WotC Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer Is A New UK Magazine To Teach D&D

As reported on the Mastering Dungeons podcast, Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a weekly magazine from D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast and UK magazine publisher Hachette Partworks, designed as a magazine run to teach you D&D and serve as an adventure kit. Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a brand new partwork that teaches you how to play the world’s most popular tabletop roleplaying game...

As reported on the Mastering Dungeons podcast, Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a weekly magazine from D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast and UK magazine publisher Hachette Partworks, designed as a magazine run to teach you D&D and serve as an adventure kit.

Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a brand new partwork that teaches you how to play the world’s most popular tabletop roleplaying game, with an exclusive adventure, easy step-by-step instructions and all the background information you need to start creating your own characters and becoming a D&D expert. Collect the specially designed dice given throughout the collection and join us on a wild ride through the D&D journey of a lifetime!

Each of the first four issues also comes with a free dice set, along with bigger goodies every few deliveries, inclusing dice towers, binders, keyrings, even a DM screen. A premium subscripiton throws in miniatures, too. It's kind of a combination of loot box and magazine.

There are currently 80 weekly issues planned. The first issue is £1.99, with subsequent issues costing more at £4.99 for issue #2, and then $7.99 onwards (and the premium subscription versions more at £9.49 per week). As they're weekly, that comes to about £32 per month, or £38 for premium.

The magazine is available in UK stores or via subscription.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.26.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.28.05 PM.png

A premium subscription that includes miniatures.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.29.24 PM.png

home-intro-carousel-image-4.jpeg

Noddy Beholder

Explorer
  • Issue 1 will be available to buy in UK stores on 13th September.
  • Issue 2 will be available on 27th September.
  • Issue 3 will be available on 4th October.
  • Issue 4 will be available on 11th October.
My post was from last October when there had been no publicity and even the few that had heard of it were unaware it was just a 4 issue trial ^_^

Kris

Adventurer
OK... I've not got around to checking out much of issue two yet - but I've compiled my thoughts on issue one over on my blog:

But my opinion hasn't really changed - so I've mainly concentrated on what they've changed since the trial.

For example they've switched things around a bit:

zcnueJb.jpg

And they've made some changes to what you'll be getting. For example the original plan seems to have been mainly dice:
zO7J0BB.jpg

Whereas now it's a bit more useful:
DVkN6mj.jpg

With any luck I'll take a closer look at #2 later today (or maybe tomorrow).

aco175

Legend
The minis look like something cool I would want even if they are flat plastic, although I hope the picture shows them not to scale. Even the adventure map could be cool if one side was a grid to use the minis on and not just a greater Phandalin regional map.

1695381964890.png

Kris

Adventurer
OK, as promised, here's my look at issue 2:

Basically you get another booklet, a large poster map of the Phandalin region of the Sword Coast, and another set of dice:
itC0pio.jpg

The map is a larger (though single sided) version of the one found in the essentials kit...
FksC7lp.jpg

(the smaller 'essentials' map is shown here for scale)

The dice are nice enough:
JAPfgWk.jpg

And the 'free gift' for subscribing is a little dice tray:
5ja0Hk9.jpg

I go into a bit more detail in the blog post (as it's a bit too long to post all my thoughts here).

Dire Bare

Legend
We're starting to get somewhere with the dice tray and map! But still . . . 9 pounds?

I have students that would LOVE this magazine and it's loot, but . . . they wouldn't be the ones paying, it would be their parents.

But . . . if you are a parent whose not into D&D yourself and don't know where to start for your kid, this magazine might be a good option, if expensive and ultimately your budding Dungeon Master is going to toss all the magazines after finding their gaming legs.

Kris

Adventurer
Yeah, as I say in my blog article/review, this is going to end up being very expensive - and so (in my opinion at least) the kind of 'loot' you get with each issue needs to build up to be something akin to what you might get in a Beadle & Grimm's product - or something like those 'dungeon-in-a-box' monthly subscriptions.

The weird thing about this 'partwork' though, is that they're not telling folks what they'll be getting (in the similar warhammer based ones that they produce, they show you all of the things you'll be getting over the course of the 80 issues up front).

Remove ads

Remove ads