• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer Is A New UK Magazine To Teach D&D

As reported on the Mastering Dungeons podcast, Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a weekly magazine from D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast and UK magazine publisher Hachette Partworks, designed as a magazine run to teach you D&D and serve as an adventure kit. Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a brand new partwork that teaches you how to play the world’s most popular tabletop roleplaying game...

As reported on the Mastering Dungeons podcast, Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a weekly magazine from D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast and UK magazine publisher Hachette Partworks, designed as a magazine run to teach you D&D and serve as an adventure kit.

Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a brand new partwork that teaches you how to play the world’s most popular tabletop roleplaying game, with an exclusive adventure, easy step-by-step instructions and all the background information you need to start creating your own characters and becoming a D&D expert. Collect the specially designed dice given throughout the collection and join us on a wild ride through the D&D journey of a lifetime!

Each of the first four issues also comes with a free dice set, along with bigger goodies every few deliveries, inclusing dice towers, binders, keyrings, even a DM screen. A premium subscripiton throws in miniatures, too. It's kind of a combination of loot box and magazine.

There are currently 80 weekly issues planned. The first issue is £1.99, with subsequent issues costing more at £4.99 for issue #2, and then $7.99 onwards (and the premium subscription versions more at £9.49 per week). As they're weekly, that comes to about £32 per month, or £38 for premium.

The magazine is available in UK stores or via subscription.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.26.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.28.05 PM.png

A premium subscription that includes miniatures.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.29.24 PM.png

home-intro-carousel-image-4.jpeg

Stormonu

Legend
Been in discussion on this on DakkaDakka. My understanding was that the premium miniatures part was cut. From what was discussed on the other site, you get a bunch of cheapo dice and a handful of one-page encounters but the value was relatively low. Seems like you'd get more value out of a starter set, honestly.

Noddy Beholder

Explorer
Been in discussion on this on DakkaDakka. My understanding was that the premium miniatures part was cut. From what was discussed on the other site, you get a bunch of cheapo dice and a handful of one-page encounters but the value was relatively low. Seems like you'd get more value out of a starter set, honestly.
And at £8.99 after the first issue, that's a nope from me!

Dire Bare

Legend
And at £8.99 after the first issue, that's a nope from me!
For the fun stuff you get, the pricing isn't all that bad. The miniatures are the clear acrylic flat minis from Wizkids. Not to everybody's preference, but quality stuff and makes sense for a magazine.

However . . . after looking at the non-magazine stuff (dice, trays, dice jail, flat minis) . . . it's not bad, but it's not anything exciting either. As a long time veteran, I've got all of that kind of stuff that I want. Of course, this is aimed at those new to the hobby . . . .

The magazine itself also seems very bland and yet busy at the same time. Nothing for a veteran, and I'm not sure I'd recommend that format for somebody new to the game.

Hopefully some of our Brit forum members will take the plunge and give us inside details on each issue, but this offering seems like it might not find an audience.

The Hachette partworks magazines for Warhammer seemed a good deal, and made sense as you would get a few new minis each month, giving you time to paint up the last batch. The magazines themselves were probably recyclable, rather than something to keep on your shelf forever.

Noddy Beholder

Explorer
I'll agree it's not bad for a beginner. However the first thing that caught my eye is the intial blurb listed the mag for £4.99 and now it's nearly double that.
According to the comments on the video it will be in the shops here on the 13th. I'll have a wander to W.H.Smiths on Wednesday to see if they have it in. If I find a copy, I'll pop a mini review on here.

Kris

Adventurer
I managed to get #1 delivered (which wasn't a straight forward process)...

Since I was one of the folks that (unwittingly) took part in the trial last year... they sent me an email back in July stating that I'd be getting a couple of issues for free (which is nice):

83QBtta.jpg

So I should be able to report back and see how things have changed/are shaping up!

Noddy Beholder

Explorer
Got a copy!
W.H.Smiths, and Tesco both had it. Forbidden Prices didn't and ASDA were still putting mags out when I went, so I don't know if they had it.
The assistant in Smiths said "This looks like its going to be expensive" ^_^

Attachments

• 20230913_121824.jpg
    20230913_121824.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 58

Remove ads

Remove ads