• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dungeon] Top 30 Greatest Adventures Discussion (Spoilers)

buzz

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
If people want some of those classics updated, a signed paper petition wouldn't be a bad idea. I hear that even in these electronic days, that paper still has more weight than e-mail.
Do companies the size of WotC really pay atttention to petitions? Do we need to see, e.g., the Giants modules revamped/repackaged yet again? (This would be what, the third or fourth time?)

I admit, I'd probably be interested in new editions of many of these classics... but I'd be even more interested in new adventures with the kind of quality that would destine them to be classics in their own right.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
buzz said:
Do companies the size of WotC really pay atttention to petitions? Do we need to see, e.g., the Giants modules revamped/repackaged yet again? (This would be what, the third or fourth time?)

Wizards might not, but Paizo might... :)

SKR did the 2E version of Against the Giants, but a 3E version would be nice as well.

buzz

Adventurer
I suppose it can't hurt to have certain "classics" continually kept abreast of the current edition. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, really. I bought RttToEE the second it came out. :)

But still... I do want to continue to see cool *new* ideas as well. I'm one of those goofballs who thinks Eberron is the bomb, f'rinstance.

Glyfair

Explorer
spacecrime.com said:
I don't know about updating the top thirty, but I think updating and re-producing a few of them would do very well.

I actually had a similiar thought about this. I was wondering how many of these adventures would hold together in 3E, if you did very little conversion (i.e. just use the 3E version of whatever creature was plotted in an area).

I've run 3e versions of U1 - The Secret of Saltmarsh and the G1 - Steading of the Hill Giant Chief portion of QUeen of Spiders. I've also played in a Slavers 3.0 upgrade (just the A1 portion).

They're great in 3e, but the encounters aren't as balanced as they were in 1st ed. The DM definitely needs to do some tweaking (mainly scaling back). For example, the notes on G1 say that optimal mix is 9 characters of 9th level each. Not a "standard" 3e party of four characters at all. Then, factor in that some of monsters are a much different challenge than they were in 1st edition and the modules, and the DM needs to plan accordingly.

Last edited:

well, I'm going to defy the common opinion here and put Dwellers of the Forbidden City as my #1... just because I love jungle adventures. :) I remember going through this as a player and loving it, and as a DM, I worked it into a whole set of adventures set in the jungles of Hepmonaland...
Other than that, I'd give the 'greatest module ever' title to the GDQ series... it was simply great fun...

JoeGKushner

First Post
buzz said:

I admit, I'd probably be interested in new editions of many of these classics... but I'd be even more interested in new adventures with the kind of quality that would destine them to be classics in their own right.

Well, I'm not talking about a Return to, I'm talking about updating the originals so that people playing 3.5, say people who are 12-14 and weren't alive when those books first came out, can see some of what the game is coming from. Besides, it's part of gamers 'shared culture'.

Do they pay attention to petitionts? That I don't know. Do people pay attention to web banners and bumping posts? To a limited degree so anything is possible.

Darth Krzysztof

First Post
X2 Castle Amber-TWO sequels?

Well, I didn't have many quibbles with the list. Mine would have included Treasure Hunt and the Bloodstone Quartet, but oh well.

In the entry for X2 Castle Amber, John Rateliff mentions that the module spawned "not one, but two sequels."

I know about Mark of Amber. What's the other one?

Darth Krzysztof said:
Well, I didn't have many quibbles with the list. Mine would have included Treasure Hunt and the Bloodstone Quartet, but oh well.

In the entry for X2 Castle Amber, John Rateliff mentions that the module spawned "not one, but two sequels."

I know about Mark of Amber. What's the other one?

Put me up for this too. What was the second Amber sequel?

Remove ads