall i prefer a battlemap, or other paper terrain, or 3D terrain. If i had oodles of money i'd use more DF.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, paradoxically, I've found that the 'Dungeon tiles' that don't have dungeon terrain on them work best. The single best set yet was 'Ruins of the Wild'. I've used these tiles in countless sessions.

I'm also really looking forward to the 'Sinister Woods' set.

Klaus

First Post
Mr. Garr! It's a delight to see you.

Err, and yes - big fan of the tiles here. I don't use them for every encounter, but I do like them. I also really like the dungeon dressing tiles that come in Fiery Dragon's 4e Battlebox. A dry erase battlemap also comes in the box, giving me good options from both worlds.
I knew I liked you for a reason! Now go to the Publishers forum and answer my question in the CC/BBox thread!

:D

I use Dungeon Tiles whenever possible, and sometimes change dungeon details so I can more easily assmeble them.

The recent Dungeon Delve book has me salivating to run some adventures that take full advantage of the Tiles.

Ktulu

First Post
Someone mentioned using that adhesive putty once. That changed Dungeon Tiles for me.

I'd occasionally use them before, but now I can actually put the whole thing together and it stays in place regardless of bumping. The putty doesn't damage the tiles and can be re-used as much as you want. I was even able to detail the larger rooms for an away game, and then took them to the game, ready-made.

Seriously, for a few bucks you can get a decent amount of the stuff at any hardware or hobby shop, and it's frickin awesome. Makes the Dungeon Tiles invaluable, imho.

Ktulu

Aluvial

Explorer
I have a few sets of all the tiles and use them for infrequent set pieces. They are really nice... if you have a bunch of them, especially from the first two sets, which are invaluable to get started.

The best method I've found to use them is placing them on an oversized cork board. I pin the edges with clear plastic thumbtacks. If you pin the edeges, no bumping issues, and if you pin a center piece or two, I can even lift the whole board, and stand it up on its side for use.

I'm running a few premade dungeons this way, and each level is on its own board. When I want the new level, I pull the board and lay it on the table. Perfect.

But you wanted to know the best method of mapping... Find and buy immediately a dry erase board with a 1" grid printed on it. I had to look a little, but that beauty sees most of the work in our game. Dry erase is the way to go, and the grid is perfect.

I only wish I had bought the biggest size....

Aluvial

Festivus

First Post
I knew I liked you for a reason! Now go to the Publishers forum and answer my question in the CC/BBox thread!

:D

I use Dungeon Tiles whenever possible, and sometimes change dungeon details so I can more easily assmeble them.

The recent Dungeon Delve book has me salivating to run some adventures that take full advantage of the Tiles.

I have been trying to get the CC 4E set but my FLGS tells me that he can't get them through his distributor... yet. Is there anything I can do to help that process along? (oops, total derail there, sorry!)

cdrcjsn

First Post
I like the look of Dungeon Tiles, but the actual use of them in play is such a headache as others have pointed out. Not only do they tend to move around unless you secure them, but unless the DM takes the time before the game to organize them, setting them up can take a bit of time.

I used them when they first came out, but have since resorted to just using a regular ole battlemap.

Other options though for your consideration:

WotC put together their Dungeon Tile software and you can make your own and print them: Dungeon Tile Mapper -- v1.2.0

Here are some non-WotC ones by Crooked Stuff Productions: PDF Dungeon Tiles

I've also started making some simple black and white drawings on PDFs for my own use that are print and play ready: Familiar Ground » D&D Downloads

Remove ads