Dungeonology

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
4 out of 5 rating for Dungeonology

I have two young boys, ages 7 and 10. We have three of the -ology guide books: Dragonology, Wizardology, and Dungeonology. I read and explored the entire Dungeonology book with my 7-year-old as bed-time reading and my 10 year old read it himself.

Like all the -ology books, the production values are excellent and there are plenty of fun things to explore in the book. It is a good introduction to Dungeons and Dragons and to the Sword Coast. The large fold-out map is excellent--I wish Sword Coast Adventurer's guild had some of that. The writing is age appropriate and not dumbed down, which I appreciate. I like how all the ology books challenge young readers' vocabulary and reading comprehension in a way that makes it cool or mysterious.

As much as we've enjoyed the book, it is my third favorite of the three -ology books we have.

First, nearly all of the art work is re-used. If you have the core books and the SCAG, you've seen all the art already. That may not matter for the intended audience, but it was disappointing to me.

Second, there are not any tactile elements. In dragonology you have samples of different "dragon skin" you can feel. Wizardology has pull tabs that let you move elements on the page, a phoenix feather, etc. Dungeonology only has some fold out items and envelopes. It is the least creative when it comes to tactile interactions.

Third, there really are not many activities. Wizardology is fun because you have a hidden object game built into it and you can turn the spells into activities. Dungeonology doesn't have anything like that.

All that said, I still give it 4 stars. If you already own and love one of the other -ology books, I would definitely recommend you buy this one. But it is not the first one I would buy.

abe ray

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Dungeonology

this is a Great dnd book for children! lot's of information on various dungeon based topics!

Remove ads