DungeonaDay and d20srd.org

EricNoah

Adventurer
I should add... I don't think what Monte is doing is wrong; I do think it's a bit inconvenient. I have never DM'd from a book or straight from an SRD - I DM from stat blocks in an adventure when at all possible. If I were printing this all out, I would also feel the need to prepare stat blocks for the creatures, and that would be a little bit of extra homework on my part.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
In DDI, I always open my monsters in TABS in my browser. Having a link for it is nice. No different than what Monty is doing.

Except that DDI is hosting the information it is providing, whereas Monte is using someone else to host the information.

But all in all, it's up to d20srd.org to react to it, if they feel that it is somehow not to their liking. And as long as no-one from d20srd.org is complaining, I reckon they are ok with the situation.

/M

catsclaw227

First Post
So when WoTC says people can't repeat monster stats it's bad but when Monte sends people to another site it's good?

In terms of web navigation, I'd always thought you never want the readers/viewers to leave your site as an old standard.
Generally, it's not what you want to do, but when clicking on a monster in dungeonaday.com, it launches in a separate process. In IE-7 it opens in a new browser window and in Firefox 3, it launches in a new tab - though these are based upon your browser settings.

In this case you aren't sending someone away, you're simply opening a new window, keeping your own still open.

And with regards to Monte not printing stats and WOTC's policy, WOTC's is part of the licensing policy of the GSL, and Monte is using d20srd.org as a convenience.

Yea, it's wrong to condone one and condemn another, but personally, I don't care one way or the other, instead, chalking them up to individual choices/policies that don't bother me in the least.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Hmm.. I'm starting to see the utility in an SRD SDK (software developer's kit) for web applications. Inserting the statblock for a given monster would be as simple as a function call. :)
-blarg

malkav666

First Post
I am guessing since the d20 SRD site is listed as a sponsor on the dungeonaday website that they have no issues with the linking.

love,

malkav

Obryn

Hero
Yeah, I'd be stunned if Monte hadn't arranged things with the d20srd folks in advance. I'm 99% sure this is just fine with them. I'd give the benefit of the doubt here and assume it's okay unless we hear otherwise.

-O

Remove ads